Audiofly AF140 Triple Hybrid - AUSTRALIAN Tour Thread and Impressions
Aug 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #62 of 137
I would probably recommend listening to a few options because they have a specific sound that some people may like while others (like lin0003
wink.gif
) will not like. In other words, it all depends on what you're looking for

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #63 of 137
Yeah, if you are looking for a warm IEM, the Superdarts that I tried a while back are pretty nice.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #66 of 137

I auditioned SD briefly and as far as I remember, it is more on the colder side of things?

I remember it as quite warm, but I could be thinking about something else, it was quite a while ago and a very short demo. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #67 of 137

I auditioned SD briefly and as far as I remember, it is more on the colder side of things?

Oh, good point. I just focussed on the "their nice" part
wink.gif

They're quite V-shaped with good, moderately emphasised bass, but not a lot of warmth in the mids. I don't know I'd call them cold, but also not warm like the AF140s / AF180s

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #68 of 137
Aren't the Atomic Floyd Super closer to $300 than $200? Not sure how much they are in Australia either...  For a $200 Hybrid, there are a lot of options. DN1000, DN2000, etc...

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #69 of 137
There there is the comfort level. The Atomic sit as nice and as securely as the AF140? I have always liked the shapes of the Atomic line but the thought of something sticking directly outwards looks ungainly.

Wormwood 

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #70 of 137
I'm not a fan of the design and the cable sticking straight out, but it ok when I tried it. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #71 of 137

Oh, good point. I just focussed on the "their nice" part
wink.gif

They're quite V-shaped with good, moderately emphasised bass, but not a lot of warmth in the mids. I don't know I'd call them cold, but also not warm like the AF140s / AF180s

Yeah, I remembered them as being bright and massive bass

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #73 of 137
I've had some time with these tonight and I think they're just brilliant! They're musical enjoyment devices, not analytical tools so it all depends what you're looking for. I personally find them to be easily the most seductive and engaging hybrid (or any earphone <$300) that I've heard. Seems to me that Audiofly have nailed it with their new series with a nice combination of detailed (AF120 & AF160) and musical (AF140 & AF180).

I am seriously considering a purchase of a pair of AF140s. I just love their relaxed, seductive approach - reminds me of a poor mans LCD2 in IEM form.

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #75 of 137
I received the demo AF140 unit today.

The packaging is excellent, unique and stylish, especially the canvas carry case, the accessories seem satisfactory and I like the recyling approach AudioFly have taken on the boxing. Using my own tips I was able to get a perfect fit straight away using large Sony Hybrids, good comfort levels and a no fuss seal. There is however a decent amount of driver flex both sides though if you know what you're doing and not deliberately causing the drivers to flex it can be avoided by simply breaking seal on removal and lifting your  ear on insertion. 

I especially like the cable material, it's very very flexible, soft, holding almost no memory and looks quite appealing too.

I quite like the AF140, it sounds especially decent from Rockbox iPod Video headphone out (set flat), despite trying other higher end sources. But before I go on let me say I can understand completely why some people may feel underwhelmed by the darkish mid-range if it isn't their preference, however I can dig the signature personally. To some AF140 may sound veiled, smokey though it has a nice vibe and the detail is really there beneath that warmth, quite a bit of detail actually which you don't really need to listen for. Soundstage is very good from the ipod, it didn't sound as nice from some other sources though, and a little less mid-bass would be preferred to lessen some bleed though I can dig them man, they're definitely ok to my ears.

I'll come back later in the week. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back