AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 23, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #4,531 of 10,196
   With many of my brighter, more analytical (more expensive) headphones, my ears tend to go into a defensive crouch, so to speak, and I can never truly relax, never truly enjoy my music or the music’s recording values.

But with the Nighthawk, relaxation comes naturally and as a consequence, I can hear more subtleties and details than ever before. It's pretty amazing how relaxed ears (and thus a relaxed mind) can affect your perception of music.

I love how you put this.  These are the words I have been looking for to express how I feel.  Relaxed ears... relaxed mind... perfect!  We can all use a bit of relaxation:)

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #4,532 of 10,196
  Like many members here, my first moments with the AudioQuest Nighthawk elicited a rather dubious response. They indeed sounded a little muffled, a little veiled. But now, after 120 hours of driver burn-in and about 30 hours of brain burn-in, the Nighthawk's sound has grown on me. Actually, that's a big understatement: I unequivocally love how the Nighthawk reproduces music. What at first struck me as a vice (an overly subdued treble response), now impresses me as the rarest of headphone virtues: an involving and detailed sound without a hint of brightness or stridency. Actually, there's a little paradox at work here: With many of my brighter, more analytical (more expensive) headphones, my ears tend to go into a defensive crouch, so to speak, and I can never truly relax, never truly enjoy my music or the music’s recording values. But with the Nighthawk, relaxation comes naturally and as a consequence, I can hear more subtleties and details than ever before. It's pretty amazing how relaxed ears (and thus a relaxed mind) can affect your perception of music. What's more, I can now listen to my music for hours and hours on end without eliciting a hint of tinnitus. Needless to say, guys, I'm very happy to belong to the Nighthawk Club. Cheers everyone!

I think that you just described what many of us have experienced recently with the NightHawk.

Welcome to the club 
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #4,533 of 10,196
[COLOR=222222]Like many members here, my first moments with the [COLOR=222222]AudioQuest[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]Nighthawk elicited a rather dubious response. They indeed sounded a little muffled, a little veiled. But now, after 120 hours of driver burn-in and about 30 hours of brain burn-in, the[/COLOR] Nighthawk's[COLOR=222222]sound has grown on me. Actually, that's a[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]big[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]understatement: I unequivocally love how the Nighthawk[/COLOR][COLOR=222222] reproduces music. What at first struck me as a vice (an overly subdued treble response), now impresses me as the rarest of headphone virtues: an involving and detailed sound without a hint of brightness[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]or[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]stridency.[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]Actually,[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]there's[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]a little paradox[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]at work here:[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]With many of my brighter, more analytical[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222](more expensive)[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]headphones, my ears tend to go into a defensive[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]crouch[/COLOR][COLOR=222222], so to speak, and I can never truly relax, never truly enjoy my music or the music’s recording values. But with the Nighthawk, relaxation comes naturally and as a consequence, I can hear more[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]subtleties[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]and[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]details[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]than ever before. It's pretty amazing how relaxed[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]ears (and thus a relaxed[/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]mind) can affect your perception of music. What's more, I can now listen to my music for hours and hours on end without eliciting a hint of tinnitus.[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]Needless to say, guys, I'm very happy to belong to the Nighthawk Club. Cheers everyone![/COLOR][/COLOR]

I totally agree. I have just crossed the 150 hour mark on mine and will say that they sound significantly better with play time. At first muffled is how they sounded to me. Mids and highs were reigned in and the bass was was a bit sloppy. Now they sound much better. Open, relaxing yet commanding sound. And a glorious midrange. Detailed and resolving. A+ to Audioquest and to Skylar! Thanks for a terrific headphone!

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #4,534 of 10,196
 A+ to Audioquest and to Skylar! Thanks for a terrific headphone!

Yes.... I am so grateful that these exist.  If I had gotten them sooner there are some headphones that I have on my list that I probably would have not bought.  Not all, but a few.

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #4,535 of 10,196
  Yes.... I am so grateful that these exist.  If I had gotten them sooner there are some headphones that I have on my list that I probably would have not bought.  Not all, but a few.

For the first time in my participation of the headfi club (years) I am content and not thinking about gear upgrades. I am just thinking about the music and discovering more music.

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #4,536 of 10,196
  For the first time in my participation of the headfi club (years) I am content and not thinking about gear upgrades. I am just thinking about the music and discovering more music.

I feel the same way. :)

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #4,538 of 10,196
You guys should really EQ the NH with dales settings. It sounds even better.

I've done it, really prefer the stock tuning-smooth as silk!

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #4,539 of 10,196
I like Loquah's review of the HD800S, mostly for his comparison to the Nighthawk at the end. :)

http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen.com/sennheiser-hd800s/

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #4,541 of 10,196
If the cable that comes with the new NH Carbon would be available separately, I'd order the brown NH at once.
But I still cannot find any info how to get this cable  ... so I have to be patient for another period of time ... unfortunately
frown.gif

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #4,542 of 10,196
  If the cable that comes with the new NH Carbon would be available separately, I'd order the brown NH at once.
But I still cannot find any info how to get this cable  ... so I have to be patient for another period of time ... unfortunately
frown.gif

Here ya go, get buying before the price goes back up!

Yes, they will be available separately.

My plan is availability of pads and cables starting December 1. Even if we don't meet that date for whatever reason, it will be very soon after. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back