Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Jul 28, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #76 of 393
Thanks guys. I appreciate the commentary. I wonder if someone could make comparisons to other TOTL hp's that might be similar to the pmx2, or even different for the matter. Still curious...

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #77 of 393
mmm......an amateur's prelim impressions: compared the HD 800 to the PMx2. The senn wins in terms of resolution. We all know that it is a very revealing headphone. Unfortunately, the senn also has a clinical/analytical approach and is unforgiving of poorly-recorded tracks. . The PMx2 is also a revealing headphone (tons of details) but less so than the senn and is more forgiving. It is also a more musical headphone than the 800. In terms of ergonomics, the 800 wins (for me, it is still the most comfortable full-size headphone ever created) but for a planar magnetic, the pmx2 is, by far, the most comfortable ever (compared with my LCD X or the EL8).  Both headphones tested on portable amp/amp dacs only (chord hugo, mass kobo 395, continental dual mono, CEntrace hifi m8 and ifi idsd micro with AK 240, Sony pcm d100, and cayin n6) with their respective stock cables. I have not compared the pmx2 yet with the TH 900 or the Grado PS 1000 or the LCD X.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #78 of 393
We'll have Tyll's impressions from his "Big Sound 2015" segment on IF. He's included the PMx2 in his roster of TOTL headphones, along with the HD800, LCD-X, Ether etc. That should hopefully give us an understanding of how the PMx2 compares with some of the other heavy hitters. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #80 of 393
I wanted to add that I've had the pmx2 in house for a week. I'm in the process of a review to post in the next week or so. Let me say that I'm impressed with what I'm hearing with this mod. 

Thanks to Alex for sharing his work and his time to speak with me about the pmx2. Alex is a passionate guy and his desire to achieve a wonderfully "linear" sound is well executed. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #81 of 393
I have the PMx2 and for me is very very good headphone, with my little dac OPPO HA-2 the result is spectacular ! HD800 is spectacular , Beyer T1 , TH900 and more but the PMx2 or PM-2 is very special on HA-2 for me ! In first time afte my Alo Panam i think buying the Alo Continental dual mono, but just for test i'm go on local dealer for the Oppo HA-2 .. Finaly is my final combo, great sound and small price ! 

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #82 of 393
Cant wait to read your review!
They seem awsm, but might lack the bass I want for EDM/electronic music, or? 

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #85 of 393
Any plans to mod the Oppo PM3 or  PM1?

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #86 of 393
How is their bass impact? Compared to hifiman or audeze

Obviously better than Hifiman, but different than Audeze. Audeze has a dark focus on bass that is real fun, pmx2 has a focus on a thicker more textured note throughout the frequency range that is unique.

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #87 of 393
Aug 10, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #89 of 393
Any plans to mod the Oppo PM3 or  PM1?

Thanks for your interest and yes, for the same $699.00 we are modding PM-1s as well as PM-2s (these cans are exactly the same except for two things we replace anyway: backside damping and pads).
No plans for physical mods on PM-3 as of yet, maybe DSP filters..... .

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #90 of 393

Obviously better than Hifiman,

Have you heard the HE 6 (properly driven) ? Best bass i have heard on a HP till date. HE1000 goes lower but HE6 has more impact.

Please don't take me wrong, the HE6 is a very nice sounding headphone, but is more about linear clarity than bass. Yes it hits hard when called for, but generally, the Audeze is a darker HP IMO. I do agree that the HE1000 is a level above the HE6/Audeze, especially in bass response, but I feel the PMx2 is a unique signature that can live with the HE1000, especially in usability. The PMx2 is the first time that I have heard audiophile class SQ out of my iPhone. The Audeze/HE6/HE1000 certainly cannot do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back