AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Feb 3, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #1,666 of 2,514
Forgive my ignorance guys, I've never owned any kind of DAC before, am I right in assuming that this device can only be used with laptops / pc's ?

I bought a Sony Hi Res Walkman F886 a few months back & was looking for a small portable DAC that I could pair with it ?

Any suggestions, much appreciated.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #1,667 of 2,514
Forgive my ignorance guys, I've never owned any kind of DAC before, am I right in assuming that this device can only be used with laptops / pc's ?

I bought a Sony Hi Res Walkman F886 a few months back & was looking for a small portable DAC that I could pair with it ?

Best to think of the df as a sound card so it won't suit your needs. There are dacs that work with daps or walkman's (walkmEn?) but i'm not familiar with sony's.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #1,670 of 2,514

Best to think of the df as a sound card so it won't suit your needs. There are dacs that work with daps or walkman's (walkmEn?) but i'm not familiar with sony's.

Dont know about walkman, but a lot of android devices and the new iphone 5 can now use the dragonfly as a dac and amp if you get a female usb cable

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #1,673 of 2,514
  I currently own the Dragonfly. I was wondering which dedicated desktop DAC would be a step up from the Dragonfly in terms of sound quality? Budget is below $300. Is the ODAC better?

Not sure about which would sound better to you, but be aware that at this level of quality differences are going to be minor; if they exist. Also, you'll be losing the portability of the DragonFly. If you have 300 to spend, consider getting a pair of sealed cans for pairing with the dragonfly instead. That way you can have a rig to take to a coffee shop or wherever else your laptop goes but still have a quality DAC for use at home. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #1,674 of 2,514

Dont know about walkman, but a lot of android devices and the new iphone 5 can now use the dragonfly as a dac and amp if you get a female usb cable

The dragon fly requires 5 volts of power to work properly. 5 volts being the power output of a USB port. The dragon fly will work with an ipad provided that you hook it up through a powered USB hub. So here's a question to all those diy types out there: what about making some sort of combination 5 volt power supply and USB cable which could then be used with the DF and iPhones, iPads and other devices which do not have powered USB ports. As a bonus make the power supply rechargeable via a powered USB port. Any takers?

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,675 of 2,514

Not sure about which would sound better to you, but be aware that at this level of quality differences are going to be minor; if they exist. Also, you'll be losing the portability of the DragonFly. If you have 300 to spend, consider getting a pair of sealed cans for pairing with the dragonfly instead. That way you can have a rig to take to a coffee shop or wherever else your laptop goes but still have a quality DAC for use at home. 

Sound advise (pun intended)

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,676 of 2,514
new to the thread, but i back read a bit and the general consensus seems to be that the 1.0 is better than 1.2. but can someone list what changes/features were actually added to the 1.2?

also, i will be using this for movies/games on my sager laptop aside from music. will i see benefits to games and movies with this dac? can it handle dolby pro audio for example?

i will be using this with my vsonic gr07 be and jvc mini comp for the most part.

tia. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,677 of 2,514
There might be consensus that the 1.0 is a better deal than the 1.2, but I don't think there really is a consensus on the quality of either one.  Some prefer 1.0, some prefer 1.2

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,678 of 2,514
The dragon fly requires 5 volts of power to work properly. 5 volts being the power output of a USB port. The dragon fly will work with an ipad provided that you hook it up through a powered USB hub. So here's a question to all those diy types out there: what about making some sort of combination 5 volt power supply and USB cable which could then be used with the DF and iPhones, iPads and other devices which do not have powered USB ports. As a bonus make the power supply rechargeable via a powered USB port. Any takers?

Yes, I agree with this. Using a device from a phone that requires a USB connection to the computer for its power? And this being used to power headphones? Does not make any sense to me. IMO this would not be practical.

Bob Graham

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #1,680 of 2,514
I'm having serious issues with my v1.2.

First of all, volume control doesn't seem to be working. I can only change the volume up or down by half a bar. It won't go any higher or lower when using my netbook hotkeys. Secondly, when I use the volume control found in the taskbar and increase the volume it causes music to be quite "laggy" (delay when starting) as well volume constantly going up and down causing somewhat of a buzzing effect.

My netbook specs:
Model: Samsung N150 Plus
Ram: 2gb DDR3
CPU: Intel Atom n550

Users who are viewing this thread

Back