Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Jan 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #303 of 2,205
Quote:
AD2000X rocks. 

Care to elaborate?  I'm planning on buying the AD2000x near the end of the month.  The prices seem to be getting a little more reasonable.  Looking forward to hearing some more detailed impressions from people who have gotten them.

My only experience with Audio Technica so far is the closed A900x I currently own and I like it enough that I'm willing to delve into their higher end offerings.  I'm planning on pairing it with an Audio-GD SA-31 amp and maybe Schiit Gungnir or Bifrost DAC.  Seem's like it should be a decent combo for the money.

Kind of off topic but I also currently have an AKG K702 65th anniversary on order so when I order and receive the AD2000x sometime in February I can try to post a comparison if anyone is interested.  Somewhat of a price gap, but should be interesting 
smily_headphones1.gif

I only say that because I've seen some old, old threads comparing the K701 and AD2000 so I think I next gen comparison would be cool.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #304 of 2,205
Yea. I was going to do an AD2000 vs AD2000X comparison but ended up selling my AD2000 before I even got the chance to compare. All I can really say is that the AD2000X sounds fantastic to my ears. Audio-Technica does a nice job with their heapdhone lineup.

Without having done a direct comparison I could say that the AD2000X may offer a little more bass, a little less mids, and a little more clarity. Perhaps I miss those mids slightly, but the W5000 gives me all the upper mids I could ever want. Am content.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #305 of 2,205
Quote:
Yea. I was going to do an AD2000 vs AD2000X comparison but ended up selling my AD2000 before I even got the chance to compare. All I can really say is that the AD2000X sounds fantastic to my ears. Audio-Technica does a nice job with their heapdhone lineup.

Without having done a direct comparison I could say that the AD2000X may offer a little more bass, a little less mids, and a little more clarity. Perhaps I miss those mids slightly, but the W5000 gives me all the upper mids I could ever want. Am content.

And About driver touching ears , and campling  clamping ? 

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #306 of 2,205
Quote:

And About driver touching ears , and campling ? 

The drivers do touch the top of my ears (part that sticks out most in my case). But not nearly as much as with the AD2000. With the AD2000 my ears were literally pressed against the drivers. But it didn't bother me after the first day.

The AD2000X earpads have more padding on the inner part. They're more even from outer to inner earpad. On the AD2000 the earpads only seem to having much padding on the outer portion and quickly descend into almost nothing. 

No idea what campling means.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #308 of 2,205
I was not. Never been charged customs fees when importing from Japan. Even when I ordered an HA5000 and a few other things. Quite a larger box with a fairly high declared value. No problems. But maybe I just got lucky.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #309 of 2,205
Quote:
The drivers do touch the top of my ears (part that sticks out most in my case). But not nearly as much as with the AD2000. With the AD2000 my ears were literally pressed against the drivers. But it didn't bother me after the first day.

The AD2000X earpads have more padding on the inner part. They're more even from outer to inner earpad. On the AD2000 the earpads only seem to having much padding on the outer portion and quickly descend into almost nothing. 

No idea what campling means.

ok they improved the pad things seams great i am OK with AD2000 , just time to time i am a little bothered with drivers , and if X can improve it a bit , not bad at all (the sound signature seams similar soo ... .

Well for clamping hum i mean : my AD2000 even doing some head banging stay relatively secure on my head , on my gone A2000X a slight head movement and it would fall . 

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #310 of 2,205
Quote:

ok they improved the pad things seams great i am OK with AD2000 , just time to time i am a little bothered with drivers , and if X can improve it a bit , not bad at all (the sound signature seams similar soo ... .

Well for clamping hum i mean : my AD2000 even doing some head banging stay relatively secure on my head , on my gone A2000X a slight head movement and it would fall . 

Ah, clamping. You said campling. :p I'd say these are a tad more secure feeling. But then again, I was not the first own of the AD2000. The original owner could have made it a little more loose fitting. Could also be because this AD2000X is quite new. With a little time maybe it'll slightly loosen up. I like the clamp, personally. What bothers me is pressure on top of my head. Audio-Technica's wing system puts practically zero pressure on top of my head. Feels good. Very good.

I didn't do a direct comparison so I am not sure how similar they are. But I do know that the AD2000X didn't really sound 'off' at first. Though I do think it probably offers a little more midbass impact. That seemed noticeable. Looking forward to seeing some graphs comparing the two. I'm curious about how accurate (or inaccurate) my indirect comparisons are.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #311 of 2,205
Quote:
Ah, clamping. You said campling. :p I'd say these are a tad more secure feeling. But then again, I was not the first own of the AD2000. The original owner could have made it a little more loose fitting. Could also be because this AD2000X is quite new. With a little time maybe it'll slightly loosen up. I like the clamp, personally. What bothers me is pressure on top of my head. Audio-Technica's wing system puts practically zero pressure on top of my head. Feels good. Very good.

I didn't do a direct comparison so I am not sure how similar they are. But I do know that the AD2000X didn't really sound 'off' at first. Though I do think it probably offers a little more midbass impact. That seemed noticeable. Looking forward to seeing some graphs comparing the two. I'm curious about how accurate (or inaccurate) my indirect comparisons are.

ha yes campling tss XD . i think that AD2000X should be a safe buy , don't know yet if i will pick up this soon or first try a K702 ANV , AD2000X are quite new and it's not a limited edition so i can buy it later , but doing a direct comparison would be nice to ...  But i can't afford to have AD2000X and K702 ANV at the same time , my problem .

Well thanks any way for inputs ^^ .

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #312 of 2,205
Some trick that I've learned on this board a while back. In order to loosen AD2000 clamp and unbend headband it needs to be submerged into ice tray for 5-10 minutes to cool off (headband, not phones :)). Not sure what material is used there but it gets quite pliable when cold.
Out of the box the clamping force of AD2000 was quite a torture for me.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #314 of 2,205
Quote:
Some trick that I've learned on this board a while back. In order to loosen AD2000 clamp and unbend headband it needs to be submerged into ice tray for 5-10 minutes to cool off (headband, not phones :)). Not sure what material is used there but it gets quite pliable when cold.
Out of the box the clamping force of AD2000 was quite a torture for me.

Ok ^^ , out of box it was fine for me , don't know if it's because my current AD2000 is peraphs a LP and they tuned the head band a bit or my head is smaler
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back