AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Jul 23, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #511 of 957
How come not many review on net? A lot of people bought already.

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #512 of 957
How come not many review on net? A lot of people bought already.

My Headphone.guru review won't be up until September. Some of us have a calendar and schedule that is already queued.

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #515 of 957
I am reinterested in these. I think a comparison to a shure 1540 is in order.

Sorry but the best I can do is compare them to the Shure open back 1840's. Briefly: the Nighthawks reach greater depth in the bass than the Shures...and more powerfully. When the bass viol is moving in the deep bass the Nighthawks articulate the movements clearly...no boominess. The Shures are accurate and pretty good, but no match for the NH's!
The mids of both are excellent so the voices of male and female singers are rich and forward...the NH's though have the edge here too. Both of these headphones love to pllay jazz and classical music. The Shures  really are in their glory with trios and string quartets,while the NH's encompass that area too, but go beyond and handle the many instruments of the symphony orchestra with greater aplomb than the Shures. Both are excellent really.
The highs and altissimo range, the Shures are good, but the NH's are better. Smoother, more detailed even when violins play intricate passages near the peak of their highs, the sizzle of cymbals is crisper, the sound of guitarists nails on the strings are absolutely clearly articulated, the banks of first and second violin sections are beautifully reproduced by both, yet here again the Nh's for me seem to handle this even better. Less edginess to the registers above high C. both do justice to the warmth of the cellos and the deep woody textures of those beautiful instruments. The double basses are best handled by the NH's, but the Shures are no slouches either.
The sound stage of the AudioQuests is wider and deeper but not by too much. The Shures once again are pretty darn good.The Shure's are a little drier than the NH's IMHO and somehow make my music slightly less enjoyable than do the Nighthawks.
In sum, both are made to play jazz and classical music, if one must play rock and that sort, the NH's would do better if for no other reason than their fine bass, but they are not happy doing i think...metaphorically.speaking!
Sorry, too much for me to do any more clearly. Hope this helps you or anyone.

Leo

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #516 of 957
What's the suggested burn in time for these? 

Out of the box...............I feel they need burn in or something. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #517 of 957
  What's the suggested burn in time for these? 

Out of the box...............I feel they need burn in or something. 

Something!  I gave them 200hrs and still found boomy bass, midbass was into lower mids, muddy sound that never got better!  I even gave them a shot with my very good DHC aftermarket cables, better, but they didn't do it for me!

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #518 of 957

Something!  I gave them 200hrs and still found boomy bass, midbass was into lower mids, muddy sound that never got better!  I even gave them a shot with my very good DHC aftermarket cables, better, but they didn't do it for me!

Strange eh! I guess you either love or hate these headphones. Muddy and boomy are not words I would use to describe anything about my Nighthawks. Perhaps you have a duff pair.
Whatever burn-in is, it seems 50 to 200 hours.  Whatever it is mine sounded great after 50 hours. Maybe it is a brain thing or maybe like some cars,  electronics may require time running for everything to work up to spec.
I guess the French have it right, chaque'un a son gout, each to his own taste. Forgive me if I murderd the French spelling!
confused.gif

Leo

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #519 of 957
  When I first read about these I was hoping these would sound similar to a D7000 except an open version of it. Does anyone have both to compare?

That would be me.  I actually went back and forth between my LA7000 and the Nighthawk yesterday for a couple of hours after burning them in for about 24 hours. 

I'm not going to be keeping them as they are not quite up to my expectations and since the Denon's sound much better to my ears. 

Packaging is excellent.  Looks like a quality piece of kit with probably the nicest headphone case yet produced and supplied with a headphone.  Very comfy - the pads are very soft and fit my ears very well, and the suspension headband design is really well executed.  Perfect clamp. 

Sound is just a bit too boomy in the bass for my liking - for my preference it is not worthy of it's price tag.  I really wanted to like them and was hoping they would be a good alternative for my family room listening station but unfortunately they are not going to make the cut for me. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #520 of 957
Oh, and the stiff cable is not well done in my opinion.  It feels like you could kink it badly if you looked at it wrong.

The second, very thin cable is an improvement but neither do much for the sound. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #521 of 957
Well, I too have received a pair, and after proper burn-in will be posting my review on my Facebook page: John Crossett - Audio Writer (will let you know when I post the review). 

First impressions, easy to drive (drove my iPhone with no problems), but VERY picky about headphone amps. My Parasound Zdac V.2 sounded pleasant but uninvolving. Switching to my Original Electronics Master opened things up completely - like I was listening to two different headphones. Wouldn't call them bright, nor dark. Maybe a bit on the darker side of neutral, but in a positive way. But remember, this is straight out of the box.

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #524 of 957
Oregonian, you may have a faulty pair or maybe not. How do you view headphones in general? 
For example, I like Shure SRH1540, Senn HD650 & Audeze LCD-2, that many find lacking highs.
If you find any of the above warm and bassy, as these, folks like me would probably like them.

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #525 of 957
I can sure that, the nighthawk bit warm and more suitable for clear and clean sounding gear, when I pair with zx1, thick and colourful but very well match with the new x5, turn the new x5 more smooth and musical, just non stop two days burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back