AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jan 14, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #1,637 of 2,514
Hi,

I consider purchasing the AudioQuest Dragonfly v1.2 as a DAC/Amp for a notebook. It will be used in connection with the Beyerdynamic DT1350. Right now I am mainly listening to music via my Desktop PC which has the Asus Xonar STX as soundcard. I am quite satisfied with the overall experience and therefore would like to know if there are better alternatives for my specific setup in the sub 200-Euro price range and wether I should spend more on a portable DAC/Amp combo to get a comparable sound quality.

Thank you!

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #1,638 of 2,514
I just picked up a dragonfly 1.2 + jriver to replace my squeezebox. Generally speaking, I am impressed.It doesn't have the warmth of my Peachtree decco, but the decco always felt like artificial warmth to me. This is a good thing for longer listening sessions, but it is most certainly something added to the music. Using my tracks, the dragonfly sounds much closer to the music I originally mixed and mastered.   It is a good match.  It compares well with the Bifrost, but mine doesn't have USB and I needed an interface that wouldn't interfere with my audio interface for creating music.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #1,639 of 2,514
I just got my v1.0 Dragonfly and it is impressive for the $99 price.  I was hoping to replace my DACport (1 Ohm mod) as it is a little cumbersome with my laptop and not quite as portable. With my UM Miracles it is very close with a slightly colder/more analytical tone in the vocal range and a little more mid bass than the DacPort.  Not as black of a background as I can hear some hiss with the volume over 60% although that is well above normal listening levels of 20-30%.  I can max the volume on the DACport with no hiss.

With the T50RP (heavily modded) it is no contest.  I had to max out Windows volume to get good output and even then felt as if I could use more juice. Bass slam was lacking and vocals seemed even colder than on the Miracles.  I believe the DACport puts out more voltage at 3.0 Vrms where Dragonfly is 2.0 Vrms.  This is from Sterophile's review, CEntrance page shows lower.  I was hoping the Dragonfly would have faired a little better with the Fostex.  

Looks like I'll keep both and make the Dragonfly my travelling/work DAC paired with my Etymotics HF3s.  Beats my work computer headphone out by a mile. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #1,640 of 2,514
I just got a dragonfly from amazon for $99 too, I feel it is very good to drive my new HD598.  Sound is awesome right out of box.
source is mac mini with Audirvana plus.
for $99, it is really a steal..
love the combo!

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #1,641 of 2,514
You listen at much higher volumes than I.  On the Dacport, at most I have the knob at 50%. Usually at 33%.  So the Dragonfly works fine with my HD650 and modded T50RP.

However, I also agree that the Dacport is better than all the DF I've tried regardless of version. In part, it also has a substantially wider soundstage.  I was hoping DF will replace the Dacport but not quite....but it is nice.   That said, the DF does sound better with some desktop speakers I have because of its more centered soundstage and functioning as a DAC. 

UL

Quote:
  I just got my v1.0 Dragonfly and it is impressive for the $99 price.  I was hoping to replace my DACport (1 Ohm mod) as it is a little cumbersome with my laptop and not quite as portable. With my UM Miracles it is very close with a slightly colder/more analytical tone in the vocal range and a little more mid bass than the DacPort.  Not as black of a background as I can hear some hiss with the volume over 60% although that is well above normal listening levels of 20-30%.  I can max the volume on the DACport with no hiss.

With the T50RP (heavily modded) it is no contest.  I had to max out Windows volume to get good output and even then felt as if I could use more juice. Bass slam was lacking and vocals seemed even colder than on the Miracles.  I believe the DACport puts out more voltage at 3.0 Vrms where Dragonfly is 2.0 Vrms.  This is from Sterophile's review, CEntrance page shows lower.  I was hoping the Dragonfly would have faired a little better with the Fostex.  

Looks like I'll keep both and make the Dragonfly my travelling/work DAC paired with my Etymotics HF3s.  Beats my work computer headphone out by a mile. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,642 of 2,514
Just got the v1.2 in the mail this afternoon and have been trying it out with a variety of headphones, including the LCD-2 and HE-500.  I am amazed at the quality of sound, despite the fact that these headphones need at least a 1 watt of power to shine, according to Audeze and Fang, and the many forum posts.  While I will be doing comparisons of the DF with the Magni/Modi and Vali/Modi, as well as combining the DF with the Magni/Vali, I am pretty sure that I could live with just the DF if I had to.  

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,643 of 2,514
  Have not had time to post my findings but I had access to three v1.0 and one v1.2 .All four were different and we (two people indepnedently) could identify all four in a blind test. 

Turns out we ranked them like this from high to low.  Two people, in a pure blind test, no communication between the two person, came to the exact same ranking and description of the sound. I used three headphones (Sennheiser HD650, Fostex ZMF T50rp, and Klipsch x10) while the other person used just his own Klipsch x10.  I found the disctinction to be reproducible regardless of which headphone I used.  #1 and # were very different, but both are close in terms of preference. #1 had more grip, control, detail, bass. But #2 had the widest soundstage of all four by a clear margin.  Odd....

1. v1.0
2. v1.0
3. v1.2
4. v1.0.

All were currently units. My guess is that you also got your v1.0 recently?  My guess that they quietly made running improvements without telling the public so that old v1.0 is not as good but the newer ones are like v1.2. 

What really surprised us was the variability, one unit to the next. 

ULUL

I am very intrigued about your results and the fact two v1.0s got the highest ranking. You mentioned all the units are current. Can you be a little more specific? I have a v1.0 I  bought in April 2013...

Thanks!

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #1,644 of 2,514
All v1.0 was provided in December 2013.  Two were sent to me in error and the sender was kind enough to allow me to test.  One I purchased. 

UL

Quote:
  I am very intrigued about your results and the fact two v1.0s got the highest ranking. You mentioned all the units are current. Can you be a little more specific? I have a v1.0 I  bought in April 2013...

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #1,649 of 2,514
  I currently own the Dragonfly. I was wondering which dedicated desktop DAC would be a step up from the Dragonfly in terms of sound quality? Budget is below $300. Is the ODAC better?

I was thinking of an ALO Island for a budget desktop setup. The Asus STN is too expensive. 

I find the DF DAC portion is great but amping is just so much better.

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,650 of 2,514
I just received my v1.0 Dragonfly from Amazon and I am very impressed with it so far on my MacBook Air. I have tested it with both my Grado sr225i and also my DT880s. I always held off on buying the DF because I could never quite get myself to pull the trigger at $250, but at $99, it is a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back