AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 6, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #3,571 of 10,194
  nice review, thanks. Your comment about the relatively slow decay makes me wonder if you think they're better suited for genres other than, for example, energetic rock or EDM. I've read similar comments in other reviews about how the Nighthawk is a bit lacking in the speed/attack areas -- sort of the opposite of what people say about the Elears. 

Indeed, I've heard headphones better suited for those genres.

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #3,572 of 10,194

nice review, thanks. Your comment about the relatively slow decay makes me wonder if you think they're better suited for genres other than, for example, energetic rock or EDM. I've read similar comments in other reviews about how the Nighthawk is a bit lacking in the speed/attack areas -- sort of the opposite of what people say about the Elears. 

In my opinion TH-X00 for example is generally considered a better choice for EDM. X00's bass can shake your brain while it hits hard, it is very clean powerful and accurate. Treble is elevated too, so it is more 'piercing'. While I still think, X00s are great headphones, especially technically, I find the NH giving me a whole package of listening experience, even with EDM. While X00s bass, speed, and attack is superior in a certain sense, mids and highs sound artificial and lifeless compared to NHs. Also soundstage and imaging is far, far better on the Nighthawks. X00s are very forward, everything is 'in your face', while mids sound slightly more recessed compared to NH, mostly due to the elevated bass and treble on the X00s. While X00s are a very fun pair of headphones, good quality and value for money, in long term its more aggressive presentation can be fatiguing, as it was for me. NH is better with all other genres without a question. And I also enjoy EDM on them very much. I have already mentioned soundstage and imaging, but there are a few more things, like pitch black background (this reminds me to planars), zero distortion, a thick, velvety texture, natural and lifelike presentation. NH gives me an overall 'higher quality', 'more sophisticated', 'delicate' sound and listening experience, while X00 is all about 'party', NH is more versatile. I do not miss anything on NHs when listening to EDM. Bass extention, and even bass quantity is actually very similar to X00s, except the latter hits harder (no surprise, being closed back).
NH is like listening to a slightly older, but truly high quality hi-fi speaker system. X00 is almost like listening to your friends newest high-tech mini stereo with a sub-woofer. Both are fun and good, but the former is just a more complex and more profound experience.

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #3,573 of 10,194
  We are working on 2 types of alternative earpads that will be available soon. One of these is our take on velour, but we're actually using a microsuede that we think is much more comfortable, durable, and overall higher quality. The effect is the same...better ventilation and controlled leakage for about 1–2dB less bass.

The other earpad type is what we call a "boost" pad. Take a look at your stock pads. Notice that the inner ring is a microfiber material. This is used to help control reflections in the presence region. Our "boost" pads replace this inner ring with the same protein leather as the rest of the pad. The result is about 1–2dB boost in presence. It's very subtle, but we have found some of our testers prefer it to the stock pads.

So by the fall, we will have our microsuede and boost pads available. We'll send out an email to our warranty registrants and mailing list subscribers when the time comes. And I can announce here as well if that is helpful and acceptable.

not sure if i missed any updates  but are these available yet?

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #3,574 of 10,194
Hey there,
Anyone here has a FAW Noir hybrid cable for the Nighthawks? I think about getting one.

Cheers

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #3,575 of 10,194
I use my NH with Mojo. Very happy with the pairing. Mojo's precise clarity, but warm and lifelike presentation is a great match to NH's natural, and also lifelike sound. The warm tones come through as clean and clear as possible.
I never thought, a cable will improve this experience for me. Without telling the story of swapping my AQ Cinnamon for a QED Reference, and without the intention of starting a debate on cables I just have to share my own experience.
I find Mojo, NH and the QED cable really amazing together. Using a regular USB cable the sound was good, but having the QED cable now the regular cable sounds muddy, not clear, not that balanced. With QED cable the sound clears out a lot! It definitely brightens up the sound, and with more light more clarity comes. Still not fatiguing at all, but even more realistic, cleaner and sharper. Whether the cable brings only brightness or it really brings better definition, is not my role to judge.
I am just enjoying music right now as I enjoyed it when I bought my X2s 3 years ago (sold since then).
In my opinion, in my experience the QED cable is the missing spice from the mix of Mojo and NH. It brightens up an already great pairing. Brightens, tightens, clears out. All pretty beneficial for NH actually.
And this improvement to my personal little system just makes me feel amazed once again in the history of chasing a better sound. :) What Nighthawks is really capable of, when it is paired to the right equipment, is really surprising. I haven't enjoyed music like this for almost a year.
With NHs I am not listening to a good quality pair of headphones, I am listening to music. Music!. :)

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #3,576 of 10,194
not sure if i missed any updates  but are these available yet?

+1. Just got these and not even close to being broken it (nor my brain) but my initial thought is the pad with leakage would be good...when I pull these off my ear slightly to break the seal, I feel like the overall balance is better. Technically, though, I think they are very good, at least.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #3,577 of 10,194
+1. Just got these and not even close to being broken it (nor my brain) but my initial thought is the pad with leakage would be good...when I pull these off my ear slightly to break the seal, I feel like the overall balance is better. Technically, though, I think they are very good, at least.

nice! so both types of earpads are available? where can i get them?

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #3,578 of 10,194

The nighthawks don't have a break in period, but they do become more enjoyable as you use them and adjust to their sound signature. I've found when wearing glasses and breaking the seal of the pads that the bass is greatly reduced.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #3,579 of 10,194
The nighthawks don't have a break in period, but they do become more enjoyable as you use them and adjust to their sound signature. I've found when wearing glasses and breaking the seal of the pads that the bass is greatly reduced.

Yeah no, lets not go there and avoid making statements like that as if it is fact :)

I don't necessarily believe in the concept of burning in headphones. Over the last year or so I have tried the NH about 5 times at different stores and none of them sound as good as the pair I have on hand (with quite a few hours on them). In fact I compared my unit with two demo units at a local store.  And guess what? The two demo units sounded identical to each other, dark and stuffy. While the pair I have sounds more open with better treble extension.

the only difference being that the pair I have has quite a bit more hours of usage on them. The store demo units were newer without as much use. Anyway not gonna debate this as thats for the science forum but its generally frowned upon here to make statements such as the bolded above fyi. 

the pair I have on hand has quite a few hours on them.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #3,580 of 10,194
Yeah no, lets not go there and avoid making statements like that as if it is fact :)

I don't necessarily believe in the concept of burning in headphones. Over the last year or so I have tried the NH about 5 times at different stores and none of them sound as good as the pair I have on hand (with quite a few hours on them). In fact I compared my unit with two demo units at a local store.  And guess what? The two demo units sounded identical to each other, dark and stuffy. While the pair I have sounds more open with better treble extension.

the only difference being that the pair I have has quite a bit more hours of usage on them. The store demo units were newer without as much use. Anyway not gonna debate this as thats for the science forum but its generally frowned upon here to make statements such as the bolded above fyi. 

the pair I have on hand has quite a few hours on them.

Do you recall them sounding dark and stuffy when you first got them?

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #3,581 of 10,194
Do you recall them sounding dark and stuffy when you first got them?

Not at all, my pair is a loaner from a friend and I have only had them for a week and a half or more and I know its not brain burn in because I switch headphones daily, rotating between HD600, HD380, Beyer DT150, Shure SRH840 and MA900. And Vmoda crossfade wirelss when I am outside commuting. So you can imagine that I don't have enough time to get used to any one sound. Keeps things interesting :wink:

Edit: I had all but written off the NH before hearing my friends pair and I was pleasantly surprised from day one when I noticed the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back