AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Jan 12, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #214 of 957
Well I guess these were a let down for tyll. He says the lower midrange is muffled and relative to bass is probably about - 5db which is pretty significant. However, I have experience with this exact same problem but on every headphone I have. Not always, but I love listening to music in Dolby headphone due to the entrancing soundscape it replaces normal imaging with. DH always muffled the lower midrange and with male vocals it's pretty much unbearable and will make an lcd3 sound bad in this regard. I'm going to go out on a limb and gguess these have some pretty awesome imaging. Probably great separation of bass without having to recess the full midrange typically found in a u shaped headphone. Sacrifice some lower midrange to flesh out the good stuff in the mid./upper midrange. This might be a good headphone for me as I pretty much never listen to male vocals when listening to headphones. The only time I listen to make vocals is some hip hop here and there and oldies but those are usually reserved for my Bluetooth speaker when I'm cleaning the house, taking a shower or making food. I save to the good stuff for my headphones

OT, but have you tried the SBX Pro surround [Creative's version of DH]. I've been a big advocate of DH, but I think I prefer SBX after getting used to it. Less immersive, more accurate basically,

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #215 of 957
No I have not. What products is SBX available on? I use an astro mixamp for xbx1. Don't have a custom computer anymore just my laptop.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #216 of 957
No I have not. What products is SBX available on? I use an astro mixamp for xbx1. Don't have a custom computer anymore just my laptop.

For PC, it's most of Creative soundcards, for consoles, it's the Recon3D USB or the new Creative SB X7.

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #217 of 957
For UK Head-Fiers - Not only can you get a listen to the Nighthawk at our 2015 Head-Fi meet, but Audioquest are kindly donating it at the end of the day to the charity raffle we're running 
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #219 of 957
Tyll came to visit the AudioQuest room at CES and audition the NightHawk headphones the morning after a very difficult evening for him, an evening where Tyll was robbed of most of his belongings. (That is only a small part of the story of what happened to him the night before.) I'm not sure how he actually managed under those circumstances.

From his postings over at Inner Fidelity it's clear that Tyll is going to tell the full story of his most unfortunate evening very soon.

We certainly look forward to having Tyll evaluate NightHawk under much better conditions and circumstances.

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #220 of 957
Wish I could pre-order these...

Oh BTW, welcome to Head-Fi, Mr. Harley!

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #222 of 957
Jan 19, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #223 of 957
This liquid wood sounds very similar to the wood used in flaxwood guitars. Flaxwood says it is much easier to control their wood-like wood product and I imagine in terms of sound engineering this would be about the same.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #224 of 957
  Tyll came to visit the AudioQuest room at CES and audition the NightHawk headphones the morning after a very difficult evening for him, an evening where Tyll was robbed of most of his belongings. (That is only a small part of the story of what happened to him the night before.) I'm not sure how he actually managed under those circumstances.

From his postings over at Inner Fidelity it's clear that Tyll is going to tell the full story of his most unfortunate evening very soon.

We certainly look forward to having Tyll evaluate NightHawk under much better conditions and circumstances.

Joe Harley is a pretty good "Recording Engineer" (I believe I had an LP or 2, that he worked on for Audioquest)

There may be some hope (if Joe had any input in the Nighthawk's development) that these headphones are good performers. (Not that I was inclined to believe otherwise as "I" haven't heard them listening to "my source material" through equipment " I'm" familiar with.

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #225 of 957
  Joe Harley is a pretty good "Recording Engineer" (I believe I had an LP or 2, that he worked on for Audioquest)

There may be some hope (if Joe had any input in the Nighthawk's development) that these headphones are good performers. (Not that I was inclined to believe otherwise as "I" haven't heard them listening to "my source material" through equipment " I'm" familiar with.

Not only that, he was behind the fabulous Music Matters reissues..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back