Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Mar 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #616 of 2,205
Here are some impressions on the ADX series that I have not seen posted on this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-ghosts-first-take-ath-ckn70-pg487-dannybs-first-take-ath-ckn50-pg383/6750#post_9124128

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-ghosts-first-take-ath-ckn70-pg487-dannybs-first-take-ath-ckn50-pg383/6030#post_9068390

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #617 of 2,205
Quote:
My AD900X's keep feeling like they want to slide down my head, which I don't remember the AD900 feeling like it would do. The wing mechanism seems less stiff.

Quote:

I thought so. Exactly the same failed wings as the A900X. Why on earth didn't they stick with their FAR superior wings of the older series?

That alone pretty much seals the deal.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #618 of 2,205
Your loss :wink:

Seriously though, what's "failed" about them? They work for me very well, although for smaller heads I suppose they could be an issue. But as Ds points out, a bit of bending should address it. Worth it for that comfort and SQ imo.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #619 of 2,205
Quote:

Seriously though, what's "failed" about them? They work for me very well, although for smaller heads I suppose they could be an issue. But as Ds points out, a bit of bending should address it. Worth it for that comfort and SQ imo.

Have you used the older styled wings? I've had 3 AT wings from the older style, and one from the new (A700, AD700, AD900 - A900X). All 3 of the old ones fit my head perfectly and don't bring me any issues whatsoever. The newer, cheaper version doesn't fit anywhere near as well, and they look/feel uber cheap. I don't like how they changed the tension on the springs, thus created major slippage. Being/looking/feeling "cheap" doesn't hurt anyone, but in this case, I find it unacceptable. Holding the newer style wings in my hand makes me cry, and just looking at pictures makes me cringe.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #620 of 2,205
Quote:
Quote:

Have you used the older styled wings? I've had 3 AT wings from the older style, and one from the new (A700, AD700, AD900). All 3 of the old ones fit my head perfectly and don't bring me any issues whatsoever. The newer, cheaper version doesn't fit anywhere near as well, and they look/feel uber cheap (A900X). I don't like how they changed the tension on the springs, thus created major slippage. Being/looking/feeling "cheap" doesn't hurt anyone, but in this case, I find it unacceptable. Holding the newer style wings in my hand makes me cry.

Personally, I much prefer the wings on my AD900x compared to my old AD700. Age of the cans might play a factor, but out of box, I didn't have issues with the new system. I guess I have a normal sized head. I just took my 900x off to play with the wings a bit and I guess I agree that they're kinda cheap feeling, but besides for the purposes of this conversation, I never think about it. The 900x has sat comfortably on my head for many hours a day for the past two months. I realize that others' experience may vary greatly from mine, however.

Just how far does your pair slip?

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #621 of 2,205
To me AD900x headband fits much better than AD900, which I think the headband is too loose
I can't even feel the "wings" of AD900x on my head at all and it wouldn't slide down or bulge on my head.
On other note, I have to agree that AD900x on open box sounds seriously congested. I couldn't distinguish it with my old M50 at all except for weaker bass. After 100h of burning in is a different story lol. My M50 is going on sale soon. 
Have anyone tried AD900x with Odac + o2 combo yet?

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #622 of 2,205
Quote:
Quote:
OK, sold me. I was trying to use Tenso to buy the AD900x, having trouble (everyone seems to think it's a breeze, I have not been able to complete order). Ordered from Amazon.co.jp, copied the address, the phone #, Zip/Postal Code (this on the Amazon registration page), there's a line "prefecture", province or similar, has a drop down, can't find that info on my Tenso page. I know at one point there was a Head-Fi "how to" on using Tenso, can't find it, searched both in site and Google. Anyone have a suggestion, or the link to the site?
Thanks

This might help.

Exactly what I was looking for...I knew I had seen this post by Dsnuts, couldn't remember where or find it searching (have you tried going through his posts 1 by 1? 
confused_face(1).gif
 Sheesh, could take months!

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #623 of 2,205
Quote:
To me AD900x headband fits much better than AD900, which I think the headband is too loose
I can't even feel the "wings" of AD900x on my head at all and it wouldn't slide down or bulge on my head.
On other note, I have to agree that AD900x on open box sounds seriously congested. I couldn't distinguish it with my old M50 at all except for weaker bass. After 100h of burning in is a different story lol. My M50 is going on sale soon. 
Have anyone tried AD900x with Odac + o2 combo yet?

I'm running the AD900X on an ODAC/ O2.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #624 of 2,205
This fit/"wings" stuff is interesting to me...I have a pair of A700's, never could get them to fit comfortably. The wings never sat flush on my head (I have a small head). The 700's don't seem to bend/adjust as Dsnuts picture showed-maybe not metal, feel plastic on the outside. Do other small headed folks find it easy to adjust the 900x?

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #626 of 2,205
Quote:
Review of the AD2000x  from here.

There is almost nothing about sound ... and not first time posted here i think but thanks anyway ^^

Quote:
Here are some impressions on the ADX series that I have not seen posted on this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-ghosts-first-take-ath-ckn70-pg487-dannybs-first-take-ath-ckn50-pg383/6750#post_9124128

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-ghosts-first-take-ath-ckn70-pg487-dannybs-first-take-ath-ckn50-pg383/6030#post_9068390

AD1000X V shapped huh ? AD1000 was not v Shapped at all hum , and for AD900 soundstage it was wider than AD2000 , so this still the same for X

Quote:
how's the midrange and soundstage ???

Just great , if it is with my AD2000X it should be great with AD900X , AT phones are very easy to drive , i think O2 with 1X gain is one of the better match for them , unless you want to add some "coloration" .

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #627 of 2,205
Okay I think I've listened enough out of the AD900X to give some small impression of the sound.

The AD900X's definitely do have the characteristic that I remember most strongly from the AD900 - namely a very dry, extended treble range. This is a definite and noticeable aspect of the sound that carries through every track I throw at it - this very strong sense of air from an emphasis on the treble.

Mids are clear and have a nice bell-tone clarity, but vocals are not especially mellow or liquid. Again like typical AT they do an amazing job on female vocals; the lack of lower mid emphasis make male vocals sound nice but not particularly interesting.

Bass is fast, tight and punchy, decent for an open headphone but not anything standout to me. From memory it seems like a definite improvement on the AD900 bass. Listening to this test: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php driver action starts at around 20hz, but only really becomes audible at 30hz and only reaches full volume at about 60hz. There is definitely some roll off in the sub-bass, same as with almost all open headphones. (Except the LCD-2 heh.)

Soundstage initially seems quite open because of the treble emphasis and the way it tends to emphasize atmospherics in the sound (reverb, echo). However, like how I remember the AD900 and AD2000, soundstage is actually somewhat diffuse and imprecise. It's slightly smeared over a large area, and I'm not getting any sense of great imaging.

My main criticism of the sound: while these sound great for slower tracks where the atmospherics shine, they fall apart a bit for very fast aggressive music because a) they don't separate or layer amazingly b) the hot treble just becomes too spitty c) the slight bass roll off makes it harder to preserve a sense of beat or rhythm.

I am really being incredibly harsh here though. Relative to other headphones in their price category (I'm going by the Amazon.co.jp price I got) these are great. While I wouldn't recommend them for people who listen to a lot of aggressive electronic or metal, they do an amazing job with almost everything else. Build quality is also a big plus, but I'm still undecided about comfort.

I want to listen a listen a little more and gather my thoughts before I give a comprehensive comparison against the MA900, but I'll say this: I like the MA900 more. I am sure the AD900 will have many fans because of the treble flavour (the MA900 is definitely more laid back and mellow in that regard) but imaging and layering are noticeably better on the MA900. The MA900 sounds a little more boring but has better genre bandwidth than the AD900X. The MA900 is also hands down more comfortable for me.

Of course, the MA900 should be a better headphone technically; it costs more. Build quality on the AD900X puts the MA900 to shame.

Once I've written / made my video review, I'll put the AD900X's on sale. The money will probably go towards an AD1000X and AD2000x :wink:.

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #629 of 2,205
Found A900X ART factory reconditioned (whatever that means) from BuyDig, came sitting on the inner plastic plus plug adapter without the outer shell. Nothing else except an A-T US 1 year warranty card from Stow, Ohio. Only bothered because of $137 price to my door. BuyDig mistakenly listed specs for the A900 (Ebay).

Can only compare to my AD700 Air (open). (Have the T500 but that would not be a fair comparison) Had the A700X for about an hour but sent it back, too dark sounding or a bum pair. Had Senns HD280 Pro for years until they disintegrated and wiring failed, veiled bass at best.

Sound output from a Prodigy 7.1 (similar to a stereo Prodigy HD2) card using my favorite OP AMPS. No equalization settings. Used a 48Hz sample rate to match the movie track.

Started with Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat 2006 FLAC tracks. Later listened to Pitch Perfect 2012 DVD AC-3 track.

A900X: Earcups are snug for the closed sound, makes my ears feel warmer but the fit is fine. AD700 fit I still prefer, so light, I can wear them for hours. Some prefer the AD700 for its magnesium content(?). Both have angled drivers. AD700 cups are softer, again for the open design because you don't need the seal around the ears  as much.

Bass much improved and enjoyable. Sound details much improved along with separation. Bass seems a bit overpowering now hiding the highs. Voice ranges and clarity are good on both phones but the A900X does a better job bringing all sounds out front and forwarded. My opinion, sound stages are the same on both but the A900X makes better use of it by filling it in. I was always trying to turn the volume upon the AD700 to get the sounds up front, didn't work. A900X is good at even low volumes.

Morph The Cat tracks sound much fuller with more detail and any bass is now sounding like bass. You will really stop complaining and just sit back and listen. Someone mention sibilance, I should mention you can hear that with Donald Fagen because he has a lisp, with good phones you hear his lisp plain as day.

Pitch Perfect had background sounds that the A900X detailed i.e. coughs, conversations, etc. almost annoying to hear them but that is the recording. AD700 didn't supply that much detail in its sound stage, same movie. Maybe, the AD700 has a bit more sound staging (openness, echo, reverb) but the A900X makes better use of it with its sound range and details. The a-cappella movie scenes really show the voice range in comparison to the guys and girls. You can pick-out individual voices if you want and with the better A900X bass highlights the guys, noticeably, this compared to AD700 sound. This movie is full of professional singers, very little sibilance to be heard. I think it is a pronunciation flaw in singers esp. girls that produces that hissing sound. For example, Taylor Swift's 'Speak Now World Tour Live' concert DVD has her full of hissing sounds since she is not in studio in front of a filter screen. Great crowd ambiance recording on that DVD.

Donald Fagen must have access to some great studio mixing as many instruments come together to make his sound. Even later on Linda Ronstadt had access to great studio work for her recordings. Makes me wonder what Ella and a young Sinatra would really have sounded like in studios nowadays. Older works sound tired as you can listen to sound through better hardware and electronics than those studios ever had. Must be why the urge to remaster original recordings but that sound was only what could be picked up.

Anyway, for the price, no complaints for A900X (not really broken in yet, I think, factory reconditioned?) I can't even complain about AD700 either because it cost $70 (Amazon, box looked new to me). Favor the A900X now, lived fine with the AD700 for the past few months, it's that AT sound staging and voice range that are so pleasing. Now have bass and some more detail in the A900X.

So that leaves me with how the AD900X would sound, might have to sell some phones to test that one and I need the comfort of the open phones, I'm afraid the A900X will be fatiguing over the long haul with the earcups having to snugly seal around the ears and the back pressure on the eardrums from the closed style. Seems radio personalities suffer loss of hearing from years of wearing headphones. Wonder if wearing open style makes a difference?

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #630 of 2,205
Quote:
Excellent impressions. That cleared my curiosity right up. I wish the MA900 was more popular.

Haha! Don't get me wrong. The AD900X is a great headphone and I think that it would appeal to people for different reasons than the MA900. My comments reflect what I think are the main weaknesses / strengths against the MA900.

I can't decide whether the AD900X or the MA900 sounds more natural to me though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back