AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #1,486 of 2,514
  How can you check if the Dragonfly USB stick is version 1.2 instead  of 1.0 and not by looking at the sticker on the box.

I think you can't without using eather a OS X or a linux live-cd of your choice and typing "lsusb -v" into the Terminal, to see if there is something like that in the Device-Descriptor -> " bcdDevice            1.20"

I tried it on Windows but it seems like there isnt a possibilty to check it over the Device-Manager.

So you rather have a OS-X Machine or download a Linux-Live CD (Ubuntu,Fedora whatever) of your choise and boot it up, plug the Dragonfly in, and do as i told you above :)

BTW:
Is it normal that under Win7, you have to choose the according sample-rate without the option do dynamically chance it, depending on the audio-file?
On Linux it uses automatically the Samplerate the according Audiofile has(dynamically), but on Win7 it seems like it is fixed depending on the Settings i choose for the Dragonfly under "Sounds".

I'am using Foobar2000 btw.

Kind Regards.

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #1,487 of 2,514
I too would love to know if there's a way in Windows 8 that can double check what version I am testing for a review.  Thanks. 
Also, curious if anyone got a version 1.2 from Audio Advisor for the $99 unit.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,488 of 2,514
  Ordered the $99 dragonfly off amazon (great deal, given I'd already been mulling it over at $250); just received it and it's v1.2.  So even better deal!

Question - any downside to using it in a powered usb hub, rather than plugged directly into my macbook?

Also interested in what seller you purchased from! That's a great deal.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #1,489 of 2,514

Do you mean as the above being the version 1.2?   Can anyone else confirm? 

Thanks!

EDIT: BTW as far as i know the old version before 1.2 didnt have the FCC-Codes /CE printed on the back of the stick, so thats another method to find out if you got the latest version

Cheers.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #1,492 of 2,514

I think you can't without using eather a OS X or a linux live-cd of your choice and typing "lsusb -v" into the Terminal, to see if there is something like that in the Device-Descriptor -> " bcdDevice            1.20"

I tried it on Windows but it seems like there isnt a possibilty to check it over the Device-Manager.

So you rather have a OS-X Machine or download a Linux-Live CD (Ubuntu,Fedora whatever) of your choise and boot it up, plug the Dragonfly in, and do as i told you above :)

BTW:
Is it normal that under Win7, you have to choose the according sample-rate without the option do dynamically chance it, depending on the audio-file?
On Linux it uses automatically the Samplerate the according Audiofile has(dynamically), but on Win7 it seems like it is fixed depending on the Settings i choose for the Dragonfly under "Sounds".

I'am using Foobar2000 btw.

Kind Regards.

With foobar you can make it automatic, by by passing the windows own audio drivers. Install this component: 
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi
in foobar go file -> preferences -> output
from the device dropdown select WASAPI Event (Dragonfly...)

Now you can't hear any windows sounds trough dragonfly when playing music from foobar, since it has the control over the device. The volume of the dragonfly is still controlled by windows, so you should still change DF as default audiodevice in windows settings, othervice you can't control the volume.(well you can use the foobar vol control, afaik it's digital tough) Or you can have foobar playing to DF and have windows have another audio device set and it will play it's sounds from there.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,497 of 2,514
  1.0 is on the left, 1.2 on the right, in both photos.  

I've owned both.  Neither are v1.2 according to the time frames of purchase.

Quote:

Mine came from amazon's US99 offer and it has the icons.

I'm using win7, how do I check if it's v1.2 ?

Cheers

I was unable to check the firmware on my Win7 with either one I had.  However, if you paid $99, you should assume 99% probability that you have a none v1.2.  I read somewhere that it is stamped v.1.2 somewhere on the box, is this true?

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #1,498 of 2,514
Honestly... i paid 100 bucks. got a great sounding little guy. could careless which it is. If 1.0 well i got what i paid for, if 150... great. Still sounds good.

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,499 of 2,514
@headified

Thanks!

It works and it looks that I have the 1.20 version.
normal_smile .gif

BTW: In the Netherlands I had to pay € 119,- .
frown.gif

Wilco

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,500 of 2,514
@Whippler
First thank you for pointing out the fix for Foobar2000, was kinda terrible to switch it according to the samplerate :)

And as mentioned before, it seems like the only way to be on the safe side is to check it with ether OSX or a linux-live CD of your choice using "lsusb -v" on the terminal.
Other than that it seems like Windows hasn't enabled such a feature in Windows 7 (not sure about Windows 8 though...)

Other than that there is like a sticker on the front of the box saying its version 1.2, although a tricky Ebayer could sell you a version 1.0(x) Stick with a 1.2 Box, although with a legit dealer this isnt most-likely to happen.

OSX and Linux have this in common as both were, at some point derived from UNIX.

BTW. the print of the back of the USB-Stick means nothing, as it seems like some version 1.0c-Devices have it already on it :)

@Speakerphile

As you have both of the sticks, did you notice any difference at all between them, that are above the level you would probably call it a placebo-effect?
I mean real big differences?

Kind regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back