AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Aug 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #481 of 2,514
I've had mine for a few days now and mainly use it with the O2.  I've tried the HE-400 and HE-500 with it and do not care for the signature.  I tried the HE-500 connected to the DF alone and was surprised that it drove it decent and actually sounded better than with O2 for my tastes.  But the DF seems like a winner overall.  My music collection sounds clearer and I hear the details much more than before when using the Fiio E10 and E9.  The DF + O2 sounds absolutely stunning using the FA-011.  

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #482 of 2,514
Quote:
Glad to have joined the Dragonfly club here. Just got mine in the mail today. I must say that I do love the sound from first impression. Been driving my new GR-07's from my MPB. Really sounds excellent.

Odd question though. The only thing in the DF box was a quick start guide and the warranty card, aside from the unit itself and it's bag. Is there no substantial manual? The quick start guide is only like 4 pages long. Am I missing the actual manual? I checked the box a few times. Nothing else in there.

If it makes a difference, I ordered from HiDef Lifestyle on Amazon.

Thanks. Can't wait to try this with my HE400s and SR325s.

There is a little more on the web site. It is a fairly straight forward unit.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #484 of 2,514
Has anyone tried feeding the DF to a Lyr? I've been wanting to get a Lyr for a long time, but I didn't have a dac that would do it any justice. Before the dragonfly I had been using an E7/E9 as my home setup. The dac on the E7 was nothing special.

I was hoping that the Lyr would sound nice with the DF dac since it would be hard for me to spend the 350 on a Bifrost after having spent 450 on a Lyr.

I might try asking in the Lyr thread if there is a universal "Lyr appreciation thread".

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #485 of 2,514
Saw your post and thought I'd give it a try.. Yes, the Dragonfly will work nicely as a DAC for the Lyr (using stock GE tubes). It actually sounds OK. Smooth and a little on the dark side - the treble seems a little rolled off  and soundstage is constricted - never noticed this using the DF straight into my HD700 (this is all relative to using an Audioengine D1 as my current DAC). Using a NuForce 1/8 to RCA cable to connect them. Remember to max out the volume on the DF from your system to use it in pre-amp mode.

Funny, the D1 is better as a DAC feeding the Lyr but the DF is better as a standalone dac/amp feeding my headphones directly. Go figure.

My Bifrost should be here in a few days so I can let you know the difference in a week or so once I've given it some time to break in but my suspicion is that the Bifrost will definitely bring out the potential of the Lyr and just smoke the DF.

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #486 of 2,514
Saw your post and thought I'd give it a try.. Yes, the Dragonfly will work nicely as a DAC for the Lyr (using stock GE tubes). It actually sounds OK. Smooth and a little on the dark side - the treble seems a little rolled off  and soundstage is constricted - never noticed this using the DF straight into my HD700 (this is all relative to using an Audioengine D1 as my current DAC). Using a NuForce 1/8 to RCA cable to connect them. Remember to max out the volume on the DF from your system to use it in pre-amp mode.

Funny, the D1 is better as a DAC feeding the Lyr but the DF is better as a standalone dac/amp feeding my headphones directly. Go figure.

My Bifrost should be here in a few days so I can let you know the difference in a week or so once I've given it some time to break in but my suspicion is that the Bifrost will definitely bring out the potential of the Lyr and just smoke the DF.

That wouldbe excellent that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I also think its pretty odd that the d1 sounded better. I'm wondering if I should just wait to get the lyr until I can get a desktop dac. However, if the DF does work almost as well as the bifrost, or other desktop dac's, then I might just use it as my all the time dac

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #489 of 2,514
Quote:
I just ordered the Dragonfly because I got a KILLER deal, but I don't even have any headphones at the moment. Any recommendations for some cans that have great synergy with the DF?

For my use this is pretty much for really portable stuff, and to that end its performance with the GR07 and JVC S500 (incredible cans for the price) really sell it for me.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #490 of 2,514
For my use this is pretty much for really portable stuff, and to that end its performance with the GR07 and JVC S500 (incredible cans for the price) really sell it for me.

I can second the use of this with the GR07. Great pairing. Immensely better sound than headphone out of my MBP. Far better sound than I was expecting. I wasn't super enthused with my new GR07s until my DF came in.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #491 of 2,514
Get the Lyr. It won't disappoint - if you have the DF, just hook it up and enjoy and add the Bifrost when you can.
My Bifrost just landed and it's been on only for a couple of hours - yes, it will smoke (or at least is better than) the DF but the DF and Lyr are quite enjoyable. Nothing wrong with doing it in steps and enjoying the journey.  That's what it's all about!!  Depending on what mood I'm in, I could live with the DF only (on second thought, nah, but it is that good)
What headphones are you using?
Quote:
That wouldbe excellent that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I also think its pretty odd that the d1 sounded better. I'm wondering if I should just wait to get the lyr until I can get a desktop dac. However, if the DF does work almost as well as the bifrost, or other desktop dac's, then I might just use it as my all the time dac
Decisions, decisions.
Thanks for the feedback though.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #492 of 2,514
Quote:
I just ordered the Dragonfly because I got a KILLER deal, but I don't even have any headphones at the moment. Any recommendations for some cans that have great synergy with the DF?

Both my Sennheiser HD650's and HD25-1 ii's are terrific with it.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #493 of 2,514
Quote:

I'm thinking you should try the HD650's with the DF.

Then you might wanna try the HD650's.

Has anyone mentioned how great the DF sounds with the HD650's?
wink_face.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #494 of 2,514
Quote:
I'm thinking you should try the HD650's with the DF.

Then you might wanna try the HD650's.

Has anyone mentioned how great the DF sounds with the HD650's?
wink_face.gif

I have heard this....Somewhere....
tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #495 of 2,514
I'm finding the HD650 touting interesting.  Unfortunately, I have no way to accommodate open-backs at the moment so a purchase is impracticable, but...

...this site.  It's perilous, I tells ya'.  I've always preferred the HD600 over the 650, but could that thick bass->lower-mid region be reigned in by the DF...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back