AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Sep 1, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #781 of 957
That is an interesting school of thought. How do you explain those audiophiles who change their amp, speakers, sources every 6 months to get a different sound? I am not saying they are right or should be an example (this compulsive behaviour is another topic), but if people do not want to go out of their comfort zone, how do you explain those audiophiles who are always changing gear and tinkering?

Most change gear thinking it has the base of what they like to hear - Plus more. There is really only 2 base for music. Solid state and tube..

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #782 of 957

Well Leo, mine and a few others are out there now, and the polarization of opinions hasn't abated in the least.

I have said, do say, and will continue to state - if you go into a listening session with (a fully burned-in) pair of NightHawks with preconceived notions of how they will sound, then that's what you'll hear - your preconceived notions. If you go into a session open minded, you will probably come out of it with an informed opinion. Also, you need to take a fair amount of time with these. A five minute sound byte will NOT give you a full appreciation for what the NightHawks do so well.

Well said John. If I had taken just 5 minutes to listen to my speakers, they would NOT be my speakers 
bigsmile_face.gif

Tyl on Innerfidelity has written a great article on left brain VS right brain perception that was posted yesterday. As a student of psychology and brain function, his article really lit up a few lights for me. I suggest people read it. It is illuminating...

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #783 of 957
I have the HE 500's and the HD 650's and I also agree the Nighthawks are nowhere near muddy. Comparing the Nighthawks to the HE500's (and both sound extremely sweet) I'd say the Nighthawks have the edge in both clarity and power, while at the same time being very smooth. 

HD650 imo doesn't belong in the same conversation with the HE500 and the Nighthawks. Nice headphones but weak and boring. Soundstage on the 650's have always disappointed me.
listen to the HD650 on a suitable amp. Your issues with soundstage will vanish and the boring sound will be one of the best you've heard. If you like the HE-500..the HD650 will be a dream losing out on sub bass only to the Hifimans. The HD650 always sound slow and closed in with a bad matched amp.

Bottle head crack and speedball with upgraded tubed didnt change the soundstage presentation that much. It made them faster, tighter, clearer, and a little brighter, but the soundstage doesn't dramatically increase.

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #784 of 957

Your 2nd paragraph is a straw man argument.

I disagree. It was just a few pages back that someone here was trying to tell anyone posting anything other than something positive about these headphones to basically shut up:

It is obvious you don't really like them. Nobody said you needed to overhype the NH's,you were the one accusing us of overhyping the Nighthawks, because really they are mid-fi quality and not really that good.
You are welcome to your opinions, but please refrain from running down the opinions of the NH lovers. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable. Now go ahead with your insults and twisting of words again genius.

Leo

So yeah, I think what I said is in fact what has been going on:

Quote:

What's wrong is when you have defenders of a certain headphone like we have here in this thread, who refuse to believe someone else may think another headphone sounds better, and then they get offended in hearing that opinion, as if we just insulted their family or something.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #787 of 957
Sep 2, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #789 of 957

I disagree. It was just a few pages back that someone here was trying to tell anyone posting anything other than something positive about these headphones to basically shut up:

So yeah, I think what I said is in fact what has been going on:

Quote:

What's wrong is when you have defenders of a certain headphone like we have here in this thread, who refuse to believe someone else may think another headphone sounds better, and then they get offended in hearing that opinion, as if we just insulted their family or something.

deadhorse.gif

No more responses from me on this contrived bitterness. Save your breath mate! Forget it and enjoy whatever headphones you like listening to your favourite music. Try Mozart...very calming!
I will just sit back  and enjoy my music on the controversial Nighthawks and also on my Shure 1840's which are also pretty dang good ear goggles too. Some jazz by the great bassist McBride and his Trio.

Leo

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #790 of 957
A dac designer that I trust with musical taste just recommended the NH. - Definitely getting one now. It's designer of Chord Hugo btw. It's a good surprise.

Wonderful! That is indeed a pleasant surprise! I have great regard for the Chord Hugo and would have now if I hadn't already the Benchmark 1 USB and the very excellent Light Harmonic Pulse X Infinity DAC/Headphone Amps.

Leo

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #791 of 957

I did. 

You mean Leo's post where he called you genius? No way! He does not tell anyone to shut up or to not post negative messages. Here is his message:

"It is obvious you don't really like them. Nobody said you needed to overhype the NH's,you were the one accusing us of overhyping the Nighthawks, because really they are mid-fi quality and not really that good.
You are welcome to your opinions, but please refrain from running down the opinions of the NH lovers. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable. Now go ahead with your insults and twisting of words again genius."

Leo

Read it again. You are putting words in his mouth.

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #792 of 957
He wasn't addressing me, he was replying to someone else. I would recommend you read a few pages back so you can have the full context. 

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #793 of 957
http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php/equipment-menu/669-audioquest-nighthawk-headphones
a new review, and frankly the best one on nighthawks. please go and read it. 
here are their measurements(raw fr graph)

very similar to the hifi news measurements and alpha audio's that already posed in this thread.

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #794 of 957
  http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php/equipment-menu/669-audioquest-nighthawk-headphones
a new review, and frankly the best one on nighthawks. please go and read it. 
here are their measurements(raw fr graph)

very similar to the hifi news measurements and alpha audio's that already posed in this thread.

Looks about right in terms of how they sound to me. Bassy, upper mids hole. Which I guess is why some vocals sound a bit thin with them. 

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #795 of 957
knowhatimean said:
Being creatures of habit, there is little we dislike less than moving out of our comfort zone (even if change

has the potential to be more beneficial !

That is an interesting school of thought. How do you explain those audiophiles who change their amp, speakers, sources every 6 months to get a different sound? I am not saying they are right or should be an example (this compulsive behaviour is another topic), but if people do not want to go out of their comfort zone, how do you explain those audiophiles who are always changing gear and tinkering?

That's actually an easy answer !

Things are only outside of your comfort zone if you are doing (or trying) something that's
a new behavior . For an Audiophile, making constant changes may actually be right in the
wheelhouse of what they're very comfortable doing

Person's comfort zones may not even have much to do with what's reasonable or not. They're individual reactions to individual events,that are probably only explainable to oneself !

(I would bet a lot of people would be be surprised at all the quirky things that affect Psychologists comfort zones (or lack of). A lot of them chose this profession to figure themselves out !)

Comfort Zones just are (Or aren't) !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back