AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Sep 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #526 of 2,514
Yeah it's just my HD-650's needing so much power. I just tried out my Grado SR-80's with the DragonFly, and 50% is enough to be extremely loud. 

I just ordered some HE-400's, and those are supposedly easier to drive than the 650's. So the combo should be just right for me. 

Although I will say, even maxed out for my 650's, it sounds more than fine. :) This device is amazing! 

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #527 of 2,514
You are maxing the DF with 650's?  
eek.gif

I would have no ears left....

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #530 of 2,514
I do that sometimes when I have work to do and background sound is better than direct.  
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #531 of 2,514
I'm at 16% with my Senn IE7s.

After maxing out the itunes slider, just use your system volume to adjust the sound. It's F8 and F9 on my Dell keyboard.

Only time you max out both itunes and system volume is when you are using the DF as a DAC feeding another amp. In that case, use the external amp to control the volume.

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #532 of 2,514
Quote:
I'm at 16% with my Senn IE7s.

After maxing out the itunes slider, just use your system volume to adjust the sound. It's F8 and F9 on my Dell keyboard.

Only time you max out both itunes and system volume is when you are using the DF as a DAC feeding another amp. In that case, use the external amp to control the volume.

Thanks.

I'm thinking my hearing is just not as good as others. Because I'm having to max out both for the 650. And according to others, that would be insanely loud. I'm currently running the DragonFly directly, and not feeding into another amp. However, I'll actually be doing this with my setup next week. So thanks for that tip. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #533 of 2,514
sorry to be a noob but, would someone say this is the best usb-dac and is very portable which sounds great?
any other usb-dac which is portable/better than laptop input sound and cheaper than the price of the dragonfly.(broke atm)
otherwise i am willing to buy this next year T_T..(currently overseas)

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #534 of 2,514
Quote:
sorry to be a noob but, would someone say this is the best usb-dac and is very portable which sounds great?
any other usb-dac which is portable/better than laptop input sound and cheaper than the price of the dragonfly.(broke atm)
otherwise i am willing to buy this next year T_T..(currently overseas)

The DF seems to be the best for small size and great sound quality so far.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #536 of 2,514
Sep 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #538 of 2,514
Quote:
oh..i didnt read df as an abbreviation LOLOLO. 
i guess it's time to save up more money :p..

Head-fi never met an acronym it did not like!  
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #539 of 2,514
If you are looking for just a USB DAC, I've been trying out the Halide HD compared to the Dragonfly as a DAC only unit.

I repurchased the DragonFly because I hadn't tried it in DAC only mode the first time around and because I might have had a faulty first unit.  Unfortunately, my results weren't any different.  It's an outstanding device, but there are better DACs out there and the amp section is nothing special.

I tried the DragonFly with the SR71A against the Halide HD with the SR71 using JH16 Pros.  The Halide HD was more detailed, cleaner, and had greater instrument separation.

The DragonFly is a great DAC Amp combo for $250 ($200 looks like its used value).  However,  I think buying a used predator or using a Halide HD with a separate amp would be a good step up in sound.

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #540 of 2,514
Quote:
If you are looking for just a USB DAC, I've been trying out the Halide HD compared to the Dragonfly as a DAC only unit.

I repurchased the DragonFly because I hadn't tried it in DAC only mode the first time around and because I might have had a faulty first unit.  Unfortunately, my results weren't any different.  It's an outstanding device, but there are better DACs out there and the amp section is nothing special.

I tried the DragonFly with the SR71A against the Halide HD with the SR71 using JH16 Pros.  The Halide HD was more detailed, cleaner, and had greater instrument separation.

The DragonFly is a great DAC Amp combo for $250 ($200 looks like its used value).  However,  I think buying a used predator or using a Halide HD with a separate amp would be a good step up in sound.

It all comes down to "How" portable you want to be. The DF with any dedicated portable amp is going to have better punch, but then you have to carry another device with you. It is all about what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back