AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jul 29, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #2,506 of 2,514
Hey guys I've had Dragonfly Red for a while now (2-3 years?) and it's been my sound reference. My other gear come and go but this always stays. I just really like how Red portrays female vocal (very forward) and it make everything sounds richer and warm.

I've also bought Cobalt twice and returned both times since Red sound more musical to me. Cobalt to me is more technical but more lean sounding (and lack bass compare to Red).

Maybe I'm just bored (you know how it is with gear) and was wondering if I should try Black or 1.2.

I talked to one person who likes Black over Red. But from what I gathered here A LOT seems to like 1.2 over Red and a few likes Red over 1.2.

Is it worth it to give 1.2 a try? I found someone selling. Maybe skip Black for now or revisit later?

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess in the grand scheme of things this is still fairly cheap hahah, this is coming from a guy with Violectric V200 on my desk and here I am agonizing over $60 LOL.
You're not alone. The Dragonfly Red was my primary DAC for about 4 years. It just did everything really well. Beautiful instrument separation. Every IEM, headphone and speaker that I plugged into it sounded great!
I recently tried the Questyle M15 but didn't enjoy it. I then went all in and traded in my DRF to afford a Cobalt. I'm two days in and wondering "what have I done". Trebles on the cobalt are sounding metallic and artificial. I'm hoping there's a burn in period and that it's just teething problems on the cobalt that will settle down.

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #2,507 of 2,514
You're not alone. The Dragonfly Red was my primary DAC for about 4 years. It just did everything really well. Beautiful instrument separation. Every IEM, headphone and speaker that I plugged into it sounded great!
I recently tried the Questyle M15 but didn't enjoy it. I then went all in and traded in my DRF to afford a Cobalt. I'm two days in and wondering "what have I done". Trebles on the cobalt are sounding metallic and artificial. I'm hoping there's a burn in period and that it's just teething problems on the cobalt that will settle down.
LOL good tip about M15, I was planning to try it next. But good thing now you told me it's no good. So far I've tried:

Apple Dongle
Hidzs Sonata HD II
xDuoo Link 1
AudioQuest Cobalt
Zorloo Ztella
Radsone HUD100
A&K PEE51
Cayin RU6
L&P W2
L&P W2-131
Helm Bolt

And I still went back to Dragonfly Red LOL. Cobalt has better soundstage / imaging / layering but more lean sounding. So it's not really the same.

Really struggle to find a Dragonfly Red upgrade. Was tempted to buy iFi Go Bar but decided that maybe I'll accept Dragonfly Red is the best for me.

Jul 31, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #2,508 of 2,514
LOL good tip about M15, I was planning to try it next. But good thing now you told me it's no good. So far I've tried:

Apple Dongle
Hidzs Sonata HD II
xDuoo Link 1
AudioQuest Cobalt
Zorloo Ztella
Radsone HUD100
A&K PEE51
Cayin RU6
L&P W2
L&P W2-131
Helm Bolt

And I still went back to Dragonfly Red LOL. Cobalt has better soundstage / imaging / layering but more lean sounding. So it's not really the same.

Really struggle to find a Dragonfly Red upgrade. Was tempted to buy iFi Go Bar but decided that maybe I'll accept Dragonfly Red is the best for mi

Apple Dongle
Hidzs Sonata HD II
xDuoo Link 1
AudioQuest Cobalt
Zorloo Ztella
Radsone HUD100
A&K PEE51
Cayin RU6
L&P W2
L&P W2-131
Helm Bolt

Really struggle to find a Dragonfly Red upgrade. Was tempted to buy iFi Go Bar but decided that maybe I'll accept Dragonfly Red is the best for me.
I actually gave the cobalt a decent burn in over the last couple of days and now really impressed with how its sounding! Resolved the metallic treble sound, increased bass extension and improved sound stage. I'm happy now (I know it doesn't really help you out much though sorry). Hopefully you can get a good day at an audio store just to test all the gear they have! Would you consider a good DAP? I wonder of that could be a good step up.

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #2,509 of 2,514
I actually gave the cobalt a decent burn in over the last couple of days and now really impressed with how its sounding! Resolved the metallic treble sound, increased bass extension and improved sound stage. I'm happy now (I know it doesn't really help you out much though sorry). Hopefully you can get a good day at an audio store just to test all the gear they have! Would you consider a good DAP? I wonder of that could be a good step up.
lol all good, to be honest I think I'm happy with Dragonfly Red.

I'm only trying to spend more money because I'm bored but I should just accept that Dragonfly Red is the best for my taste LOL.

It's ok next I want to try R2R dac, so I'll probably just focus my money on that next. :laughing:

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #2,510 of 2,514
I don't have the Red version but I have been using the Blue one for around 6 weeks... so far not really happy with the price I paid for... I think I would try iFi GO bar later...

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #2,511 of 2,514
I don't have the Red version but I have been using the Blue one for around 6 weeks... so far not really happy with the price I paid for... I think I would try iFi GO bar later...
Been really interested in the Go Bar since it's been announced. Definitely let me know your impressions later if you do get your hands on it. :relaxed:

Aug 28, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #2,513 of 2,514
I have the red and the black and like both of them. The red has more detail and sounds better to me than the black, but I do enjoy both of them. I had read where the price difference between the red and the cobalt wasn't worth the improvement in sound.
I love the Red, never heard the Black. I use a Jitterbug with the Red. I prefer the Cobalt. I love the slow roll-off. Makes my local WAV files better. I recommend it.

Sep 4, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #2,514 of 2,514
I have the black and the red. And while the latter is definitely better, not really sure I'm that satisfied with the red, for me it sounds a bit too analytical maybe. Not sure I even want to try the Cobalt seeing all the feedback :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back