AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 17, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #2,236 of 10,196
I've had NH for quite a while now, will be six months now I think, and they have became my favourite dynamic headphones, from natural, yet juicy sound with mighty bass when needed, to ultra comfortable design, and they only get better.
But they do have one major flaw - they smell funny. I've got used to it long time ago, and I don't find it disguisting or anything, it's just very disctinctive and intense. I've seen some of you writing that the smell goes away with time, and some of you actually like it, but it didn't go away for me. If anything there are days they actually smell stronger than before. I wonder if anyone has similar experience with the smell.

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #2,237 of 10,196
  I've had NH for quite a while now, will be six months now I think, and they have became my favourite dynamic headphones, from natural, yet juicy sound with mighty bass when needed, to ultra comfortable design, and they only get better.
But they do have one major flaw - they smell funny. I've got used to it long time ago, and I don't find it disguisting or anything, it's just very disctinctive and intense. I've seen some of you writing that the smell goes away with time, and some of you actually like it, but it didn't go away for me. If anything there are days they actually smell stronger than before. I wonder if anyone has similar experience with the smell.

It was potent when i first got them but its gone away as time goes on, at the moment i cannot smell it at all. The carry case still has some of the smell its been closed and unused since i got them though.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #2,238 of 10,196

Excellent! I'll be curious to see how you feel it compares to the Black Dragon. 

I probably won't comment on that ... see the quote below 
cool.gif

I was about to express my skepticism about cables....and then I remembered that this was an Audioquest product discussion. LOL.

I go back and forth on the sound issue; to be honest, if there is any difference, it's extremely subtle. That said, I am fan of Moon Audio's build quality - I love the way they look and feel and I've long ago accepted that for me, this influences my overall experience with Head-Fi. YMMV.

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #2,239 of 10,196

I probably won't comment on that ... see the quote below 
cool.gif

I go back and forth on the sound issue; to be honest, if there is any difference, it's extremely subtle. That said, I am fan of Moon Audio's build quality - I love the way they look and feel and I've long ago accepted that for me, this influences my overall experience with Head-Fi. YMMV.

I always found the cable thing usually quite subtle, but it's the type of subtle that tends to bother you as something doesn't sound right with the lesser cable.

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #2,240 of 10,196
Feb 17, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #2,241 of 10,196

Funny, I'd read all these comments, yet when I got mine, they had absolutely no smell whatsoever.

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #2,242 of 10,196

Funny, I'd read all these comments, yet when I got mine, they had absolutely no smell whatsoever.

Mine smelled funny for the first few days to a week. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #2,244 of 10,196
Feb 17, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #2,245 of 10,196
Mine smelled funny for the first few days to a week. 

Maybe everyone's sensitivity to it is different. Like I said, I had no issues with mine. And once burned in, have made the NightHawks my go to choice for headphone listening.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #2,246 of 10,196
  Anyone still using the NH with velour pads?

No. Full velour sounded too thin for me. I settled on the hybrid ones for quite some time and enjoyed them very much but during the last couple weeks, I've been doubting what I'm hearing and have been switching back and forth with the stock pads. Although I might slightly prefer the stock pad sound, the seal makes it FEEL too closed and I get a mild claustrophobic feeling around my ear, which makes me go back to the hybrid. I'm just a confused individual.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #2,248 of 10,196

1. B

No. Full velour sounded too thin for me. I settled on the hybrid ones for quite some time and enjoyed them very much but during the last couple weeks, I've been doubting what I'm hearing and have been switching back and forth with the stock pads. Although I might slightly prefer the stock pad sound, the seal makes it FEEL too closed and I get a mild claustrophobic feeling around my ear, which makes me go back to the hybrid. I'm just a confused individual.

Being a "modular" headphone makes it pretty easy to see if taking the screens sitting behind the driver's off "opens" the sound up a bit.

I think the slight "backwave" of a headphone's driver tends to dampen the driver just enough to interrupt the sound of played musical motes development of a continuation to the harmonic of the note. I don't care for the transient response of Closed Back headphones specifically for this reason.

Semi-open back headphones get you closer to a more reasonably accurate transient response , but you can get closer yet to a more open sound the more you allow the driver to move in a bipolar manner.If you're not comfortable running your NH completely screenless you.can always make up your own less restrictive of air movement out of the headphones, screens.

I can't think of a headphone I've used in the past several years (HFM HE-6, Senn HD800) that was'nt significantly better sounding without anything blocking the headphones backwave. I think that earpads are the wrong place to change air movement in headphones as it's what the driver is doing that has more effect on how open or closed sounding a headphone sounds.

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2,249 of 10,196
Maybe everyone's sensitivity to it is different. Like I said, I had no issues with mine. And once burned in, have made the NightHawks my go to choice for headphone listening.

Yes, just stating that even if there is a bit of a smell it should go away within a short period of time.

I agree about them being my go to headphone, I've been on Head-Fi for close to 14 years and this is the first time I don't feel like I'm waiting for the next thing on the horizon. I'm perfectly happy with my set up as is. Mind you, I am curious what else Skylar has up his sleeve but that's about the only thing that's really only thing that seems like it would be much of a temptation at this point.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #2,250 of 10,196

Haven't used my velour pads for awhile, but I use my Nighthawk for work and the stock pads make it way more accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back