AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jan 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #961 of 2,514
I really enjoy the DF over my Denons and was thinking of running my Dragonfly to my preamp to compare the sound over my speakers to my Havana DAC. Can anyone recommend a good quality mini to RCA cable? I was looking at the Zu Audio Mission cables on eBay....

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #962 of 2,514
I am sure there are some people who have found "magic" cables that are just amazing. My experience is anything with reasonable gauge wire seems fine.  I have been happy with the "premium" grade RSA and mini-jack cables from monoprice.  Not quite as happy with their balance cables which sounds fine but the connectors require a bit more insertion forces than better cables I own.

--mark

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #963 of 2,514
The Audioquest Evergreen Mini to RCA works great and is not expensive...

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Evergreen-1m-3-28-feet/dp/B005T44LES/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358291909&sr=8-2&keywords=audioquest+evergreen

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #964 of 2,514
Pretty much my entire headphone setup is with the AudioQuest Golden Gate and Cinnamon series (mini-rca, rca-rca, optical, usb plus I just got the DragonTail). I'm pretty sure that there would be no audible difference between the Evergreen and Goldengate. I'm just a red/black kind of guy.  (vanity) They're a great step up from MonoPrice without getting crazy.
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Evergreen-1m-3-28-feet/dp/B005T44LES/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358291909&sr=8-2&keywords=audioquest+evergreen

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #965 of 2,514
The Audioquests have worked well for me too. I have the Cinnamon on the main rig....

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #966 of 2,514
I finally got my DragonFly working again with my MacBook Air.  I was trying different players (Decibel, Audirvana, BitPerfect) and must have corrupted something. Had to reinstall Mountain Lion in place and that seems to have cleared things up. Been fiddling around for weeks to get it going again.  Anyway, still really pleased with it.  The DragonTail is a great addition. Listening right now through a pair of v-Moda M100 and I'll be re-discovering it all over again over the next few days.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #967 of 2,514
I am using it on my PC with my new Sicphones amp....Really digging the combo....

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #968 of 2,514
New one just came in (go Audio Advisor/FedEx!) two days early.  For a second all I got was sound through WASAPI and foobar.  Uninstalled the USB driver Windows installed for the original one, restarted and followed the quick manual.  Works perfect now.

What is strange is I got the case that Jude posted in the review for my first one, but this one has a leather case and there are icons in the back you find on lots of electronics (i.e. the trashcan with the x through it) when the original didn't.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #969 of 2,514
Quote:

The Evergreen works for me, less expensive & high quality.  I don't get the cable argument,  this is physics we are talking about, conductive wire can only conduct so fast, if properly shielded why pay 10x's as much?

Quote:
I finally got my DragonFly working again with my MacBook Air.  I was trying different players (Decibel, Audirvana, BitPerfect) and must have corrupted something. Had to reinstall Mountain Lion in place and that seems to have cleared things up. Been fiddling around for weeks to get it going again.  Anyway, still really pleased with it.  The DragonTail is a great addition. Listening right now through a pair of v-Moda M100 and I'll be re-discovering it all over again over the next few days.

Try the demo of Amarra for two weeks off their web site for free.  I have been using this with the DF with MBAir and it is the best software with the DF I have tried.  

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #970 of 2,514
Anyone have any problems with it handling high resolution files?  I found out why it wasn't working until I fiddled with it: the replacement Dragonfly can't seem to handle high resolution input.  When downsampled to 16 bit/ 44100 it worked just fine, but playing anything higher is a no go.  Same with Windows.  When I set it to anything higher than 24 bit/44100 it will not play anything.  The light lights up the correct color but plays nothing. It was a gift from my parents and they already have these two charged on their card, not sure if its a dud I want to have them spend more money (even when its just temporarily) to have Audio Advisor send yet another.  It seems they have a high failure rate....

So anyone have any ideas?  I tried in foobar (WASAPI on and Direct Sound), JRiver (WASAPI), and the Windows 7 64 Bit tester.  All come back without a sound when playing (or testing) anything higher than CD quality.

(Edit) This doesn't bode well...

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #972 of 2,514
Quote:
Anyone have any problems with it handling high resolution files?  I found out why it wasn't working until I fiddled with it: the replacement Dragonfly can't seem to handle high resolution input.  When downsampled to 16 bit/ 44100 it worked just fine, but playing anything higher is a no go.  Same with Windows.  When I set it to anything higher than 24 bit/44100 it will not play anything.  The light lights up the correct color but plays nothing. It was a gift from my parents and they already have these two charged on their card, not sure if its a dud I want to have them spend more money (even when its just temporarily) to have Audio Advisor send yet another.  It seems they have a high failure rate....

So anyone have any ideas?  I tried in foobar (WASAPI on and Direct Sound), JRiver (WASAPI), and the Windows 7 64 Bit tester.  All come back without a sound when playing (or testing) anything higher than CD quality.

(Edit) This doesn't bode well...

No trouble with JRiver handling the bitrate. Playing ripped vs FLAC, JRMC manages things and the DF plays them appropriately. It's fun watching the colors change on the DF.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #973 of 2,514
Dragonfly vs GoDap X

I was hoping to solicit some opinion on these 2 products. I currently own the Dragonfly and love it. It has spoiled me so much I don't get nearly the pleasure of listening to me iPhone when I am traveling. I am looking to pick up a GoDap X. In this situation I would use it both from my computer and iPhone when I am mobile. 

I am hoping there are a few on here that may have had experience with both and if so is the Go Dap X on par with the Dragonfly from a Dac/Amp combo? Any info and opinion will help. Thanks.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #974 of 2,514
Quote:
No trouble with JRiver handling the bitrate. Playing ripped vs FLAC, JRMC manages things and the DF plays them appropriately. It's fun watching the colors change on the DF.

Hmmm.  Then mine must be a dud. I left a message with AudioQuest tech support (it was a personalized message for one person which doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in support over there) and hope to hear back. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back