Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Apr 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #901 of 2,205
Quote:
The E12 is currently entering mass production (with a revised bass boost) and should start to be available in the next few weeks. Check micca store if you're in the US.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620339/fiio-flagship-portable-amp-mont-blanc-e12-discussing-thread-the-pre-order-unit-arrives/1710#post_9309478

More info at this post

Wow, $130 for the E12?  Is it really that much better than the $60 E11?

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #902 of 2,205
I've neither owned or listened to an E11, so I can't comment on how much of an improvement it is, but I'm really satisfied with the E12's performance with my AD900x. The bass boost really fills in bottom end, which, mind you, isn't exactly lacking or as light as the AD700, which I upgraded from, but it certainly gives it more body and texture. It also works very well with my HiFiMan RE-0 that I just recently received. Being that it is more suited to my tastes than the $100 C&C BH, I think $130 is pretty fair for the E12.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #905 of 2,205
So I got the email from Tenso today saying they received the package on the 28th. The email was dated the 28th but I only got it today. The email told me I had to make the payment for their fee so I logged into my Tenso account. I got a pop up stating I had to provide ID so I uploaded a scan of my drivers license. I can see the package on my pending page but there is no button the make the payment, it looks like I have to wait two days while they process the ID.

Very annoyed about this. I gave them my credit card details when I signed up and they will have been sitting on my package for over a week by the time this gets sorted 
mad.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #906 of 2,205
So I got the email from Tenso today saying they received the package on the 28th. The email was dated the 28th but I only got it today. The email told me I had to make the payment for their fee so I logged into my Tenso account. I got a pop up stating I had to provide ID so I uploaded a scan of my drivers license. I can see the package on my pending page but there is no button the make the payment, it looks like I have to wait two days while they process the ID.

Very annoyed about this. I gave them my credit card details when I signed up and they will have been sitting on my package for over a week by the time this gets sorted 
mad.gif

... I never needed to send a copy of my ID to ANYONE when I ordered my AD900x from Amazon.jp through Tenso. That sounds fishy to me, but maybe other members can offer better insight.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #907 of 2,205
^ Yes, that is a new requirement from tenso.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #908 of 2,205
Huh, that's interesting. Something to look forward to doing when I decide to put an order in for the WS99, I guess.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #909 of 2,205
Quote:
Wow, $130 for the E12?  Is it really that much better than the $60 E11?

It's a bit subjective. And also, remember that the E11's price only recently came down to those levels. Regardless, it's a good question.

I just did some a/b'ing with my AD900X through my E12 and E11 (via ELE DAC and laptop). The E11 is pretty good actually. I used to think that it had a bit of a veil with my AD900X's, but I realize now that it was probably the EQ2 (2nd bass boost) setting that was causing some boomy-ness in the low end which may have been contributing to that impression. If I stick to the EQ1 setting, it sounds pretty good. I do find that the E12 seems to add a bit of clarity and body to the notes, and there is just something about the sound coming out of the E12 that seems more refined and engaging. Having said that, the E11 sounds very good.

The ability to charge the E12 while using it is definitely worth something to me.

And the last thing that I really like about the E12, at least with the beta version 1, is the way the bass boost is configured. I can use it with my AD900X and it sounds great. I can also use it with my already bass endowed WS99's and it sounds great. The E11's EQ1 setting is close, but not as good (the E11's EQ2 setting often just doesn't work for me).

One thing to keep in mind is that although the E12 is beautifully built, it is larger than the E11, and so it is less portable. To be honest, I am happy to have both so that I can leave my E12 mainly at my desk, and grab the E11 when on the go (probably to be replaced though with the C&C BH) when using with my iem's that are not so amp sensitive.

So in summary, I can't answer you about whether the E12 is worth an extra $70 over the E11, but I do know that I am happy to have it!

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #910 of 2,205
Quote:
^ Yes, that is a new requirement from tenso.

The pop up said it's a requirement of the government as of 1/4/13. Tenso offered a coupon for doing it now so I thought I might as well. I'm annoyed now because had I have left it til later I could have paid now but mostly because they've had my phones since last Thursday but I only got the email today.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #911 of 2,205
Quote:
Huh, that's interesting. Something to look forward to doing when I decide to put an order in for the WS99, I guess.

Maybe get it done now so that you are not held up.

Quote:
The pop up said it's a requirement of the government as of 1/4/13. Tenso offered a coupon for doing it now so I thought I might as well. I'm annoyed now because had I have left it til later I could have paid now but mostly because they've had my phones since last Thursday but I only got the email today.

Yes, annoying!

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #912 of 2,205
Quote:

Relax and enjoy some music on your 27 other headphones :) It'll come eventually. Once Tenso ships it's very fast.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #913 of 2,205
Quote:

I get an impression that the bass is actually stronger on the AD1000X, though that may be because the highs are smoother so I turn up the volume higher on them.

I'm pretty satisfied with the level of bass; its on par with the MA900 if not more. On some tracks I've been surprised at the impact of the bass, especially for an open headphone. It sounds pretty tight.

Thanks for your impressions! I am thinking the AD1000x may have everything that I feel is a bit lacking in my 900x's.  Hopefully one day I'll get to audition a pair or maybe just suck it up and upgrade to them lol

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #915 of 2,205
Currently burning in the AD500X. Initial impressions are that they basically sound like a more 'airy' version of the A500X, which I expected. Bass impact is more than what I expected. Not huge but it's definitely there and hits at a decent level. Sound is balanced, maybe a tad bright, but I'm expecting the highs to smooth out a bit. Pretty impressed so far. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back