AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Oct 28, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #782 of 2,514
Quote:
I have a question:
it is known to be congested with complex classical passages (for example).
Now, is it the DACs fault, or the AMPs fault?
meaning.. if i connect it to an ext. amp. will the problem resolve?

thanks!
/Eyal

I will never claim to have the golden ears others do around here. After several months with the DF I have not heard what is described as a congested delivery. I was listening to a variety of Mozart concerto's and symphonies yesterday. Pretty complex, lots of nuance and plenty of action all over the orchestra. I could pick out details as I wanted. So maybe I am not understanding what the other posters meant, but it sure sounds good to me.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #786 of 2,514
Sometimes you have to remember the price/value level here. Very strong for the money and the portability.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #789 of 2,514
Quote:
its an awesome product but i'd hate to think of the wear and tear on the USB port from its physical design

This is why you leave it plugged into an extension cable.  

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #793 of 2,514
IMO, the HE-500 needs more juice than the DF can provide to be driven well. I haven't heard the HE-400, so I can't comment.

However, the DF drives the HD650s very well. Surprisingly well.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #794 of 2,514
I am using the DF with the HD650's right now....Beautiful combo!

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #795 of 2,514
I have listened to the dragonfly with a friend's he-500 for a bit.  I have also had a fair amount of time with my hd800 as well as a number of other headphones and some IEMs. The dragonfly could drive all the headphones I tried.  The IEMs sounds fine... I didn't notice the SQ improve by running the dragonfly into an amplifier, but I don't think the dragonfly didn't do a justice to either the he-500 or the hd800.  Adding a headamp gilmore lite to the chain made a significant improvement in the sound quality. Better dynamic range, tighter and more base, more open sound stage.  Pretty must across the board improvement.

--Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back