Audiophilleo 1 and 2 USB to S/PDIF transport
Jul 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #1,066 of 1,214
Quote:
The Empirical OffRamp5 was darker. 

I've read this on another forum too (comparing the OR5 to the AP2).

It's somewhat difficult to imagine that a string of ones and zeroes can sound dark given a bit perfect source.

I purchased an OR5 a few weeks ago and although it's my first experience with PC audio I will say that it's darker sounding than all of my previous sources (various CD and DVD players used alone and with an Audio DI as a re-clocker).

I'm not big on the whole 'smiley' thing but if we had a 'scratch your head' smiley I'd put it here.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #1,067 of 1,214
Quote:

I've read this on another forum too (comparing the OR5 to the AP2).

It's somewhat difficult to imagine that a string of ones and zeroes can sound dark given a bit perfect source.

I purchased an OR5 a few weeks ago and although it's my first experience with PC audio I will say that it's darker sounding than all of my previous sources (various CD and DVD players used alone and with an Audio DI as a re-clocker).

I'm not big on the whole 'smiley' thing but if we had a 'scratch your head' smiley I'd put it here.

It's more complicated than just a string of bitperfect ones and zeros. There's jitter, which is far more complex than most of us know. There's noise, which comes at a wide range of frequencies and does different things to different DACs. There's a bunch more stuff too, but it's too early in the morning for me to use much brain power to discuss.

"Dark" is probably an inaccurate analogy, but it did seem to fit based on my experience. 

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #1,068 of 1,214
For anyone who might be interested in reading it, I just got my review up of the AP1 with PurePower over at Part Time Audiophile. I remain exceedingly impressed with this combo. Others are plenty nice as well - OR5 and RefLink on the higher end, iFi iLink on the lower end. But if I could take my pick of anything out there (and honestly, I can) the AP1+PP remains my top choice. 

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,069 of 1,214
  For anyone who might be interested in reading it, I just got my review up of the AP1 with PurePower over at Part Time Audiophile. I remain exceedingly impressed with this combo. Others are plenty nice as well - OR5 and RefLink on the higher end, iFi iLink on the lower end. But if I could take my pick of anything out there (and honestly, I can) the AP1+PP remains my top choice. 

Excellent review and I agree. The Audiophilleo was my favourite interface for a good while. With all the DACs I have tried and that includes the PWD2 I presently own, a good interface brought very significant improvements. It's good to see you have tested the Audiophilleo with a cable. That is my preferred option. The direct connection isn't all its made to be imho. It is after all a 4cm wire with a random quality at that.

I have used my AP2 extensively, but instead of going the Pure Power route, I went with:
AP2 + IFI GEMINI + linear regulated 5V USB power supply + AG500 power regen. 
A huge improvement to stock AP. 

It took a lot to replace the Audiophilleo, and that was the PUC2Lite. With the added bonus the PUC2Lite is a huge bargain for the SQ it delivers. A good quality AES cable is a must.

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #1,070 of 1,214
I also concur. I bought the AP2 recently and the improvements over direct USB connection to my Burson Conductor are hugely significant - especially with regards to soundstage, imaging and, most notably, treble extension. Anybody listening to the LCD-2 for the first time on my current setup would probably be left wondering why they have a reputation for sounding dark and closed in. The AP2 remedies all the Audeze shortcomings as well as improving upon their traditional strengths. I'd never have thought a USB interface could make such a difference and I'm contemplating sending my AP2 in for a Pure Power upgrade.

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #1,071 of 1,214
I also concur. I bought the AP2 recently and the improvements over direct USB connection to my Burson Conductor are hugely significant - especially with regards to soundstage, imaging and, most notably, treble extension. Anybody listening to the LCD-2 for the first time on my current setup would probably be left wondering why they have a reputation for sounding dark and closed in. The AP2 remedies all the Audeze shortcomings as well as improving upon their traditional strengths. I'd never have thought a USB interface could make such a difference and I'm contemplating sending my AP2 in for a Pure Power upgrade.

Absolutly agreed on that. I have LCD-2 too and after adding Audiophilleo2 + PurePower to my NAD M51 everything became really more open, but tightly placed and much more musical. I held a mini-meet at my workplace with about ten Headfier two weeks ago and dleblanc343 who heard my system last year (the dac at that time was Wyred4Sound Dac-2 with direct USB connection) was totally surprised by how the sound was more open as he remembered from last year meet. And don't let me start with the bass improvments with the add of AP2 + PP...

On a side note, I started to experiment with a new USB cable last night (Silnote Poseidon Siver Statement Reference) and I would say without a doubt that the improvment this cable brought to my system is as significant as adding the AP2 + PP. I previously used WireWorld Starlight Serie 7 and Transparent Performance. Sold both and will be keeping the Silnote.

Sep 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,072 of 1,214
Very nice review project 86 !

I too am using the AP2 w/PP on my invicta and it does improve the sound quality by a bit.  The improvements aren't as apparent as my older dac,the Wyred4sound DAC2.  I think I mentioned this last time, but I did a one time comparison (on a speaker system) between the Reflink and AP2 w/PP and the Reflink was the clear victor there.  The main differences were in the high frequencies, where the Reflink just seemed more relaxed and controlled, whereas the AP2 sounded a little harsh and strained at times.  This is however using AP2 with just the direct connection vs Reflink with a cheap 1.2m spdif cable.  In the future I may have to test the AP2 with a cable to see if this changes anything.

On another note, I have the Berkerly Alpha Design Audio (BADA) USB to test against the AP2.  I found that the BADA to have the smoothest high frequencies of the 3 usb converters that I've used.  But the BADA really shined with the low frequencies.  The AP2 normally improves the bass by tightening up the low end, but the BADA not only tightens it up, it also adds a little more impact to each of the bass notes, giving it that slightly more engaging feel.  It may be system dependent, but the added bass clarity with impact is ideal in my situation.

To sum up the order of high frequency (Brightest to least bright):

AP2 w/PP > REFlink > BADA usb

Bass clarity and impact :

BADA usb > AP2 w/PP = REFlink

YMMV but these were my findings in my system.

PS: BADA usb was using a 1.5m AES cable.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,073 of 1,214

Excellent review and I agree. The Audiophilleo was my favourite interface for a good while. With all the DACs I have tried and that includes the PWD2 I presently own, a good interface brought very significant improvements. It's good to see you have tested the Audiophilleo with a cable. That is my preferred option. The direct connection isn't all its made to be imho. It is after all a 4cm wire with a random quality at that.

I have used my AP2 extensively, but instead of going the Pure Power route, I went with:
AP2 + IFI GEMINI + linear regulated 5V USB power supply + AG500 power regen. 
A huge improvement to stock AP. 

It took a lot to replace the Audiophilleo, and that was the PUC2Lite. With the added bonus the PUC2Lite is a huge bargain for the SQ it delivers. A good quality AES cable is a must.

Where did you get the PUC2 Lite from? Seems hard to find online. It'd be ideal to connect to my NAD M51 since it has an AES input.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #1,074 of 1,214

+1

since i got AP2+PP i see little reason to be worried about upgrades, i understand some solutions might still be better but is margin improvement a big enough?

for me Audiophilleo brings transparency and clarity on a whole new level, i nearly can feel drums now since palpations are rendered with more air and subtleys, voices come glass clean and sound immediacy becomes striking.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,075 of 1,214
I think the Audeophilleo has something of a disadvantage compared to other devices, just in terms of perception - simply because it's been on the market for a bit longer. We tend to get excited about the new stuff, and forget about the things that came before. Do people get excited about HD650 any more? Even LCD-2 and HE-500, which were blockbuster news at first, have become rather common. Doesn't mean they aren't still really good. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,076 of 1,214
  I think the Audeophilleo has something of a disadvantage compared to other devices, just in terms of perception - simply because it's been on the market for a bit longer. We tend to get excited about the new stuff, and forget about the things that came before. Do people get excited about HD650 any more? Even LCD-2 and HE-500, which were blockbuster news at first, have become rather common. Doesn't mean they aren't still really good. 

Exactly. The taste of the month ... after no more love.

I have AP1+PP and love it. The convenience to plug & forget and program ANY remote is convenient.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #1,077 of 1,214
popcorn.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,078 of 1,214
Preproman, have a glass of Coca Cola too :)

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #1,079 of 1,214
Philip is a very cool guy, response the email quick and super quick dispatching, I received the PP's shipment notification with tracking id after making the payment 10-15mins.

So exited and can't wait for my AP2+PP to arrive!

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #1,080 of 1,214
  Philip is a very cool guy, response the email quick and super quick dispatching, I received the PP's shipment notification with tracking id after making the payment 10-15mins.

So exited and can't wait for my AP2+PP to arrive!

Nice! That makes your V800 (which is already a very good DAC) step up to even higher levels. Nice system you have there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back