AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #1,427 of 2,514
  I'm assuming you're putting it in FLAC? Also, the Dragonfly doesn't play 24/192 no...? Even if you convert it to 24/192 what happens?

It will be downsampled to 24/96 iirc :)
Btw. i have no single idea what popping and clicking you are talking about, been listening to it hours over hours (youtube too) and didnt notice a single clicking and poping sound, is this  maybe only related to the older version or windows-based?

Btw. i think i read that the Dragonfly would'nt work on an USB-3.0 Port somewhere in this Thread, that is not true, atleast not under linux.
Working here :)

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #1,428 of 2,514
  It will be downsampled to 24/96 iirc :)
Btw. i have no single idea what popping and clicking you are talking about, been listening to it hours over hours (youtube too) and didnt notice a single clicking and poping sound, is this  maybe only related to the older version or windows-based?

Btw. i think i read that the Dragonfly would'nt work on an USB-3.0 Port somewhere in this Thread, that is not true, atleast not under linux.
Working here :)

What headphones are you using?

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,429 of 2,514
How does the Dragonfly compare to the Nuforce UDAC2 or Fiio e10?

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #1,430 of 2,514
  What headphones are you using?

Sennheiser HD595(50ohm) and AKG K140s(600ohm), but without any problem although the last one doesnt get as loud, but thats normal :)

No clicking poping whatsoever with either one.

EDIT/Off-topic:
It's kinda strange but i really like the mids of the AKG K140s more, than the  HD595(suppose thats what you call the 3kHz range? mainly vocals)
They sound somehow more present, other than that the HD595 surpasses it, it terms of details, highs and lows :/
I noticed it the most listening to pop-ballandes.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #1,431 of 2,514
This is my thoughts on the dragonfly.. I think if you are looking for something with audiophile sound then look elsewhere..if you need a headphone amp and have easy to drive headphones and quite like the sound coming from your computer..then it's for you..i think it makes the sound from your computer sound a tiny bit better..doesn't sound cluttered or muddy or harsh..just cleans the sound up a tiny bit!

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #1,432 of 2,514
can you compare with the Dragonfly? How does it stack up?

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #1,434 of 2,514
  This is my thoughts on the dragonfly.. I think if you are looking for something with audiophile sound then look elsewhere..if you need a headphone amp and have easy to drive headphones and quite like the sound coming from your computer..then it's for you..i think it makes the sound from your computer sound a tiny bit better..doesn't sound cluttered or muddy or harsh..just cleans the sound up a tiny bit!

Possible, but then we are talking about pricetags way higher than 150$.
Had the chance to compare it to the Asus Xonar One today (actually right now) and the Dragonfly is on par with it or even surpasses it in my subjective test, ofc. with same audio-levels, its normal that the Xonar One will drive especially the high-impendance Headphones way higher.

Just my few cents.

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,437 of 2,514
Ending up getting the arcam r dac wireless version..it works with my iphone with free app and with the free wireless dongle works from my pc over wifi..i have it plugged into my xbox in the bedroom(pc's downstairs) with my sennheiser headset and it goes through my Cambridge audio amp and wharfedale speakers for watching youtube catch up tv..it's much better than the other two dongles(dacmagic xs and dragonfly) by a long margin..not harsh sounding and the sound stage is much bigger with separation of instruments and you can hear things that you couldn't here before..peoples voices when they are talking on youtube are much more natural sounding..it's just a much better sound altogether..glad I got it now..this one definitely won't be going back!

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #1,438 of 2,514
  Ending up getting the arcam r dac wireless version..it works with my iphone with free app and with the free wireless dongle works from my pc over wifi..i have it plugged into my xbox in the bedroom(pc's downstairs) with my sennheiser headset and it goes through my Cambridge audio amp and wharfedale speakers for watching youtube catch up tv..it's much better than the other two dongles(dacmagic xs and dragonfly) by a long margin..not harsh sounding and the sound stage is much bigger with separation of instruments and you can hear things that you couldn't here before..peoples voices when they are talking on youtube are much more natural sounding..it's just a much better sound altogether..glad I got it now..this one definitely won't be going back!

I bought a DragonFly because it's cheap. My next one is Most prob Arcam Rdac or Meridian Explorer. For $99 you can't really go wrong... (well I think)

I wish there was a comparison between rPAC, Meridian Explorer and the Dragonfly

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #1,439 of 2,514
  I bought a DragonFly because it's cheap. My next one is Most prob Arcam Rdac or Meridian Explorer. For $99 you can't really go wrong... (well I think)

I wish there was a comparison between rPAC, Meridian Explorer and the Dragonfly

Did you mean Arcam rDAC or rPAC (you mentioned both)?

I have rDAC, Meridian Explorer, and AQ DF (1.0c) that I just bought less than a week ago due to $99 deal (not that I really needed it much :)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back