AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Apr 10, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #2,236 of 2,514
Reading up on the new dragonfly dacs im confused. It describes them as a pre amp and amp??

What exactly is a pre amp and amp? Sorry for being totally clueless. What are the benefits of a pre amp or a standard amp??

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #2,237 of 2,514
In the olden days, you needed a preamp to get the output of a device to "line level" before passing it on to an actual power amp. It was also used as a hub to connect all your devices. Now? The preamp (as a separate box) is a bit of an outdated thing. Sure, hardcore audiophiles, especially those who play with speakers, will still want one. For headphone-level stuff, the required power is so low that a preamp can double as a headphone amp (and yes, most headphone amps are actually capable of acting as a preamp for a larger power amp). Similarly, most DACs also have enough power to double as a preamp

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #2,238 of 2,514
In the olden days, you needed a preamp to get the output of a device to "line level" before passing it on to an actual power amp. It was also used as a hub to connect all your devices. Now? The preamp (as a separate box) is a bit of an outdated thing. Sure, hardcore audiophiles, especially those who play with speakers, will still want one. For headphone-level stuff, the required power is so low that a preamp can double as a headphone amp (and yes, most headphone amps are actually capable of acting as a preamp for a larger power amp). Similarly, most DACs also have enough power to double as a preamp
hmmm ok cheers!

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #2,240 of 2,514
Looking forward to it.  Just need to decide to go Black or Red.

I'll be mainly using it for iems and on occasion low impedence headphones paired with my smartphone. Given this setup, anyone know if the Red will result in faster battery drain or will it be the same as the Black?

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,241 of 2,514
  Looking forward to it.  Just need to decide to go Black or Red.

I'll be mainly using it for iems and on occasion low impedence headphones paired with my smartphone. Given this setup, anyone know if the Red will result in faster battery drain or will it be the same as the Black?

I'm too lazy to dig up the exact link, but Audioquest said in a Facebook comment reply that the Red's battery drain might actually be less than Black's because Red's headphone amp is actually more efficient than Black's.

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #2,242 of 2,514
Thanks for that.  I'll wait and read actual impressions in real world applications between the two Flys.  I'm guessing that the Red drains more due to the higher voltage, but who knows, maybe it is efficient wen it comes to low impedance transducers.  If the real world difference of battery drain is less than a hour, I might as well have the one with extra power reserve.

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #2,243 of 2,514
From John Darko's Review:

"Like Black, Red runs from USB bus power and will travel anywhere. Rankin again: “In general the Red will draw less into the same load as Black. But just a little… as the bias current for the Black amp is a little higher.” Translation: Red will dent the portable host device’s battery life ever so slightly less than Black."

So Red actually draws a little bit less current than Black. They Both draw around 24ma compared to the old 1.2 that 's quoted at 100ma.

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #2,248 of 2,514
5/6/2016 as posted earlier in this thread.  You can tell the difference with the Black and Red as they have gold colored USB connectors, with the RED being the most obvious.  Should be only 4 versions with the name "Dragonfly".  The predecessor is the v1.0 and v1.2

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #2,249 of 2,514
  When will the new version be ready to buy?  I'm little confused is there 6 versions with same name? and 3 version of each color.  Not sure why there is not a different name or color for each one.

It's a lot simpler than you think.

Dragonfly 1.0 - discontinued
Dragonfly 1.2 - what you can get right now, soon to be discontinued?
Dragonfly Black - Lower-end of the new models, works with mobile
Dragonfly Red - Higher-end of the new models, works with mobile, is red

Users who are viewing this thread

Back