AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Feb 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #1,711 of 2,514
I learned that iTunes does not switch sample rate output automatically, so to get the best performance out of Dragonfly, one has to switch the output sample rate manually in the Audio MIDI Setup utility. I can't justify spending $129 for the highly-rated Pure Music player to replace iTunes, just to get automatic switching capability. Has anyone had experience just leaving the setting at 96000 regardless of the the actual sample rate of the files? I can't hear much difference, but don't necessarily know what specific things to check.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #1,712 of 2,514
Im not 100% sure if this is accurate but what I have noticed since getting my dragonfly is that, when I play music on Foobar i set it to output wasapi event on my DF. And when i play music its usually on green showing that its playing 44.1Khz but once I play a song thats at 96khz there is a slight pause in the music and the light on the dragonfly automatically changes to Amber signifying its on 96khz. I would give this a shot if you arent too attached to Itunes.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #1,713 of 2,514
  Im not 100% sure if this is accurate but what I have noticed since getting my dragonfly is that, when I play music on Foobar i set it to output wasapi event on my DF. And when i play music its usually on green showing that its playing 44.1Khz but once I play a song thats at 96khz there is a slight pause in the music and the light on the dragonfly automatically changes to Amber signifying its on 96khz. I would give this a shot if you arent too attached to Itunes.

Thanks for the idea. I'm using a Mac, so Foobar is not an option.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #1,714 of 2,514
If you want to auto switch bitrates on a Mac & iTunes, check out Audirvana+  Of all the extensions, it's the most reasonable I found for SQ and features. Otherwise, you're OK just leaving it at 96K but note that the Mac is upsampling. leave it at the rate that you have most of bor best results. ie.  44.1K, 24bit
Quote:

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #1,717 of 2,514
Thanks. I'll give Audirvana+ a listen.

Maybe Bitperfect might work for you. Think it's a Mac program that changes the bitrate for you on iTunes.

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #1,719 of 2,514
No problem

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #1,721 of 2,514
i've used it as a dac for my K701, and i thought they sounded very good together. This was with using a vintage amp to power the K701, not the Dragonfly.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #1,722 of 2,514
  Has anybody tried the Dragonfly with AKG Q701? Please share your experiences because I am looking for a cheap but effective dac or dac/amp for the Q701's. Thanks!

I mention my own experience a few posts back:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp/1680#post_10246405

I thought it sounded good overall, but if the Q701 were my primary headphone (I sold them a few months ago...) I would look for other options to compare with.  Not sure there is much better at this price point, but if it were me I would do some more shopping around...  As I mentioned in my post above, I think it is perfectly fine as a temporary solution, and maybe beyond temporary if you don't find the Q701 to be a tad bright sounding as I do.  For me, the Dragonfly was a most welcome upgrade from my laptop or phone headphone output.  Everything sounded better, with better bass and a better soundstage.  I think the amp section is what matters most with Q701, especially when you get to the level of DAC performance around the Dragonfly and above.

If it were me, I would not hesitate to start with the Dragonfly 1.2 and then maybe later upgrade to a Matrix M-Stage or something similar... but the problem is that the new Matrix M-Stage HPA-2 with USB DAC is getting really good feedback, and since you only pay another 30 or 40 dollars for the USB DAC version, the most efficient thing to do would be to suffer along with Q701 direct to consumer device and then just get the HPA-2 USB DAC when you can.  Then if you really get into it, you can get a much more serious DAC like a Bifrost Uber or better and the HPA-2 amp section will still do it justice.  No need to have the Dragonfly in the middle of all of that.  This coming from someone who is a very very big fan of the Dragonfly, both versions...

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #1,723 of 2,514
  I mention my own experience a few posts back:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp/1680#post_10246405

I thought it sounded good overall, but if the Q701 were my primary headphone (I sold them a few months ago...) I would look for other options to compare with.  Not sure there is much better at this price point, but if it were me I would do some more shopping around...  As I mentioned in my post above, I think it is perfectly fine as a temporary solution, and maybe beyond temporary if you don't find the Q701 to be a tad bright sounding as I do.  For me, the Dragonfly was a most welcome upgrade from my laptop or phone headphone output.  Everything sounded better, with better bass and a better soundstage.  I think the amp section is what matters most with Q701, especially when you get to the level of DAC performance around the Dragonfly and above.

If it were me, I would not hesitate to start with the Dragonfly 1.2 and then maybe later upgrade to a Matrix M-Stage or something similar... but the problem is that the new Matrix M-Stage HPA-2 with USB DAC is getting really good feedback, and since you only pay another 30 or 40 dollars for the USB DAC version, the most efficient thing to do would be to suffer along with Q701 direct to consumer device and then just get the HPA-2 USB DAC when you can.  Then if you really get into it, you can get a much more serious DAC like a Bifrost Uber or better and the HPA-2 amp section will still do it justice.  No need to have the Dragonfly in the middle of all of that.  This coming from someone who is a very very big fan of the Dragonfly, both versions...

Thanks for the reply. I will look into the amp/dac you suggested!

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #1,724 of 2,514
  Thanks for the reply. I will look into the amp/dac you suggested!

If you are looking for something cheaper, try using the dragonfly to feed a vali.  That combination is great with the Q701 without breaking the bank.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #1,725 of 2,514
+1 on DF & Vali.. using the combo to run a pair of Grado RS1i's.. very nice.. pic here.. post #17100
Quote:
  If you are looking for something cheaper, try using the dragonfly to feed a vali.  That combination is great with the Q701 without breaking the bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back