AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jul 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #151 of 2,514
Quote:
Questions for those using a DragonFly with a Windows PC.  What level of CPU utilization are you seeing in Task Manager while you play music?  What CPU does your PC have?

Bill

Not what you asked, but results should be similar ..... I'm using a FIIO E17 over USB on Windows XP Pro on a not-so state of the art Pentium D 2.8 GHz and the pertinent process (plugin-container.exe) runs at 5-6 %.  My System Idle Process is about 85-90%.  CPU Usage runs about 10%.

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #152 of 2,514
I've had one of these for a while now (pre-ordered from music direct) - and it is a stellar little device.

As a dac it's lights out.  

A step up or half step up from say even a pico dac.

The amp is nice - but to my ears needs a little extra help to push harder to drive cans (but even that is all sins of omission, nothing glaring).

Even something like a stepdance or graham slee voyager will give it a notable presence and power in the lower regions, that is rather notably missing head to head without it.

To give context - amp is clearly a portable vs a desktop - when going head to head with a Melos, Bottlhead, etc.

The dac could be mistaken for a mid-fi-ish desktop dac.  But head to head with even an HRT Pro, the hrt is a notable and obvious step up.

Now comparing an HRT Pro and Melos set up, you're moving to multiples up of price and you loose not only portability but pocket-ability - but  gives it some context.

All that said, it's fantastic - for the money, and size, it's mind boggling. 

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #153 of 2,514
Quote:
The amp is nice - but to my ears needs a little extra help to push harder to drive cans (but even that is all sins of omission, nothing glaring).

All that said, it's fantastic - for the money, and size, it's mind boggling. 

I don't know if it's fair to fault the amp in something like this... seeing as it's entirely bus powered and they have a specific power envelope they need to stick too.  One thing is Steve from Audioquest said this is the first of several devices of its ilk that will be coming out.  One of these apparently will have a built-in battery which may allow for better power delivery at the cost of size convenience.

I sent mine back already as it doesn't appear it is ideal for my specific application, but don't get me wrong - this is next level stuff.  If I were intent on keeping my Thunderpants I would hold onto it.  If you have cans that fit the bill and you're a road warrior get this ASAP.  Apparently Audioquest dealers will allow free overnight trials, I purchased mine thru Amazon Prime so returns are easy... it's very much worth checking out. 

To think what an impact the Hiface made just what, a couple years ago?  Now for $50 more you can get a pretty killer DAC *with* a top notch async implementation and headamp... in a smaller package.  With analog control that hooks into your system.  Mind blown.    It excites me to see what other products will be coming out in this domain.  

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #154 of 2,514
Really, which dealers are doing such trials?  That's pretty cool.

Anybody tried the DF with Hifiman RE-262/272 yet?  On paper the 272 doesn't need amplification but in reality it performs much, much better with the extra juice from my Stepdance over straight out of my iPhone.   

Quote:
I sent mine back already as it doesn't appear it is ideal for my specific application, but don't get me wrong - this is next level stuff.  If I were intent on keeping my Thunderpants I would hold onto it.  If you have cans that fit the bill and you're a road warrior get this ASAP.  Apparently Audioquest dealers will allow free overnight trials, I purchased mine thru Amazon Prime so returns are easy... it's very much worth checking out. 

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #155 of 2,514
Quote:
Really, which dealers are doing such trials?  That's pretty cool.

Not sure where I saw it, either on their website or mentioned by Steve in some forum, but apparently any Audioquest dealer will do this.  They have quite a few dealers US so if you're in a major metro area you probably can find one.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #157 of 2,514
Quote:
Any comparisons to the Centrance Dacport?   Quality of sound and power?  Is it on the bright side, or dark side, neutral? 

thanks

popcorn.gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #158 of 2,514
Quote:

I don't know if it's fair to fault the amp in something like this... seeing as it's entirely bus powered and they have a specific power envelope they need to stick too. 

Umm.. yeah.

(One of the reasons I tend not to post here as of late is around this sort of stuff - also please understand all the typical qualification - to my ears, you milage may very etc.)

My idea is to put some context around this - as in spell out the rough range where it competes - (and obviously there are a host of reasons where it does or does not sit - size, power, chip, etc. - but that's not my concern to elucidate here).

To clarify:

Amp - better than anything of it's size, but somewhat lacking behind a good portable amp (and not even the highest of the high end portables, but to my ears clearly a step below even a stepdance or graham slee voyager).  Definitely behind even a mid fi desktop amp (Melos, Bottlehead, Dynalo, etc.).  (And this was not only with the usual suspects Beyer 880, etc but even with Grados ranging from RS-1 to SR 225 - obviously not as noticable with the grados going down the scale but still there - audible to my ears with even an ATH-M50).

DAC - better than portable dacs i've hear like pico, which i love for what it is (no comment on centrace, which would be a great comparison).  But, neck and neck with mid fi destop DAC, falling in between an HRT II+ and and HRT Pro.

That in itself is amazing, much less the size and price, but it you're interested in some portable drive you'd be best to consider using it as a dac and getting a little dedicated portable amp (i don't use IEM, so have no idea have they would turn out).

again, all to my ears, YMMV, etc.

but these were my questions before buying it (just couldn't wait).

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #161 of 2,514
Guys,

Look the output impedance is 0.8ohms max... you cannot measure this kind of low output impedance with a freaken fluke meter.

Common guys get with the plan!

Look headphones and headphone amps are personal. Not all are going to work to the ability you want them to. If you don't like it change the amp or change the cans. It's your choice... but really don't start making up specs that you cannot even back up with a freaken $100 meter.

Thanks
Gordon

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #162 of 2,514
Already responded on CA but will just say thanks Gordon for stepping in and clarifying.

I stand corrected on what I'm perceiving my issue to be with the unit, I should have held onto it and done a proper burn-in.

I'll hold off for awhile and wait for further impressions on how the sonic character changes with burn-in, if all is good I'll likely pick one up again.

Cheers. - Beau

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #163 of 2,514
Quote:
Guys,

Look the output impedance is 0.8ohms max... you cannot measure this kind of low output impedance with a freaken fluke meter.

Common guys get with the plan!

Look headphones and headphone amps are personal. Not all are going to work to the ability you want them to. If you don't like it change the amp or change the cans. It's your choice... but really don't start making up specs that you cannot even back up with a freaken $100 meter.

Thanks
Gordon

Wow, That was not polite at all, especially coming from from the designer.
The impedance output was ballbarking, I dont know whats the problem with a 100$ meter, it has an error, but from 4 Ohm to 0.8Ohm... really hard to believe. The ohm law is the same 
Great Gordon, when I get back from my vacations I will make sure to test it on a Agilent DSO91304 from the college Lab.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #164 of 2,514
Quote:

Umm.. yeah.

(One of the reasons I tend not to post here as of late is around this sort of stuff - also please understand all the typical qualification - to my ears, you milage may very etc.)

Yeah sorry, you're right, in the end the actual performance is what matters.  I'm a software engineer and I tend to forgot this all too often.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #165 of 2,514
Just a very interesting fact.
Right now I  measured my iphone 4 output and got 1.02 Ohm using the same methodology as I did before. (yes using a "freaken" cheap DMM)
Cool isnt it? I think Im not that wrong..

Gonna send my unit back, its out of spec...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back