AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Aug 8, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #589 of 957
Mine is longer than wide, but still wider than average. I'm 6'5", it's not surprising. Can you bend the headband a bit to fix that?

I have a big head as well (6'4") and have no issues. My ears are also tall and slightly touch inside, but it's still comfortable. Almost no earpads fit my ears.

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #590 of 957
It's interesting to see headfiers deciding to set conclusion and sell off headphones with only 24 hours break-in. Please give audio equipment enough time to break-in else you do not know what you are missing out. Many years ago I bought PK1 after hearing so much rave reviews. I was disappointed when I first listen to it after 24 hours break-in. I was wondering what's wrong with these people raving about these crappy earphones.

Not giving up, I plug it to a portable receiver and run in with pink noise for a week before picking it up for a listen again. I'm glad i did not give up cos there were significant improvements after extended break-in. Therefore I hope headfiers do give audio equipment ample breakin before making decisions. Cheers!

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #591 of 957
It's interesting to see headfiers deciding to set conclusion and sell off headphones with only 24 hours break-in. Please give audio equipment enough time to break-in else you do not know what you are missing out. Many years ago I bought PK1 after hearing so much rave reviews. I was disappointed when I first listen to it after 24 hours break-in. I was wondering what's wrong with these people raving about these crappy earphones.

Not giving up, I plug it to a portable receiver and run in with pink noise for a week before picking it up for a listen again. I'm glad i did not give up cos there were significant improvements after extended break-in. Therefore I hope headfiers do give audio equipment ample breakin before making decisions. Cheers!

To be fair, burn-in doesn't completely change a headphone's sound signature. It really just refines it and smoothes out the rough edges. I can tell within moments if I'm likely to enjoy headphones even before burn-in.

That said, the Nighthawk is unique enough both in signature and lack of fatigue that it's worth fully burning in and listening to see if you "get" it.

So many of us have become used to particular types of distortion or enhanced treble that we may never enjoy headphones without it. I still instantly enjoy my Fostex TH600, but have to give the Nighthawk a few minutes each session to sink in.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #592 of 957
Yeah, I had thought mine were getting better but I switched to my lcd3's and then back to the Nighthawk's. It was my ears/hearing that was getting used to the Nighthawk's, they didn't actually sound that much different over time. After I went back to them they then sounded worse.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #593 of 957

So, I took a gamble without auditioning these and have had my Nighthawks burning in for a couple of days now. 

Out of the box, I kind of understand why there has been such a range of reactions from people – this headphone does not sound like any other I have heard to date. Unlike most headphones that I have owned or demoed incl. various Senn’s, Beyers, AKG, AT, Grado NAD, B&W, Oppo etc, where the sound is very up front and in your face, the first impression this headphone gave me was that of sitting facing two great speakers rather than listening to headphones. I think that is their point of difference I guess. It is definitely a headphone that you need to approach with an open mind, and one that challenges your pre-conceptions. I have to say in all honesty that although I appreciate and enjoy the sound, I am still adjusting to the sonority of these headphones – it seems to take me a few tracks to get into it, but then I am totally hooked.

Many have described its warm, smooth and lush qualities as a negative, but to me, that is what makes this headphone so inherently musical. As a professional musician, I have gone through so many headphones in the past few years looking for one that will offer an engaging and musical presentation where I can really fully engage in the music itself and not be distracted by the particular sonic qualities of the headphone. It’s just a bonus how beautiful these look, added to their comfort and excellent build quality. I do find the cables to be way too long for desktop use.

Many have commented that these lack detail and yet, I am hearing nuances from my recordings that I have never been aware of before: fingers on saxophone keys, strings being plucked and released, harmonics on piano, the breathing of vocalists etc, however, despite this, I do feel at times there is a slight haziness to the sound at the moment which I am hoping will improve with burn in – of course, that could be me just getting used to not hearing distortion in the sound. It is certainly smooth and non-fatiguing.

I have to say that it has taken me a while to decide whether to get these due to all of the conflicting impressions but, despite it being early days so far, I am glad that I took a chance and got to experience them. If this headphone only gets better with burn in, then I am really looking forward to getting accustomed to their luscious sound and getting lost in my music. Just my personal opinion of course – we are all different but these headphones are definitely worth some extended head time and consideration.  Kudos to Skyler and AQ for thinking outside the box to bring us something different and unique.

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #595 of 957

@Tagjazz
I couldn't agree with you more. I have had them now for a month and I am so delighted. As an amateur musician I find myself being more absorbed with the music I listen to than ever before...and enjoying it more too. They are indeed like a pair of excellent speakers...a pair of very clear, natural and musical speakers.
I am always cautious when reading the reports and reviews of people who are amateur or even some professional reviewers, because they must keep a steady stream of headphones coming through, so finding a pair that are the best and final ones to keep is not really their schtick. For myself, I was looking for the ONE and I found it in the Nighthawks. I have never found listening so engaging and such pure pleasure until Skylar's babies. I have no intention of playing fast and loose with success in the form of these remarkable ear goggles.
Wait and listen some more...you ain't seen nothing yet!

Leo

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #596 of 957
  I'm hearing "more plush than the HD650". How about comparisons to the Sony MDR-Z7. I hear the same feedback on that.

I would say they are pretty comparable in overall SQ, with the NightHawk's being the mellower of the two, which for me is just too mellow.

I hope that AQ comes out with the somewhat brighter-sounding 'alternate' earpads soon, because that could change my opinion of them.

As they are now, I love everything about them except for their (to my ears) overly mellow tuning.
redface.gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #597 of 957

I would say they are pretty comparable in overall SQ, with the NightHawk's being the mellower of the two, which for me is just too mellow.

I hope that AQ comes out with the somewhat brighter-sounding 'alternate' earpads soon, because that could change my opinion of them.

As they are now, I love everything about them except for their (to my ears) overly mellow tuning.
redface.gif

I think that perhaps the Nighthawks might not be the right ones for Heavy Metal and the louder types of more youthful music...forgive me because I am old,  80, and I don't know all the different genres beloved by the young. But for jazz and classical music I find them fine and not overly mellow. Chaq'un a son gout eh! Ah the French!
Leo the ancient

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #599 of 957
  I wonder if velour pads (like alternative HM5 pads) would fit this. They tend to cut bass and brighten headphones.

They would, but you'd have to poke a few holes where they slot in because there are little attachment pegs on the earpads. You could definitely try it without poking holes in and see if you like the sound, then could mark dots on them and poke holes in later (and if you want to go really pro, put little rings around the holes to reinforce them).

I might try this out, but my son (toddler) took one of my velour pads and I have no idea where it is right now. I do have hybrid HM5 pads I could test it out with, which are the halfway point between velour and pleather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back