AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #1,441 of 2,514
Sent via email by Audio Advisor...seems the makers of Dragonfly got nervous!

~~ Dear Newsletter Subscriber, This past weekend we sent out a newsletter that contained some misleading information about the AudioQuest DragonFly v1.0 USB DAC/Headphone Amp. I am writing you to correct this information. Our newsletter implied the AQ DragonFly v1.0 we are currently selling for $99.00 is the same as the newly introduced AQ DragonFly v1.2. They are not the same. The new DragonFly v1.2 has an updated circuit with fewer parts and a shorter signal path. The v1.2 offers lower noise and better sound than the earlier v1.0 version. How do you know which DragonFly version you have? The physical differences are hard to detect. The best way to tell is to plug the DragonFly into your computer. In your computer’s “System Information” under “USB” the current DragonFly on clearance will tell you it is a “v1.0”. The newest model will show up as “v1.2". I apologize for any confusion our newsletter may have caused you. I also want to personally apologize to Bill Low and Joe Harley at AudioQuest for any inconvenience we may have caused them or their team. AudioQuest has approved this message and there is no need for customers to call AudioQuest directly. Any customer who believes they may have been misled by our newsletter should contact us immediately. We will pay for the return of any DragonFly v1.0s purchased in the last thirty days. For customers who want the new, improved DragonFly v1.2, we will happily exchange your v1.0 for a newer v1.2 with free overnight shipping for the price difference of $50. Please contact Beth Thomas at 866-984-0675 or bthomas@audioadvisor.com to arrange your *exchange. Sincerely, Wayne A Schuurman, President

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #1,443 of 2,514
can someone please help i need to know asap. is there a big difference in the 99.99 dragonfly to the new 1.2 dragonfly. i work at bestbuy and can get a discounted dragonfly thats 99.99 which is the old one i believe. should i pull the trigger on that one or get the new 1.2? is it better, whats the difference please help ASAP ty

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,444 of 2,514
I haven't heard them both but as Amham quoted above "The v1.2 offers lower noise and better sound than the earlier v1.0 version". This most likely means there is a lower noise floor or quieter background, and is most likely a marginal improvement. The original as $100 is quite an incredible value right now and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #1,446 of 2,514
  I haven't heard them both but as Amham quoted above "The v1.2 offers lower noise and better sound than the earlier v1.0 version". This most likely means there is a lower noise floor or quieter background, and is most likely a marginal improvement. The original as $100 is quite an incredible value right now and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Lower noise would not be important to me as AQ DF 1.0c (version as reported by Mac OS X) has no noise I can hear with either (more) revealing Shure SE535 (36 Ohms), nor with (less) revealing Beyerdynamics MMX 101 iE (12 Ohms). For comparison, if I plug SE535 in Beyerdynamic A1 amp, I can hear noise (that amp was made for high impedance headphones though, no complains there).

Cannot speak for sound quality of 1.2 but 1.0c sounds pretty great (and I have other good gear to compare to).

Don't bother with any of the dragonflys ..save up and get something better!

For such a low price? Well, I would definitely bother buying DF *and* something else (in my case I already have something else twice or maybe more :))

Sound quality wise, I actually prefer AQ DF 1.0c with SE535 to the sound of ($299) Meridian Explorer (that I highly like and even used as a main DAC with Kimber Silver Streak and A1) although it is a preference only - both sound great (Explorer is thinner and a bit more analytical; DF is a bit warmer and more substantial).

Cannot tell much though yet as I only have maybe 100 hours with DF and less than 75 with SE535 so no decent burn-in/break-in has happened yet.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,447 of 2,514
  That's some nice customer service from audio advisor :) i got mine from them

Audio Advisor is a pretty good company. They did an exchange of a headphones I had gotten for Christmas  for another pair and also have quickly and clearly answered all the questions I've ever asked them. Good company to deal with. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #1,448 of 2,514
Don't bother with any of the dragonflys ..save up and get something better!

Completely disagree. I would not overlook the dragonfly. I preferred them over my sony pha1 (priced at 350) and is one of the reasons why i decided to sell the pha1 (other being Battery life as i travel long distances)

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,450 of 2,514
You better have good and revealing gear and source along with a good set of ears to determine if the v1.2 is better over the predecessors. Lets not kid ourselves. Audioquest is creating a double whammy for themselves with the holidays by selling the Dragonfly that I originally paid $250 for $99 and a newer version for $50 more.  Bottom line is - you can't go wrong with either one.  Why are folks making the decision so hard?

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #1,451 of 2,514
  You better have good and revealing gear and source along with a good set of ears to determine if the v1.2 is better over the predecessors. Lets not kid ourselves. Audioquest is creating a double whammy for themselves with the holidays by selling the Dragonfly that I originally paid $250 for $99 and a newer version for $50 more.  Bottom line is - you can't go wrong with either one.  Why are folks making the decision so hard?

cause people said newer one is better. im jus wondering if its worth it or no. so yea or no and get the old one?

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,452 of 2,514
  cause people said newer one is better. im jus wondering if its worth it or no. so yea or no and get the old one?

Here's my take get the older version cheap. If you have the common Head-Fi disease you will want to upgrade eventually. Spend less now, so you can spend more later. 
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #1,453 of 2,514
unfortunately at least in windows 8 the version # does not show up in Device Manager :frowning2:

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #1,454 of 2,514
its better but not necessarily 1.5 times the price better, but thats just the way things work in the audio world, you need to pick your budget and find the best option in that range.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #1,455 of 2,514
  its better but not necessarily 1.5 times the price better, but thats just the way things work in the audio world, you need to pick your budget and find the best option in that range.

i work at best buy...i get the old one for a discount at...around $72. i can buy the newer one no problem but is it worth it. i can get it but wondering if its worth it. that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back