AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Aug 12, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #602 of 957
That should be cool to try (if I end up getting these). Velour can surprise sometimes. It usually cuts sub bass, but not always.

Edit - Tried a pair that was fairly broken in, at a store. Clamps a little hard, and can't be adjusted. They reached my ears fine.
Earlier posted graphs show great subs, the loudest point being 100-200 hz (& not okay until 500 hz) and a massive 1 khz dip.
If I'd not seen that graph, I could have drawn that based on what I heard. Nice subs, boxy high bass & low mids. Lacks 1 khz.

1) Go full open back. Reduces boxy resonance. Shure SRH1540, less costly & closed, is far better at being non boxy resonant.
2) Bring down 100-500 hz as a gradual slope from a high point below 100 hz. Bring up 1 khz, the rest of the sound was good.
2) Make strap tension adjustable two ways, for less pressure on top for long heads, and on the sides / clamp, for wider heads.

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #603 of 957
Just bought a pair of "open box" nighthawks off Amazon for 400$! Patience pays off, suprised I got such a good price. Anyways, will leave impressions once I recieve them, and also did anyone else see dalethorns revised review on these? Said they are possibly the best headphones he's ever owned.

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #604 of 957
I own the Nighthawk's and love them
Just bought a pair of "open box" nighthawks off Amazon for 400$! Patience pays off, suprised I got such a good price. Anyways, will leave impressions once I recieve them, and also did anyone else see dalethorns revised review on these? Said they are possibly the best headphones he's ever owned.

I own the Nighthawk's and love them! They are truly great headphones. As for Dale Thorn, he says a lot of things…

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #605 of 957
I own the Nighthawk's and love them

I own the Nighthawk's and love them! They are truly great headphones. As for Dale Thorn, he says a lot of things…

Yes I demoed the nighthawks and I can confidently say they are the most unique headphones I've heard, and in a good way. Haha you are right, Dalethorn does say a lot of things and in all honesty I highly doubt these outdo the beyer t1 or the hd800 that he has owned. I do believe a good comparison would be between the nighthawks and the fad pandora hope vi though.
I'm surprised there isn't more interest in these... They are amazing phones.

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #606 of 957
I am now 5 days into burn in and WOW, I am loving these headphones. They are so lush and warm but with beautiful detail. I love the soundstage too - it makes me feel like I am right there in the performance. I have had a lot of neutral-ish headphones of late and I have to say that I much prefer this type of signature. I am getting all of the details and nuances I need form my music but also am completely engaged. in fact, it's so much fun to listen with these that I just can't take the Nighthawks off. I want to keep listening…just one more song. For me, these are a winner and I will be hanging onto them for a very long time. Skylar - you rock!

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #607 of 957
Yes I demoed the nighthawks and I can confidently say they are the most unique headphones I've heard, and in a good way. Haha you are right, Dalethorn does say a lot of things and in all honesty I highly doubt these outdo the beyer t1 or the hd800 that he has owned. I do believe a good comparison would be between the nighthawks and the fad pandora hope vi though.
I'm surprised there isn't more interest in these... They are amazing phones.

This is not a response to you Jackson9696. It is just that your comment brought to mind other comments regarding Dale on this forum.
First of all, I for one listen very carefully to what Dale Thorn says and not with my tongue in my cheek. What he has said about the Nighthawk makes sense to me and has been borne out in my experience in over a month with  these headphones. It is possible to not agree with him without the derision. He certainly has been around the block many times and must know something. It is always better to agree to disagree, rather than to publicly chide.
It might be interesting to see Tyll over at Inner Fidelity or some other reputable pro do a comparison between the Nighthawks and several top of the line head-cans that have been around for awhile. Of course one has to understand that it would be dicey for the reviewer, who has to be careful what he says so he can keep in good stead with the companies that are prominent in his life and in making his living. I have a feeling it won't happen in any meaningful way.
Maybe it is enough to make a decision and enjoy whatever new headphones one chooses after a fair audition. A consensus  on which is the best headphone will never be reached, although there are some that are adored by many audiophiles that stand out clearly as excellent such as the 800's and the T1's et al . I have heard many say that their $40 headphones sound great and hate ones that we audiophiles love. My wife would be one of those!! Mercy! She thinks my Nighthawks are pretty, but beyond that a waste of money...also my Benchmark DAC, my Pulse X Infinity DAC, mu Shure 1840's...and so on.

My two cents
Leo

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #608 of 957
Yes I agree that dalethorn is very experienced and most likely knows what he is talking about, but as a headphone reviewer I don't believe he should be equalizing as much as he does. Headphone reviews are meant to help those interested in a particular set, and most people don't eq.
Anyways, he says that the nighthawks may be the best headphones he's owned, and in my opinion they are the third best I've heard behind the lcd 3 and lcd xc which isn't too bad at all considering I prefer them to the beyer t5p, shure 1540, ultrasone sig pro, fostex th600 and zmf vibro. With these phones listed it really all comes down to preference though.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #609 of 957

I don't pay much attention to the equalizing, because I never use it. I am always interested in his commentaries on the strengths and weaknesses as he sees them. I don't always agree, but he is pretty good at describing how a certain earphone sounds in my estimation, because I very often agree.
The  whole thing about reviews is to use them only as a guide, Some people swear by what a certain reviewer says and act accordingly, often to their regret I think. Everybody's hearing is so different, which is why a 40 dollar set of ear cans sound good to a person while the same person will laugh when he listens to a set of 800's by Senheiser giggles with derision when he hears the price...not worth it to him or her...my wife for example!  
deadhorse.gif

Leo

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #610 of 957
Yes I agree that dalethorn is very experienced and most likely knows what he is talking about, but as a headphone reviewer I don't believe he should be equalizing as much as he does. Headphone reviews are meant to help those interested in a particular set, and most people don't eq.
Anyways, he says that the nighthawks may be the best headphones he's owned, and in my opinion they are the third best I've heard behind the lcd 3 and lcd xc which isn't too bad at all considering I prefer them to the beyer t5p, shure 1540, ultrasone sig pro, fostex th600 and zmf vibro. With these phones listed it really all comes down to preference though.

He does seem to EQ a lot, but I like how different his approach to audio is compared to other reviewers. I like taking impressions from numerous reviewers and combining them. Though nothing beats listening to the headphones and I generally trust my good friend over anyone else as my preferences coincide with hers more than anyone I know. I did like the Nighthawk more the LCD-2, but I did think the LCD-3 was a bit better going from memory at least as I didn't hear them side to side. There were a few others I though were better as well but all were far more expensive than the Nighthawks. The Nighthawk is one of the best values I've ever come across in a headphone and one of the best dynamic headphones I have heard. I should have my pair in about a week, can't wait.

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #611 of 957
These continue to be one of the most intriguing things in Head Fi for me (as I heard a pre-production model earlier in the year and was pretty dismissive of them).  Will definitely seek them out at Cam Jam London.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #612 of 957

A few facts about Dale Thorn.

-He reviewed the 300$ Shure SRH940 and claimed they were comparable to the Sennheiser HD800;

-He was banned from head-Fi.

http://www.head-fi.org/u/171214/dalethorn

Ask him why he was banned from head-Fi. I did, and I still cannot believe his answer...

Audioquest spent 2 years developing the Nighthawk. They explain in great detail on their website why they did not boost the treble like other headphones. Dale uses an equalizer, undoing all of the tuning Audioquest did based on research and facts. Very weak...

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #614 of 957
For me it is not the modest treble. I love the HD650 style smooth highs. It's the big dip around 1 khz in the Nighthawk that bothers me the most. Combined with a boost between 100 hz and 200 hz (that's still too boosted through 500 hz) that made it boxy. The low distortion, nice subs, along with the smoother highs, were really let down by those aspects.

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #615 of 957

A few facts about Dale Thorn.

-Last week on Stereophile he compared himself to Jesus, Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King. HE WAS SERIOUS.

I have no idea who Dale Thorn is, but could you please post the link to that thread/article, cuz that sounds like a hilarious read! 
atsmile.gif

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back