AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Jul 25, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #528 of 957
What's the suggested burn in time for these? 

Out of the box...............I feel they need burn in or something. 

This is the info I got from AudioQuest:

Break-In/Burn-In Time
There has been some discussion regarding the “break-in time” required for NightHawk to reach its optimum performance level. Break-in, or “burn-in,” is essential to any component. In the case of NightHawk, both the headphones themselves and their included AudioQuest cable will require break-in time. Results will vary from user to user, but, as a general rule, we suggest up to 150 hours of break-in on the headphones and up to two weeks of burn-in for the cable. This break-in/burn-in can be achieved without listening: by connecting NightHawk to a system and playing a wide-band audio signal (such as the white- or pink-noise tracks commonly found on test discs) or music that features excellent dynamic range and tonal variation (such as large-scale classical) at a volume of approximately 100db. (You should NOT actually wear NightHawk while performing this, of course.) However, it is also perfectly acceptable for the listener to simply achieve break-in/burn-in through listening to music, as you normally would. The second approach may simply take longer.

Mylar vs Bio-Cellulose
It is also possible that you will require time to become adjusted to NightHawk’s outstanding lack of distortion, which is achieved in part through its bio-cellulose driver diaphragms. Most headphones use diaphragms made of Mylar, which has a very distinct distortion profile, typically breaking up as the audio signal reaches high frequencies of 6 to 10kHz. Listeners who are accustomed to this sound may perceive it as high-frequency “detail,” when, in fact, these perceived details are the result of distortion and/or artificially boosted highs. NightHawk doesn’t boost the highs to create the false perception of greater detail. Instead, NightHawk has a much cleaner frequency response, with much lower distortion.

Two Cables & An Adaptor
NightHawk comes with two cables. The larger cable with the thickly plated silver connectors uses several of the design elements found in our loudspeaker cables: It’s a truly balanced cable with high-purity Solid Perfect-Surface Copper+ (PSC+) conductors in a Double-Star Quad configuration. This is the cable that we intend for dedicated, serious listening at home — a cable that we feel is appropriate for NightHawk. You’ll notice that this cable comes equipped with a quarter-inch plug; this is actually a high-quality adaptor that, when removed, will reveal a 3.5mm plug. We hope you’ll also take the time to compare our adaptor with any other you might have on hand.

The thinner cable, with the gold-plated plugs, is less sophisticated but can withstand more abuse (passing rigorous testing of over 12,000 bends). This is the cable that should be used if the listener intends to take NightHawk on the road, or pass it around during a listening party, etc.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #529 of 957
This paragraph from AQ is interesting:

Mylar vs Bio-Cellulose
It is also possible that you will require time to become adjusted to NightHawk’s outstanding lack of distortion, which is achieved in part through its bio-cellulose driver diaphragms. Most headphones use diaphragms made of Mylar, which has a very distinct distortion profile, typically breaking up as the audio signal reaches high frequencies of 6 to 10kHz. Listeners who are accustomed to this sound may perceive it as high-frequency “detail,” when, in fact, these perceived details are the result of distortion and/or artificially boosted highs. NightHawk doesn’t boost the highs to create the false perception of greater detail. Instead, NightHawk has a much cleaner frequency response, with much lower distortion.

Are there any measurements to actually verify their claims of cleaner less distorted highs? 

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #531 of 957
@DingoSmuggler

Thanks for the references to pages 20 and 21 mate I just went over those references and I think they are important to read both for lovers and dissenters of the Nighthawks. Take a look and see if you agree. Fascinating stuff from Skylar Gray!

Leo

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #532 of 957
  Oregonian, you may have a faulty pair or maybe not. How do you view headphones in general? 
For example, I like Shure SRH1540, Senn HD650 &Audeze LCD-2 that many find lacking highs.
If you find any of the above warm and bassy, as these, folks like me would probably like them.

If you look at my signature you'll see my current collection - I prefer bass-centric headphones in general and fed right the HD800 fits that bill believe it or not.  I just don't feel the NH can match my Denon's.  That said, I will give it more burn in and let it cook in the garage running off a CD for the next few days and then see if there's any improvement before deciding if they are worth keeping. 

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #533 of 957
If you look at my signature you'll see my current collection - I prefer bass-centric headphones in general and fed right the HD800 fits that bill believe it or not.  I just don't feel the NH can match my Denon's.  That said, I will give it more burn in and let it cook in the garage running off a CD for the next few days and then see if there's any improvement before deciding if they are worth keeping. 

Interesting. The Denon do have that extra high end and high mids (that can be grating to some). The HD800 on the best amps were too bright for me. Our ears are all different of course. Two people can generally prefer warm bassy sound and still find two pairs of cans very different. Ear shape and our own specific frequency sensitivity can dictate that.

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #537 of 957
Aug 1, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #540 of 957
 ^ Gotta love new Woo!

@Mediahound How well do the Nighthawks pair with the Oppo HA1? Was thinking of getting the Oppo PM2 but I am really interested in this combo.

It sounds very good, not quite as smooth as my lcd3s but quite nice. You'll probably want to invest in balanced a cable to take full advantage of the HA-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back