Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Nov 17, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #332 of 393
LOL. I was amused by that part. The review is very well written (as all of his are).

He's an active poster here: HuoYuanJia. Maybe he will drop by the thread sometime.

Nov 18, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #333 of 393
IDK, he complained about roll offs, peaks, dips.... These HPs are the flattest, neutral HPs you could find w/ measurements to back it up right?

On the contrary my first impression was the opposite. It was kind of U shaped at the beginning. Maybe this is what let me to believe since I was used to HPs with exactly the opposite characteristics. All, having far more frequency roll-offs at the ends of the spectrum. As compared to PMx2's more extended and flatter bass and treble responses. Further listening, I could concur that it is indeed "extendly" flat since I am hearing natural, real tones. Instruments/vocals/effects sounded "naturally right".

He said (along some people) finds it warm. IDK. Comparing to my HD600 its not. Extended yes but not warm. To be picky, I do like my PMx2s to be a teeny-weeny bit warmer still (maybe that "extended and flatter" highs w/c I am not accustomed?). Time to place an amp maybe... To many variables to consider.

Yeah, too many "sticker" words.. :p

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #334 of 393
It’s interesting how activity in this thread waxes
and wanes.

PMx2 continues to impress. I remember a quote from LFF that his Paradox was created to sound like ‘nothing’ and this pretty much sums up my impression of PMx2. Paired with a like minded source (ADI-2 Pro) it’s the closest to ‘being there’ that I have been with headphones.

Perhaps it’s time to sell Utopia...

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #335 of 393
That's an accurate description of my experience with the PMx2 + RME ADI-2 pro as well.

As for the popularity of this thread... I guess that was to be expected.
The PMx2 isn't the "new new" anymore, the Oppo PM-2 is discontinued, and big companies who release TOTL headphones get all the attention.
I still like to try out new headphones from time to time at the local hi-fi boutique, or if there's a show near by. It serves as a re-affirmation that the PMx2 is still best for me.

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #336 of 393

A reasonable review but as others suggest, I don't really agree with all his points; tonality is the best of any headphone I've heard.

But I will add that the point about about a slight lack of treble is easily fixed by an improved headphone cable. I use a Toxic Cables Silver Widow 22 which is extremely good, improving just about everything; some more treble (and smooth and natural with it), more detail, fine transparency, and better dynamics giving a more solid, definite sound. Very natural sounding, the same fine tonality .... all adding up to more realism.
I guess these benefits address most of the issues in this review.

The Toxic Silver Widow 22 is therefore very highly recommended, but others suggest the Toxic Silver Poison; can't go far wrong with either. Do try one of his cables!
I have no connection with Toxic and I'm not on commission .... :)

Jan 4, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #337 of 393
It’s interesting how activity in this thread waxes
and wanes.

PMx2 continues to impress...

I agree totally, it continues to impress me with the sheer enjoyment of music, an hour (sometimes 2) per evening, listening now as I write.

I've had mine for a year now and in that time I've made several improvements to the headphone system (CD only). Every time I make a change the PMx2's show it up, and when it's an improvement there's no doubt about that whatsoever!

I've tried a number of CD players over the last year; Accuphase, Blacknote SACD300, Resolution Opus 21, AMR CD777, Gryphon Scorpio, and Lector CDP707.
The Gryphon was pretty good but, along with most others, ultimately limited (to my ears) by being delta/sigma.
I find the Lector outstanding; it uses PCM1704 multibit dacs and a good valve output stage (which responds massively to rolling in some good NOS valves).
With every good change of valve the sound has got so much better.
The Lector has bass, rhythm, dynamics and musicality that I've never heard from a delta/sigma based player, and also has tonality, naturalness and female vocals to die for; paired with the PMx2 and a good valve amp, I am in musical heaven. Mmmmmmmm.

Same goes for interconnects between CD player and amp. The difference that a good one makes is not subtle! With every positive change, the sound through the PMx2 just gets even more amazingly better. I'm currently trying an Argento VDM, a Synergystic Research Designers Reference and a HFC CT-1E, all of which are fine high end cables (all better than Nordost Valhalla IMO); cables of this quality are NOT wasted on the PMx2 system !!!!

Sarah McKenzie playing now, Little Girl Blue; quietly and amazingly compelling, spine tingly .....

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #338 of 393
Upping this thread for an amaazing headphone. Placing a smile on my face everytime I'm using it.

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #339 of 393
Great to see this thread still alive! As well as the product in question:)

My chain currently:
Foobar2000 mp3 > DSD512 > Lampizator Atlantic +superclock > QED Reference 40 RCA cable > Schiit Lyr 2 +Voskhod Rocket 1975 > Silver Poison cable > PMx2

New findings:

1. the PMx2 has (naturally) rolled off sub-bass, but boy, when you equalize it (w/ a well-powered amp), suddenly you have a pair of subwoofers on your head! No kidding! This isn't one of those "extra-bass" headphone sound, this is a real, actuall bass. This is not a bass-head thing, the low end is (as I've learned) extremely important for the overall image or feeling.

upload_2018-2-14_4-38-20.png

2. another thing I was doing wrong all this time, I was pumping the DSD in Foobar way too high, and then the almost fully analog Lampizator was pushing too much into the output RCAs, and the amp just had no way to show its full potential (the volume knob had to be way down; and yes, RCA attenuators do kill the dynamics). Given the ginormous bandwidth (? there's a better word but I can't get it now; SNR? oversampling? lol) of DSD512, I guess this is understandable. My Foobar volume slider currently (this is where I like the airness of the resulting stage the most):

upload_2018-2-14_4-52-46.png

The result is hard to describe, obviously, the russian Voskhod tubes are some sort of magic, and the PMx2 just delivers. (I had the similarly highly regarded vintage Telefunken tubes there before and the stereo separation was just sawing my head in half every time the recoding had the lead vocal 2mm off-center.)

Happy listening!

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #341 of 393
Had the opportunity to listen to @Allanmarcus' older model (?) PMx2 a few months ago and it left a positive impression. Fast forward, and now I've got a PMx2 v2 inbound tomorrow! Quite excited to hear how it fares in my system. Seems fairly unique as headphones in the TOTL price range go.

I'm expecting some additional amps in the next few weeks, but I'm currently planning on using it with the Torpedo III. Perhaps not the best choice for a planar, but I'm optimistic that the PMx2 will play pretty nicely from its lo-Z output.

Basically, I'm hopeful that it'll sound akin to a clearer, more technically surefooted HD650. Improved extension would be nice. Though I'm not expecting it to be more resolving or obviously superior in every particular.

Figured I'd chime in on here, as the thread hasn't been very active of late.

Apr 3, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #342 of 393
When you are contended, there's no much more need in writing. You just keep quiet, enjoy the music and smile...:relieved:

Congratulations!

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #343 of 393
I'm hopeful that it'll sound akin to a clearer, more technically surefooted HD650.

I think it's good to have low expectations, or, in this case, extremely low.:)

I only compared with HD600. The emotion was something like disgust. PMx2 is a different realm completely. HD600 was on a copper cable, PMx2 on a silver one, but still.

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #345 of 393
Got the PMx2 in yesterday and set about putting it through its paces... but I didn't get very far. It seems to be a rather poor match with the Torpedo III, at least given the tubes I have on hand.

After some decidedly underwhelming initial impressions, I grew suspicious of the pairing and compared the TIII with a battery-powered amp that I keep around. Although I had suspected going in that the TIII might not prove an ideal matchup with the PMx2, I was surprised to find that the portable handily won out! Go figure.

So the PMx2 gets tabled until a Massdrop CTH shows up next week. Hopefully it'll deliver better results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back