AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Sep 2, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #811 of 957
I've heard rumors from the local retailer that they are working on a fully closed design. If they can capture the sound if the current NHwk but fully closed, it would be an instant buy.

Add some color dye options to the liquid-wood and they would capitalize on the mainstream consumer market... I personally would like to see metalic black and grey liquid-wood among other options.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #812 of 957

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing!  
biggrin.gif

While Skylar told me that they plan on offering some alternate earpads that will somewhat alter the NightHawk's FR, it probably won't do enough to 'fix' the FR issues that a lot of us have problems with.  I really think they should just offer two completely different versions, the current one that has AQ's house sound and one that has a more 'conventional' and an arguably more neutral tuning, and just let us decide which version we prefer.

You're Welcome, America!

Why? If you go to all the trouble of designing a headphone from the ground up, as AudioQuest has done with the NightHawks, to sound as they do, market it, and then make "just another headphone" to please those not enamored with the current sound of the NightHawks? If you don't like the NightHawks sound, there are plenty of other choices out there. I think AudioQuest is doing what they believe in, and will let the market decide if they are right or wrong.

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #813 of 957

...I think AudioQuest is doing what they believe in, and will let the market decide if they are right or wrong.

I'm becoming a believer.

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #814 of 957
I will know tomorrow if I am a believer! :wink:

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #815 of 957
Do you have a link? Googling doesn't show up.

No it's in the latest magazine which I browsed at the local news agent. The online reviews are usually a month or so behind I think.

The NightHawk has also been reviewed by HiFi Choice  in a group test. They did like it. Found it the most comfortable headphone the reviewer had tried. They also seem to like everything about the sound as well including the high-frequency detail. They actually found the thinner cable had less detail and a narrower soundstage !

Despite the positive 4 Star review they rated it behind the 5 Star Oppo PM2, Fostex TH50RP and AT W1000Z (in that order), equal to the Sony Z7 and ahead of the SR325e (too forward sounding). If it had been a What HiFi comparison the Grado would have no doubt been rated higher; they do like their Grados.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #816 of 957
I will know tomorrow if I am a believer!
wink.gif

Just make sure they are fully burned in and you give them enough listening time to really get a full handle on the sound. The NightHawks are NOT a wow-you-in-five-minute-audition headphones. But give them an album or two and - this is truly important - go into your audition with an open mind. Listen to what they do and let your ears (as opposed to others opinions) make up your mind. Then, if you find they aren't for you, that's cool. You'll have given them a fair shake. Nothing is for everyone - the NightHawks included. But if you do like them, it'll be hard to part with them.

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #817 of 957
Do you have a link? Googling doesn't show up.

No it's in the latest magazine which I browsed at the local news agent. The online reviews are usually a month or so behind I think.

The NightHawk has also been reviewed by HiFi Choice  in a group test. They did like it. Found it the most comfortable headphone the reviewer had tried. They also seem to like everything about the sound as well including the high-frequency detail. They actually found the thinner cable had less detail and a narrower soundstage !

Despite the positive 4 Star review they rated it behind the 5 Star Oppo PM2, Fostex TH50RP and AT W1000Z (in that order), equal to the Sony Z7 and ahead of the SR325e (too forward sounding). If it had been a What HiFi comparison the Grado would have no doubt been rated higher; they do like their Grados.

How much personal preference matters. The only one That beats out the Nighthawk out of that group is the W1000Z imo. I heard them both at Can Jam and bought the Nighthawk because the Z isn't coming out until October

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #818 of 957
Here is another review of the Nighthawk by John Darko.  A different kind of review for a very different set of headphones!

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/the-audioquest-nighthawk-headphones/

Leo

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #819 of 957
My local dealer is starting to get into Headphones. He has been an Audioquest dealer for many years. Here is his review from their store's web site. Interesting reading.

http://ultrafi.com/audioquest-nighthawk-2/

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #820 of 957
Longbowbbs, seems your dealer friend didn't change as much as he finally put aside what others had said about the NightHawks and went back to listing to them with an open mind. Amazing what one hears when they are willing to do that.

Sep 4, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #821 of 957
Longbowbbs, seems your dealer friend didn't change as much as he finally put aside what others had said about the NightHawks and went back to listing to them with an open mind. Amazing what one hears when they are willing to do that.

That is true, I have always found it's best to go into a new piece of gear with an open mind. If your not open-minded about audio gear, it will influence your perceptions. All one has to do is sit back and listen and take in the experience and the sound profile of the gear will present itself naturally. Trying to force yourself to analyze the sound I found simply causes confusion. 

Sep 4, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #822 of 957
Nighthawk has landed! :D Impressions to follow after some hours of use.

Sep 4, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #823 of 957
HiFlight, let us know what you think (after giving the NightHawks some burn-in time AND giving them more than a few minutes to impress you). Always good to hear someone's new impressions - good or bad. We all hear and expect different things. But if you find you like the NightHawks, you'll be spoiled for most everything else.

Sep 4, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #824 of 957
HiFlight, let us know what you think (after giving the NightHawks some burn-in time AND giving them more than a few minutes to impress you). Always good to hear someone's new impressions - good or bad. We all hear and expect different things. But if you find you like the NightHawks, you'll be spoiled for most everything else.

Will do...What is important for me is comfort an immersive experience with the music such as I get when listening to my Magnaplan speakers. I am always searching for that illusive "I am there" feeling in my listening.

Sep 4, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #825 of 957
As an old Magnapan fan from way back I know what you mean. To be honest, outside of the bass (which is much deeper and better defined than my old 1.6's) the NightHawks sound more like Maggie's than any of the planar headphones I've heard. Plus, the NightHawks are so damn comfortable that you'll forget you're wearing them and just get lost in the music. Put on a favorite album (I've got the Classic Records DAD of Something Else playing right now) and see if you find yourself listening to the whole album without even realizing it. That's what keeps happening to me, I put on a disc for a track or two and end up listening from front to back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back