AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Aug 17, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #616 of 957

I have no idea who Dale Thorn is, but could you please post the link to that thread/article, cuz that sounds like a hilarious read! 
atsmile.gif

Thanks!

The comment was made in the comments section at the end of this article:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/tin-eared-americans#AsoLOLED0KxEEwvY.97

Dale and I each made 3 or 4 comments to each other. He called me the house troll on Stereophile and head-fi. I replied that contrary to him, I had never been banned from head-fi. 

Since the comments were off topic and a bit nasty, they were deleted after a few hours by Stereophile. You can only see one of Dale's comments (that is on topic).

You can always read this review of Dale's:

http://headfonics.com/2011/08/shure-srh-940-our-man-is-comparing-it-to-the-hd800-is-he-mad/ 

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #619 of 957
Congrats! Let us know what you think of them when they arrive! Mine come on Thursday, and I'm quite anxious to get my hands on them. I'd be especially curious to hear how they stack up against your dt150.

I'm not sure when I get mine yet, haven't been shipped yet, I think I'll get them on Monday though. I will compare them to the DT 150, HD 650,  and my modded T50RP as I would say all the phones are on the dark and smooth side.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #620 of 957
  Earlier posted graphs show great subs, the loudest point being 100-200 hz (& not okay until 500 hz) and a massive 1 khz dip.
If I'd not seen that graph, I could have drawn that based on what I heard. Nice subs, boxy high bass & low mids. Lacks 1 khz.

1) Go full open back. Reduces boxy resonance. Shure SRH1540, less costly & closed, is far better at being non boxy resonant.
2) Bring down 100-500 hz as a gradual slope from a high point below 100 hz. Bring up 1 khz, the rest of the sound was good.

Couldn't agree with your assessment more after a very quick listen since I just got these in (I'm running a burn-in on my set now). The funny thing though is re: your 1st point, if I cover the grills, it actually reduces some of that boxy resonance sound... Eager to see how the sound profile might change after burn-in since luckily for me, I find the comfort to be pretty good.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #622 of 957
Just got the headphones about 15 minutes ago and wow I am very impressed. I got very lucky with the 400$ price I paid and they were brand new, the box wasn't even opened! I had to do away with security seals. I've been listening straight out of my phone(htc one m8) and they sound absolutely amazing. At the moment I have these, ultrasone signature pros, and a pair of woodied sr225e's.
These are obviously better than the other two, right off the bat they are some of the most natural and beautiful headphones I've ever heard. I remember being wowed by these even more than the audeze xc when I compared the two, even though the xc is technically better. I'm in the stage where I'm listening to music I've never heard before, genre's that I usually wouldn't raise an ear to, and it all sounds fantastic. This is what I had hoped the Sony z7 sounded like.

As of now the bass isn't the tightest, but it is nice and full with great impact. No bass sounds tight after hearing the sig pro, but these definitely get my approval. The mids are suprisingly clear and articulate even with the boosted bass and they seem to draw a lot of attention because they are so 3d and realistic. The treble is simply the best I've heard. Maybe not the most perceived detail because it is not boosted like many headphones I've owned, but it is full of micro detail while being a bit relaxed. Never will it fatigue you, but it will always present detail in full affect. It sounds insanely natural none the less, and this is a great feat for a headphone with this tone. The soundstage is very large, maybe not as big as the th600 or hd700, but what is important about this soundstage is how 3d it sounds. Absolutely amazing.

So as you can probably tell, I'm in the honeymoon phase with these phones. But I can tell you right now, that even with my addiction of buying and selling headphones, these aren't going anywhere. Ever.

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #623 of 957
Just got the headphones about 15 minutes ago and wow I am very impressed. I got very lucky with the 400$ price I paid and they were brand new, the box wasn't even opened! I had to do away with security seals. I've been listening straight out of my phone(htc one m8) and they sound absolutely amazing. At the moment I have these, ultrasone signature pros, and a pair of woodied sr225e's.
These are obviously better than the other two, right off the bat they are some of the most natural and beautiful headphones I've ever heard. I remember being wowed by these even more than the audeze xc when I compared the two, even though the xc is technically better. I'm in the stage where I'm listening to music I've never heard before, genre's that I usually wouldn't raise an ear to, and it all sounds fantastic. This is what I had hoped the Sony z7 sounded like.

As of now the bass isn't the tightest, but it is nice and full with great impact. No bass sounds tight after hearing the sig pro, but these definitely get my approval. The mids are suprisingly clear and articulate even with the boosted bass and they seem to draw a lot of attention because they are so 3d and realistic. The treble is simply the best I've heard. Maybe not the most perceived detail because it is not boosted like many headphones I've owned, but it is full of micro detail while being a bit relaxed. Never will it fatigue you, but it will always present detail in full affect. It sounds insanely natural none the less, and this is a great feat for a headphone with this tone. The soundstage is very large, maybe not as big as the th600 or hd700, but what is important about this soundstage is how 3d it sounds. Absolutely amazing.

So as you can probably tell, I'm in the honeymoon phase with these phones. But I can tell you right now, that even with my addiction of buying and selling headphones, these aren't going anywhere. Ever.

Sounds like you really are enjoying them. I have mine coming in tomorrow. I also got mine for $400 as well and it came with the warranty, I'm curious if they are going to end up being new like yours or not.

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #624 of 957
Just got mine also. $400 open box on Amazon, but were brand new having never been opened. Only listened to them for about 10 min but love them already. Don't find them dark sounding at all, but I'm coming from a pair of MDR-Z7's. I had grown to like the MDR-Z7's but not so sure I'm going to be keeping them now. We'll see when the honeymoon phase is over.

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #625 of 957
What's with all these brand new ones selling for $400.? I guess they can't get rid of them or something?

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #626 of 957
At 400$ these are a complete steal. I wouldn't mind paying 600$ for these either, and at their retail price I think they are an astounding value. With the technology and effort put into designing these I think they could easily fit in the 1000$ price category.

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #627 of 957

I guess there are open box deals because there were many who were curious to try this newly developed headphone but probably did not spend enough time to burn them in and give them a chance so made a cursory judgement and returned them. Shame, as they are really missing out on something special. I love my Nighthawks, but then again, I don't own more expensive headphones so it is all relative - something that seems so easily forgotten on this forum when making judgements. 

I am fairly new to this hobby/forum but I am constantly amazed by the almost fanatical comparisons made even with Ethers and Hifiman HE1000 against the Nighthawks. How is that logical? Obviously they are different tiered headphones, even different technologies, but we still get the myriad of comparisons. I just don't get how it is remotely useful.

Anyway. Each to their own and it means that  lucky people get to grab an even more amazing bargain for these superb headphones.

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #629 of 957

I guess there are open box deals because there were many who were curious to try this newly developed headphone but probably did not spend enough time to burn them in and give them a chance so made a cursory judgement and returned them. 

The above posters said they were brand new, still sealed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back