AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Oct 2, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #736 of 2,514
Quote:
Thanks!!!  I greatly appreciate the support here guys.

+1 on using this with an internet streaming service... I use MOG primarily (highly recommended for 320 kbps streaming) and they have a native client that talks directly to Core Audio on OSX, but it sounds good straight thru the website as well.

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #737 of 2,514
Quote:

and YEAH - getting to spin vinyl on Burmester gear - whoah!  NEVER thought that would happen!!

Better gold plate your fingers! Gotta show respect to the Burmeister...
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #739 of 2,514
Quote:

+1 on using this with an internet streaming service... I use MOG primarily (highly recommended for 320 kbps streaming) and they have a native client that talks directly to Core Audio on OSX, but it sounds good straight thru the website as well.

I LOVE MOG - my number 1 streaming service too (as stated in the piece).  I think their iPad app os SO slick.  Using that w/ the HRT Headstreamer (+CCK or their "host mode adapter") sounds fantastic too!  For me, for travel, now it's the Audioquest Dragonfly for my Macbook Pro, and HRT Headstreamer for my iPad! COVERED.  Then ALO's RxMK3-B for my iPod Classic...  

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #740 of 2,514
Quote:
seriously! its crazy.  I hear they have to get one of the phonostages shipped from Harry Pearson's place for the gig
(so there are two for the decks).  Boy is he gonna be pissed at me!!!!

Nice to get to play with HP's toy chest!  I have enjoyed his writings for many years.

Oct 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #741 of 2,514
Quote:
Nice to get to play with HP's toy chest!  I have enjoyed his writings for many years.

Oh my God yes!  As a matter of fact (silly titles aside - and I did work my way up to being his "Equipment Acquisitions & Set-Up Manager" eventually - but I was a teenager) - that was my job for the first 4 years of my Hifi life at TAS!! SMILE.  

It's exactly how I looked at the job!  
I was like: "What a minute, I get to goto work in a landmark colonial house, full of state-of-the-art stereo equipment, and set it up - and you'll pay me for that"??

My response: F YEAH...

Oct 5, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #742 of 2,514
Quote:
Oh my God yes!  As a matter of fact (silly titles aside - and I did work my way up to being his "Equipment Acquisitions & Set-Up Manager" eventually - but I was a teenager) - that was my job for the first 4 years of my Hifi life at TAS!! SMILE.  

It's exactly how I looked at the job!  
I was like: "What a minute, I get to goto work in a landmark colonial house, full of state-of-the-art stereo equipment, and set it up - and you'll pay me for that"??

My response: F YEAH...

My college job was selling audio for a dealer. I used my dorm as a secondary show room. Had the full line of Mordaunt Short speakers and CJ Walker tables in there to play with.. Fun times!

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #743 of 2,514
About two versions AudioQuest DrafonFly:
1 version: the volume control offers 64 steps of less than 1dB to –60dB and then mute (–100dB);
2 version: used only 60 of those steps;

"With the first sample of the DragonFly, a full-scale 24-bit signal actually clipped the bottom halves of the waveform with the computer's volume control set to its maximum, giving a THD+noise level of 3.8%. Backing off the control by one click (–0.17dB) reduced the THD to 2.14%, by a second click (–0.34dB) to 0.627%, and by a third click (–0.51dB) to 0.054%, below which the THD+N percentage plateaued. The second sample didn't clip with a 0dBFS signal at maximum volume, and the THD+N was 0.041% rather than 3.8%."
http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-usb-da-converter-measurements

interestingly still here it:
"Basically, it looked as if the running change in production was to implement this suggestion of Rankin's, as the spectrum of the second DragonFly sample's output with a full-scale 1kHz signal at maximum volume was identical to that of the first sample's output set to –0.51dB"

but, I not understand: in the first part of test to be said that at the first version is worse even with volume control down: 

("third click (–0.51dB) to 0.054%, below which the THD+N percentage plateaued")
("The second sample didn't clip with a 0dBFS signal at maximum volume, and the THD+N was 0.041%")

Who knows as to define what version is used?
I got my AudioQuest DF on October 4, but isn't sure that to me sold the last version. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #744 of 2,514
I got mine in July when they first came out. it is a terrific device and surely I have the first version. Make sure you give the DF a good 200 hours of burn in and enjoy the show. It will be one of your favorite portable devices.

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #745 of 2,514
I just received mine last week... probably version 2 ..... with no burn in, using Sennheisers ie8, IEM, sounds very, very detiled, clear, pretty impressive.... its replacing my Govibe Portuatube + for my work/laptop DAC/AMP ... more portable... not as musical as the govibe, ... but pretty amazing and great price/performance ratio .... so far excellent.. I use it with Amarra... great little combo.... highly recommend it!!

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #746 of 2,514
Hi,
 Maybe who know for best quality upgrade AudioQuest DragonFly how this compatibly with this:

So, first:
 USB Isolator: Analog Devices ADuM4160 it is possible to use?
like this:
http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=63

Second:
 If usb isolator works with AQ DF I can use power supply unit (ADuM4160 board has 5VDC USB output to drive the DragonFly).
like this:
http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=64

If usb isolator not compatibly with DF, I can use DC power supply with special USB-cable (inside USB cable computer power +5VDC -> was disconnected).
 In power supply unit, in this case, DC output adjust =5VDC? How many VDC it is necessary for the best work DF?

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #747 of 2,514
I don't think you would need those to improve on the DF sound. Kinda takes away the point of a transportable device.

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #748 of 2,514
I'am using DF for second system and i want, if it's possible, to have maximum sound quality.
At the moment the system sounds very well !!!
But if it is possible to improve still, only an external Power Supply Unit and usb-isolator board. This way actually is suitable only for desktop uses. 
My Setup:
Speaker: Mordaunt-Short 10i Pearl Edition + modding terminal with Speaker Stand + marble slabs under spikes;
Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Rocket 44 with AQ Banana Siver/Spade Silver in HF & AudioQuest Rocket 44 with AQ Banana Siver/Banana Silver in LF;
Inter Connetor: AudioQuest FLX-Mini 3.5mm to Female 2xRCA & AudioQuest Panther with upgrade DBS 72V;
Power Cable: T+A Power Four with Wattgate Audio Grade 350i Gold;
AMP: valve amplifier Single Ended e88cc Tesla Gold Pin, 6P43-EPx2, 5C4S inside CARDAS & AudioQuest wire, AudioQuest Silver Solder, Neutrik terminal;
Source: PC notebook+ foobar 2000 ver0.9.4.4 (Real Time Priority) or Pure Player + fidelizer 2.1 (audiophille mode) for Hi-Res & SACD-image using foobar 2000 last version;
HDD: Trancend 2Tb + Samsung 1.5Tb;
USB-DAC: AudioQuest DragonFly

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #749 of 2,514
Simple...do not over think this....

Computer>DF via USB out>Headphones.......

MAC/PC does not matter....JRiver/Amarra recommended as software for either OS....

The whole point is quality without all the cables and stuff.....

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #750 of 2,514
Interesting feature in work AQ DF (OS: Windows XP SP3):

If skip “next track”, music plays with little pause (about 0.5-1 sec) and cut music.
This delay and loss of a fragment of music occurs practically always to files 44.1kHz with others (48kHz, 88.2kHz,96kHz happens, not as with 44.1kHz.
I think that the device is on work with WASAPI first of all, but at me XP probably it occurs because of it.

Players: Foobar 2000 v0.9.4.4, Foobar 2000 v1.1.14a
Output in player (only this option is available): DS (Direct Sound) AudioQuest DragonFly
Tried on players:
XMPlay, Kat Player….. but same result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back