Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Mar 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #601 of 2,205
Quote:

As for burn in.. These benefit from burn in more than any other headphones I have ever heard. The change from open box to 200 hours mark is nothing short of amazing.

I'm not a real believer in physical burn in, but I'll let these run in for a bit before making any grand proclamations.

Also my listening time is torn between this new toy and another new toy; the XBA-40 hehe.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #602 of 2,205
The only real negative of letting them run in with some music is they get kinda loud. The real change happens within 24 hours and then they progressively get fuller sounding.  I would just let them play out as much as possible and you should get a good idea of their sound.

Would love to send you mine and you will get a completely different sounding set of cans from your new ones. Lol..Mine on open box was compressed sounding.. The sound folds out like a fan and then fills out in between with more and more use.. Completely worth a longer run in with some bass pounding music. Look forward to your take on them for certain.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #604 of 2,205
It's probably apples and oranges, but I'd like to know if anyone can compare the Senn 650's and the AD900x. I purchased the Senns when they had their sale a short while ago, and I'm curious how these compare. Do they have much in common, are they completely different "flavors", does it make any sense to the the AT's when I already have the Senns. Reading this thread too much, very tempting...

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #605 of 2,205
Quote:
It's probably apples and oranges, but I'd like to know if anyone can compare the Senn 650's and the AD900x. I purchased the Senns when they had their sale a short while ago, and I'm curious how these compare. Do they have much in common, are they completely different "flavors", does it make any sense to the the AT's when I already have the Senns. Reading this thread too much, very tempting...

i have both of the headphones, and i can tell you i only bring out the hd650 when i've had a very stressful day for some classical and laidback music. the ad900x in comparision keeps you engaged in the music. to put it short - they are not ANYTHING alike when it comes to their sound signatures. though i admit the HD650 excels in the classical music genre compared to the AD900X.

what i use to power the HD650 is ODAC + Asgard 1 if you wanted to know the gear driving them.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #606 of 2,205
Quote:
     i have both of the headphones, and i can tell you i only bring out the hd650 when i've had a very stressful day for some classical and laidback music. the ad900x in comparision keeps you engaged in the music. to put it short - they are not ANYTHING alike when it comes to their sound signatures. though i admit the HD650 excels in the classical music genre compared to the AD900X.

what i use to power the HD650 is ODAC + Asgard 1 if you wanted to know the gear driving them.

I used my first pair of hd650's almost exclusively for a good four years or so. When I started to expand and listen to a variety of headphones, I began to hear things in the 650's that slowly bothered me to the point where I can't listen to them anymore. The veil that people talk about became very obvious. They became to laid back to my ears and not engaging at all.
Too bad too, I really liked them back in the day. I went from a pair of Grados to the 650's and thought that was a big improvement in sound. Anyway, I even bought a second pair to see if they could rekindle the magic, but no, they sounded just as dull as I had grown to experience. 
Sorry, just my thoughts on the HD650's, and yes, the AD900x leave them in the dust
L3000.gif

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #607 of 2,205
Quote:
Is there a noticeable overall sound quality level at the different price points or is it just different flavors?  AD2000x owner here.  Just curious what's unique about the top model vs the more affordable ones, besides physical differences.

I was not able to get a close listen to all three headphones due to the amount of noise at the store but I was able to recognize pretty quickly that the AD1000x is overall better than the AD900x with a less colored mid than the AD2000x. 

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #608 of 2,205
OK, sold me. I was trying to use Tenso to buy the AD900x, having trouble (everyone seems to think it's a breeze, I have not been able to complete order). Ordered from Amazon.co.jp, copied the address, the phone #, Zip/Postal Code (this on the Amazon registration page), there's a line "prefecture", province or similar, has a drop down, can't find that info on my Tenso page. I know at one point there was a Head-Fi "how to" on using Tenso, can't find it, searched both in site and Google. Anyone have a suggestion, or the link to the site?
Thanks

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #609 of 2,205
Quote:
OK, sold me. I was trying to use Tenso to buy the AD900x, having trouble (everyone seems to think it's a breeze, I have not been able to complete order). Ordered from Amazon.co.jp, copied the address, the phone #, Zip/Postal Code (this on the Amazon registration page), there's a line "prefecture", province or similar, has a drop down, can't find that info on my Tenso page. I know at one point there was a Head-Fi "how to" on using Tenso, can't find it, searched both in site and Google. Anyone have a suggestion, or the link to the site?
Thanks

This might help.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #610 of 2,205
Quote:
I was not able to get a close listen to all three headphones due to the amount of noise at the store but I was able to recognize pretty quickly that the AD1000x is overall better than the AD900x with a less colored mid than the AD2000x

I think you might have helped sell a few AD1000x with that statement. 
biggrin.gif

On another note, I've been playing around with the parametric EQ in Jriver and applied a 2-3 db cut at 5khz and +1db to around 45hz and 75hz and then applied the "subtle" crossfeed setting and am really liking what I'm hearing.  I tried the 5khz based on a CSD chart of the AD2000 showing a large spike and ringing at 5khz so the cut seems to take some of the edge off, I have to assume a similar spike is present with the AD2000X.

The "subtle" crossfeed setting seems to really improve the imaging without mucking with the overall sound too much.  I know many here are averse to eq and dsp in general but I like the results.  I spent a good hour or two just tweaking around in the parametric EQ to get the right balance without taking away the sense of presence and making them sound veiled.

In case there is any Jriver + AD2000X users out there that want to try it, the current PEQ settings I've settled on for now are:

-2db @ 4.7khz
-2.8db @ 5khz
+1db @ 75hz
+1db @ 47hz
-1.5db overall

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #611 of 2,205
Review of the AD2000x  from here.

Using Google translate- Quote:
Review

Close to the machine played a renewal of interest in a long time
"ATH-AD2000X" "ATH-AD1000X Part 1" - Continuous Audio Technica review "AD" series
Kenji Nomura / writing, interview
Add this entry to your Hatena :: Bookmark 06 December 2012
This fall, headphone "AD" series of Audio-Technica Open-air dynamic renewal for the first time in years. Led by "ATH-AD2000X" the flagship model, has developed a lineup of five "ATH-AD1000X" "ATH-AD900X" "ATH-AD700X" "ATH-AD500X".

This time, Mr. Kenji Nomura listen simultaneously five new series AD model. Of course, the quality of each product is delivered in three consecutive reviews in total, such as its position in the series.

◇ ◇ ◇

Among manufactured by Audio-Technica headphones, there are some long-selling model that perennial favorite. One of those is also referred to as an open-air type, depending on the combination of drivers and a large diameter housing and open type, sense of spaciousness is good, and by the tendency sound natural, AD series has continued to gain a high reputation from many people.

In such AD series, model change to be the first time in eight years has been subjected. Only popular standard model, the extent of evolution or any materials, where an anxious lot. So, I decided to borrow all five models, which debuted all this time, try to verify the extent of its evolution closely.

AD Series 5 models, but all has been renewed once, and we'll look in more detail, I found that the series is divided into roughly two groups actually. "And, of middle-high class" "ATH-AD2000X" "ATH-AD1000X high-end series It's ATH-AD900X" "ATH-AD700X" "ATH-AD500X". These are almost indistinguishable in appearance, the layout of the cable (2000/1000 are 900/700/500 gives out pieces in both) seen some such as the shape of the fixed part and the driver, is something different in terms of specification. So, let's take a look at the details of high-end series "ATH-AD2000X" "ATH-AD1000X" first.

"ATH-AD2000X" "ATH-AD1000X": Part 1

The flagship of the AD series "ATH-AD2000X" is equipped to adopt the OFC voice coil (99.99999% purity) 7N grade magnetic circuit permendur, a specially designed 53mm aperture driver. Diaphragm also has been newly renovated to the material. On the other hand, the housing into the frame and joints Choice magnesium alloy, the aluminum material. Hybrid configuration with normal OFC and OFC of 6N grade in Shenzhen, adopted highly-elastic elastomer resistant involved in the sheath, the cable out of both the structure and the right-and-left independent ground wire is to balance ease of use and sound quality. Also, ear pads, to employ a combination of low-rebound urethane foam material and Ecsaine is only special specification "ATH-AD2000X".

ATH-AD2000X

(November 2004) ATH-AD2000 that model before

It should be noted, seems like its predecessor and almost unchanged but "ATH-AD2000X", renewal in appearance have been made over the range actually. By around the driver as well as previously mentioned, is provided inside the diffuser to the housing, to change the position of the cable connection at the same time, has been greatly smoothed air flow. In addition to this, a distinctive shape change of Audio-Technica headphones also exclusive "3D wing support." Together, it became also very good fit with earbuds became a three-dimensional garment.

Baffle adopted a newly developed air routes to ensure the fin-shaped

Expression of both the cable out. Change the unit back to soldering surface of the cable connections, sound is now coming from the direction of the unit 360 degrees

Cable sheath in elastomer, a hybrid configuration with the normal grade of 6N OFC and OFC

Ear pads as well, the combination of low-rebound urethane foam material and Ecsaine. The design has been changed to a flat low to prevent escaping contact with the surface by
However, the difference between the new and old immediately apparent if you listen to the sound. It made me enjoy good missing too predecessor, the sound of the natural taste, with new models spaciousness is smooth more, much forget that it is a headphone at, to enjoy the sound field with excellent stereoscopic effect now me. Also, if you have different sound character, and changes to the natural tone while maintaining sharp no sense of the goodness of the missing, a sense of focus and a high sense of speed range has been further improved in the low range. Thanks to that, the real intention, was listening to a lot and yet sound pleasant. Meet the expectations of the firm AD series fans, it's a great product that boasts a more mature mind.

Although the basic configuration is almost unchanged "ATH-AD2000X", such as the diaphragm material and other magnetic circuit is a special type, "ATH-AD1000X" by Taishi is different, such as the design of the frame.

ATH-AD1000X

Has adopted a new housing design also:

Nevertheless, the same tendency as "ATH-AD2000X" about the sound character. Although there is a difference in sound quality to say about the real feeling and certainty and resolution, there is no change in expression with excellent sound spread good stereoscopic effect. Without having to audition strictly comparable with the "ATH-AD2000X", We should be satisfactory enough people even "ATH-AD1000X".

ATH-AD1000 that model before

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #612 of 2,205
Despite being satisfied with the AD900x, I can't help but wonder how the 1000x and 2000x sound in comparison. Anyone who has demo'd all three, could you share how the 900x in inferior to either?

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #614 of 2,205
Quote:
Quote:
Despite being satisfied with the AD900x, I can't help but wonder how the 1000x and 2000x sound in comparison. Anyone who has demo'd all three, could you share how the 900x in inferior to either?

Haha sorry about your wallet
wink.gif

For buying the AD900x...? I'm definitely not in the market to purchase anymore headphones for a while except maybe a pair of planars - in which case, sorry for my wallet indeed LOL. Regarding the AIR series, though, I'm completely in love with my 900x. I'm just curious about the advantages of 1000x and 2000x. Clarity, soundstage, bass/mid/treble performance, etc.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #615 of 2,205
Quote:
I used my first pair of hd650's almost exclusively for a good four years or so. When I started to expand and listen to a variety of headphones, I began to hear things in the 650's that slowly bothered me to the point where I can't listen to them anymore. The veil that people talk about became very obvious. They became to laid back to my ears and not engaging at all.
Too bad too, I really liked them back in the day. I went from a pair of Grados to the 650's and thought that was a big improvement in sound. Anyway, I even bought a second pair to see if they could rekindle the magic, but no, they sounded just as dull as I had grown to experience. 
Sorry, just my thoughts on the HD650's, and yes, the AD900x leave them in the dust
L3000.gif

Interesting. I love the HD650's, though I don't own a pair. I always go for laid back, and actually almost all the headphones or earphones have a veil of some kind. Sometimes I don't mind something aggressive but with a lot of the music I listen to it just gets unbearable.

Speaking of which, I'm just going to leave the AD900X's to get acquainted with Skrillex while I go to the Mardi Gras HOOOOO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back