Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
May 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #1,097 of 2,205
Quote:
I posted up my video of the AD1000X :)

Yup - great video/review! I'll be sticking with my ad900x's for the forseeable future, but will will always have a slight "ad1000x envy" going no thanks to your vid lol

May 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #1,098 of 2,205
eek.gif
 a_rec review?!

I'll gladly watch. Give your more views, thus more $, thus more toys for you to buy, thus more reviews for us :>

May 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #1,099 of 2,205
I believe the cup designs are the same, but it looks like you want dog pads because they are thicker and that is NOT correct the stock pads are actually thicker. My ears sometimes rub on the driver now and that didnt happen with stock pads.
Quote:
Do the W1k and AD2k have the same basic cup shape as the AD900 with the larger plastic piece in the back? Pictures would be great too if anyone has this setup! I've taken to bolstering my AD900 pads with foam can insulators cut into half circles.

May 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #1,100 of 2,205
GD Tenso.

You have to verify your identity and your address if you haven't done so prior.  I used Tenso last year and didn't have to do this then.  I submitted my utility bill instead of driver's license and they shot me down because they needed my dob as well; my DL does not have my current address however and hence why I used the utility bill.

So now they have both the bill and my driver's license and they approved it.

During which time I missed the shipping cutoff so now they won't ship until Japan's Monday.  

Word of warning to you's!

May 9, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #1,101 of 2,205
it's a little irritating that that's a new requirement, but eh. i blacked out the sensitive information my driver's license, anyway, and they approved it within 5 minutes of submission.

May 9, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #1,103 of 2,205
Thanks for the comments guys :)
Quote:
eek.gif
 a_rec review?!

I'll gladly watch. Give your more views, thus more $, thus more toys for you to buy, thus more reviews for us :>

BWAHAHA I could be a THOUSANDAIRE

Seriously no. More views does not quite equal more money lol. Please send me headphones.

But anyway, a little update. Had a chance to bring the AD1000X to a meet, along with the MA900. Agreed with kookoo that the AD1000X definitely had an edge over the AD900X. He felt like there was some grain / incoherency in the AD900X that wasn't present in the AD1000X. (Though he was also going from memory). Also the AD1000X has a particular coloration that worked really nicely with female vocals.

I might see if I can grab him to give some input here - he's thinking of getting a pair as a companion to the HD650!

The surprise of the night was definitely the MA900 though. It turns out that the MA900 is very much like a HD650 with more forward mids.

May 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,104 of 2,205
Quote:
Thanks for the comments guys :)

BWAHAHA I could be a THOUSANDAIRE

Seriously no. More views does not quite equal more money lol. Please send me headphones.

But anyway, a little update. Had a chance to bring the AD1000X to a meet, along with the MA900. Agreed with kookoo that the AD1000X definitely had an edge over the AD900X. He felt like there was some grain / incoherency in the AD900X that wasn't present in the AD1000X. (Though he was also going from memory). Also the AD1000X has a particular coloration that worked really nicely with female vocals.

I might see if I can grab him to give some input here - he's thinking of getting a pair as a companion to the HD650!

The surprise of the night was definitely the MA900 though. It turns out that the MA900 is very much like a HD650 with more forward mids.

Yeah, now I'm definitely getting the AD1000X. The HD 650 is just far too laid back and "lazy" for me.

May 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #1,106 of 2,205
Hello,

I'm wondering whether I should get the AD2000x or AD1000x and also I wonder in how they compare to the HE-400/HE-500.
Another question I have is how well do they sound without proper amplification? I currently only own portable Fiio and Soundmagic amplifiers. I do plan on buying an amp/DAC combo in the future but I would like to have some headphones to improve with the amp first :wink:
Anyway, I listen mostly to instrumental music consisting of guitar/bass and sometimes piano/sax/trumpet (I listen to mostly blues/rock and starting to get more into jazz).
Which headphone do you think in right for me from the ones mentioned?

May 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #1,107 of 2,205
This doesn't help really but in the previous generation some people really didn't like the ad1000 but did endorse the PRM model which was rarer (moreso in the US than in Japan).  I was surprised to see those in this thread that really like the ad1000x.

I think it was mentioned somewhere in this thread if you like treble 1000x, if you like mids 2000x.

May 9, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #1,108 of 2,205
Quote:
Hello,

I'm wondering whether I should get the AD2000x or AD1000x and also I wonder in how they compare to the HE-400/HE-500.
Another question I have is how well do they sound without proper amplification? I currently only own portable Fiio and Soundmagic amplifiers. I do plan on buying an amp/DAC combo in the future but I would like to have some headphones to improve with the amp first :wink:
Anyway, I listen mostly to instrumental music consisting of guitar/bass and sometimes piano/sax/trumpet (I listen to mostly blues/rock and starting to get more into jazz).
Which headphone do you think in right for me from the ones mentioned?

I have both the ATH-AD2000X and HE-500, and they get equal listening time. Two very different headphones with sound signatures that are poles apart, yet both so involving. I would describe the ATH-AD2000X as the more airy and spacious, with more details; the HE-500 is more focused and coherent, with more energetic thump. On good recordings, both have wonderful mids and treble, with the HE-500 having the edge on bass.

Whenever I try to do an A-B comparison, the one I put on my head first stays there until the end of the playlist, makes me forget about the other. :)

Unamped, the ATH-AD2000X is decently loud at 3/4 volume of my Asus Nexus 7 - full volume is unbearably loud.

You will not like the HE-500 unamped or even poorly amped. It needs at least 1 watt at its impedance to sound really good. In fact, before I got the Violectric V100, I used to drive it with a 40wpc Rotel speaker amp.

May 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #1,109 of 2,205
Quote:
This doesn't help really but in the previous generation some people really didn't like the ad1000 but did endorse the PRM model which was rarer (moreso in the US than in Japan).  I was surprised to see those in this thread that really like the ad1000x.

I think it was mentioned somewhere in this thread if you like treble 1000x, if you like mids 2000x.

i don't know if the AD1000X is for treble lovers (though it's not for bass lovers). There's a certain thickness to the sound like the AD900X. Ill need to get the AD2000X and AD1000X to get a real comparison but the AD1000X seems like decent value to me.

May 10, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #1,110 of 2,205
Decided to bite.
Ordered the AD2000X from pricejapan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back