Audiofly AF140 Triple Hybrid - AUSTRALIAN Tour Thread and Impressions
Jun 1, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #36 of 137
So, how are they?

I actually like them... Warm and sweet. Reminds me of the sm3 v2 with dynamic bass driver.

Bass has good emphasis and extends well. Quite rounded, not as tight as I'd like but is well controlled. Nice natural bass sound overall.

Mids presentation is lush and smooth with no emphasis. Vocals are laid back but still maintain a natural tone.

Treble is really smooth and laid back. There seems to be a dip in the lower treble so it doesn't have the clarity and transparency of other hybrids. But detail is still there and fortunately doesn't sound veiled to me.

Overall a very relaxing sound presentation very akin to sm3v2 which I really like. Very musical hybrid to me.

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #37 of 137
Update: listening to lower volume is not as desirable. The Af140 is also like the tf10 signature in a way. At lower volume the mids recession is more pronounced so veiling is more apparent. The mid bass hump also becomes more emphasized.

So like the tf10, I have to listen at high volume levels to attain the desired sound and bring more presence from the mids. Fortunately, the treble is tuned to complement high volume so sibilance is never an issue.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #38 of 137
Update: listening to lower volume is not as desirable. The Af140 is also like the tf10 signature in a way. At lower volume the mids recession is more pronounced so veiling is more apparent. The mid bass hump also becomes more emphasized.

So like the tf10, I have to listen at high volume levels to attain the desired sound and bring more presence from the mids. Fortunately, the treble is tuned to complement high volume so sibilance is never an issue.

So they should be about due to be heading my way?

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #39 of 137

So they should be about due to be heading my way?

There's been an overlap with my review of the DN-2000 so I didn't really get to start with this till thursday last week.
The AF140 will be posted on wednesday or thursday morning. I still have to take photos and a bit more listening.
I'll let you know as soon as I've posted them. Please PM me your address mate... cheers!

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #40 of 137
So the AF140 has landed in Sydney, same day as my hot new 27" iMac, so it's really party time at my place.

Some initial initial impressions of the phones... first thing is AF have build and physical detailing totally nailed. I've got a set of their AF78 as well and like those the AF140 is well built, very nice looking and with fantastic detail on the cable etc. In this regard these guys are as good as the big companies like Sennheiser and Audio Technica, really impressive for a small boutique producer. The case is really nice, it's a nice canvas with chamy inside, much nicer than the usual nylon. The design looks very nice but is not super-practical, it works fine but the actual storage space is a lot smaller than the case itself. But I spose that probably adds cushioning.

SQ... warm, nice bass thump. a bit lacking in treble sparkle for me, I went straight for a bit of treble boost. But I think I instantly like them more than the H300 I had last week. They seem quite balanced and natural sounding. I found the H300 a bit too harsh, with that artificial/metallic sound sig. These are much smoother and more natural to my ears. But this is very early days.

Jun 13, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #44 of 137

Isn't that distortion a bit high on the 140? also looks a little treble-challenged - other than the 10K peak.... hmmm

Reading graphs isn't my strong point, I usually let my ears do the judging..

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #45 of 137
Isn't that distortion a bit high on the 140? also looks a little treble-challenged - other than the 10K peak.... hmmm

Reading graphs isn't my strong point, I usually let my ears do the judging..

I didn't hear the distortion... Sounded pretty clean to me. Lacks a bit in treble extension tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back