AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #1,411 of 2,514
  I got the Dragonfly today, I am trying to decipher if I can hear a difference with my he300. I definitely feel the sound is different especially on rock songs, can't pinpoint exactly what it is. I am going to do some A/Bing with the reg computer headphone jack and the dragonfly next weekend so I can make sure I want to keep the dragonfly. The build quality is pretty amazing, but wished there was a bigger case that has a zip for the usb cover, I can see myself loosing it quickly. 

You're pretty much right about the Carrying-Bag, its way to stiff and small to fit the whole Stick tightly in there, as far as i can see, the old carrying-case bag with the string seems to be the better sollution, although this is my first Dragonfly 1.2 and therefore can't compare it to the old :)
Build-quality is okay-ish, it got a metal-case but there is some play (grip it at the front and the case, and see for yourself), but other than that you're right.

I personally think, that some kind of a band for the cap, would be nice to have, still thinking that it will get lost over the time if i dont fix that :)

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,412 of 2,514
  You're pretty much right about the Carrying-Bag, its way to stiff and small to fit the whole Stick tightly in there, as far as i can see, the old carrying-case bag with the string seems to be the better sollution, although this is my first Dragonfly 1.2 and therefore can't compare it to the old :)
Build-quality is okay-ish, it got a metal-case but there is some play (grip it at the front and the case, and see for yourself), but other than that you're right.

I personally think, that some kind of a band for the cap, would be nice to have, still thinking that it will get lost over the time if i dont fix that :)

How do you know which version of the dragonfly you have? I thought I was buying the old one, but you make it seem like the leather carrying-case is for the new 1.2 version.

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #1,413 of 2,514
  How do you know which version of the dragonfly you have? I thought I was buying the old one, but you make it seem like the leather carrying-case is for the new 1.2 version.

They switched to the "leather" case for the earlier models sometime after the initial release.  The 1.2 version also comes with the "leather" case though as well.  Quoting the word leather because I'd be surprised to find out that it was real leather.  It doesn't look, or smell, like real leather.  

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #1,414 of 2,514
Aw okay, I would say it possibly is real leather. I'm smelling it right now (with probably 3 people in the room looking at me doing it..) and it smells like leather. :)

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,415 of 2,514
  Aw okay, I would say it possibly is real leather. I'm smelling it right now (with probably 3 people in the room looking at me doing it..) and it smells like leather. :)

It's P-Leather if you ask me.
Hold a cigarette to it for a very short moment, if its real leather it doesnt mind that much.
If its not but  plastic you got directly a hole in it - Rambo-Style :D

Asking about the version, first of it has a Sticker on the Box "New Version 1.2 even smother bla bla", furthermore if you are on a linux-system (guess that could work on the OSX-Commandline too)  and you type in lsusb -v (list usb verbose) you get  a lot of information regarding the pluged in USB-Devices one of them showing the following:

bcdDevice            1.20

This stands for the Device Revision Number, aka Dragonfly 1.2

On windows you could simply go to the Device-Manager -- select the Dragonfly -- properties... and somewhere around there should be a list in which should also be a subitem called Version... (not sure though didnt test it)

EDIT: BTW as far as i know the old version before 1.2 didnt have the FCC-Codes /CE printed on the back of the stick, so thats another method to find out if you got the latest version

Cheers.

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #1,416 of 2,514
I took a chance and bought one off ebay, no returns. The new version. Random clicks and pops, no matter what file format or output method. I've tried everything that I can think of. My E17 worked fine on the same PC with USB and ASIO. This is on Windows 8.

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #1,417 of 2,514
  I took a chance and bought one off ebay, no returns. The new version. Random clicks and pops, no matter what file format or output method. I've tried everything that I can think of. My E17 worked fine on the same PC with USB and ASIO. This is on Windows 8.

Hmm thats sad, i have no Windows 8 OS but can't replicate what you are getting there on any other OS i've tested it on.
It is working great here, listening to Alice Russell right now and ohh boy does it sound great :)

Its kinda strange but it seems like the stick got better sounding after a few hours of listening, although i think that that might be only a placebo-effect :)

did you think about the possibility that you just got a defective one?
could be right?

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #1,418 of 2,514
  Random clicks and pops

I realize your E17 worked fine, but might be worth a shot to try plugging the DF into an external powered USB hub if you have one around. Clicks and pops on USB audio devices often are a result of bad / limited power transmission which a powered USB hub might fix. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #1,419 of 2,514
Weird... I upgraded Windows to 8.1 and I haven't heard a glitch since (I think). What makes it a bit confusing is that I just purchased my first pair of "high end" headphones, and I'm actually hearing small defects in some recordings that I never noticed before.
Maybe I should get an external USB hub anyway. Would this degrade the SQ at all?

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #1,420 of 2,514
  Weird... I upgraded Windows to 8.1 and I haven't heard a glitch since (I think). What makes it a bit confusing is that I just purchased my first pair of "high end" headphones, and I'm actually hearing small defects in some recordings that I never noticed before.
Maybe I should get an external USB hub anyway. Would this degrade the SQ at all?

Hmm i still don't think that is has something to do with the USB-Stick, did you check if the 3.5mm Connector is okay?
I tried it with a pair of almost 34year old AKG K140S'es and had similiar stuff, that even disabled my left speaker?

First thought was like What really a cable break? But it was something complette different, there was some kinda of corrosion, an almost non visible patina that caused that failures.
I took a peace of a blanket and scrubbed it, and voila, the left speaker was working again, and the soundquality seemed overall better to0, check that, it might be possible too :)

BTW i dont think that an external USB-Hub would degrade the SQ at all.
Iam not sure what the "E17" is, are you referring to Sonys E17-Notebook? If so, this might be able too work out as a sollution too, but ask others before considering.

Iam talking about an USB-Y Cable like this : http://i.imgur.com/iO5YNo6.jpg

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #1,424 of 2,514
I wouldn't bother with any of them..save up and get something better.. the dacmagic xs never had a popping and clicking noise when watching you tube like the dragon fly has!

If u take it out and reinsert the dragonfly the pops should go away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back