Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Jan 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #271 of 2,205
Quote:
The wings on the ART series are rubbish compared to the Air series. The A500x and A700x I tried kept sliding down as well (I have a small head), but the AD900 I had worked perfectly. Only problem was the driver touching the ears

I think that the weight has allot to do with this. The A900x is 350g and the AD900x is 250g It was the A900x that was  at the Best Buy store.

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #272 of 2,205
Quote:
yepp can anyone compare ad900x with hd598 and hd650 ? or cd900st if possible

want to know what to pick for female vocal asia music

I have this recording:
http://www.marecordings.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=158

M085A_LRG.jpg

I find that the HD598 works very well with this recording and better than my Shure 940

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #273 of 2,205
I listen to quite a lot of Japanese female vocals, and a lot of female vocals in general, and I find Audio-Technica in general is much better at this than Sennheiser 598 (but then, I don't like the 598 period. IMO, it sounds like a cheap headphone).

I've not heard the ad900x, but I know for certain I wouldn't pick 598.

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #274 of 2,205
Quote:

I've had both the HD595 (similar to HD598 I believe) and M50 and the AD900x has much more in common with my HD800s than those - I think you'll be happy with them.  I could see how some might consider them bright but sonically I don't hear any major flaws and they are quite engaging.  I seriously think they sound better than the w3000anv and w1000x  Downsides are a slightly cheap build quality and a cheap cable (plus the 1/4" adapter does not screw on which is annoying).  

Drew

Thanks for the reply drews, so their brightness nearly rivals HD800 
blink.gif
 ? Will it prone to sibilance and fatigue then ?
Btw, is the headband made out of plastic or metal ? It looks seriously fragile to me, only 2 thin frames...

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #275 of 2,205
I don't think they are bright. They do sound on the cooler side of neutral on open box but with more burn in/ use, not only do they open up but they smooth out tremendously.  My pair has a touch of warmth in the mids. No sibilance. The highs are so well controlled. It is a vast improvement over the AD700 in the highs. They are very detailed sounding cans but I can listen to them for hours without any type of fatigue at all. No harshness or sharpness, impeccably balanced and definitely not an overly bright can.

And I can confirm. Female vocals on these cans are the best I have.

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #276 of 2,205
Quote:
blink.gif
Btw, is the headband made out of plastic or metal ? It looks seriously fragile to me, only 2 thin frames...

I haven't noticed any sibilance, and they're not fatiguing so far (using an Audiolab M-DAC+Violectric V200), though I would say yes they are brighter than the HD800s to my ears (though not bass-shy at all).  I'm also a big fan of the Sony SA5000 so I'm definitely not into dark sounding headphones.  The headband wires are plastic-over-metal and the headrests feel pretty fragile and a bit less solid than the w1000x.

Drew

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #277 of 2,205
Quote:
They don't seem to be angled on my pair of AD2K either, slightly off center yes, but not angled to naked eye. On W5000 on the other hand they definitely are, which is probably why it can run circles around AD2K when it comes to imaging and soundstage.

My AD1000PRM has angled driver, but it's hard to see with the pad cover them. I need to remove the pad first to see it clearly.

I think AD2000 and AD1000PRM has the same housing, so the AD2K should be has this angled design.

It's just make me sure that the AD2000X also has the same angled design.

I  I seriously think they sound better than the w3000anv and w1000x  Downsides are a slightly cheap build quality and a cheap cable (plus the 1/4" adapter does not screw on which is annoying).  

Drew

Wow, what make you think they're better than both of that woodies?

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #278 of 2,205
Quote:
I ordered my AD900X on the 27th and just received them today. I'll go ahead and say that the AD900X would definitely be a huge upgrade over the M50 simply by being open-backed, but also because of the amazing SQ improvement over the AD700. Been listening for about half an hour now and absolutely in love. I can't wait to hear the difference in sound after these have been burned in.

The comfort and fit are really nice. Tighter clamp than the AD700, but not too much. The pads are excellent as well. I'm glad I got the AD900X instead of the AD900 because I was concerned about the discomfort that many people had with the flat drivers and thin earpads. Not so with the AD900X, you just pop them on and they fit really well around your ears. I'm a bit disappointed that the quality of the cord isn't as good as the AD700's and that the connected isn't metal screw-on, but these aren't deal breaking in any way to me.

Hey there. Was there any problems with u shipping it from Amazon Japan (and from Tenso.com)? I'm looking for the same option to ship it to my country, looks like a waaayyy cheaper options to get my hands on the AD900X than to get it locally. Plus, I can chip in a few PC items in there as well :p. So yeah wanted to know are their service(s) very much reliable?

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #280 of 2,205
Quote:

Hey there. Was there any problems with u shipping it from Amazon Japan (and from Tenso.com)? I'm looking for the same option to ship it to my country, looks like a waaayyy cheaper options to get my hands on the AD900X than to get it locally. Plus, I can chip in a few PC items in there as well :p. So yeah wanted to know are their service(s) very much reliable?

I had no problems at all with Amazon JP and Tenso :]

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #281 of 2,205
Quote:
blink.gif

Build quality is no less than the ad900 I owned for 2 years, and just sold in perfect condition. After using the ad900x the only thing thing that is slightly fatiguing for me is the bass, at least when I take them off I can 'feel' it... lol. Definitely not bass light, that's for sure. Headband is far from fragile, it's metal with a plastic shell, you aren't going to damage that.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #282 of 2,205
Ya  but they aren't bass heavy either. I think AT did a masterful job with the bass end on these. I am sure compared to the older AD900 or at least my AD700 where there is no bass. I welcome the fact that these have a very quality bass end to them, a complete sound and makes them stand out to me and is one of the factors why I enjoy them so much.

I suppose it is more a matter of taste in the sound but nothing throws a wrench in the sound for me more than when one part of the spectrum is too light while another part is over emphasized. A new term that has been brought out on the FXZ thread but I am a totalhead. I demand a total sound now a days. Not too much to ask from your headphones to have a complete and total sound. A headphone that truly excels in my book will have a complete and total sound and these AD900X does just that. Something that seems to be much easier said than done on so many headphones.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #284 of 2,205
I wouldn't say laid back. It isn't overly forward or anywhere near recessed either. Just right imo. Forward sounding mids have a more difficult time with imagery than laid back mids. But Laid back mids lack the intimacy in the vocals and instruments. These get it just right imo.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #285 of 2,205
The frame of most, if not all AT cans is thicker at the back than the front. When the pads are put on, the result is that the pads are angled slightly. You can see the thick part in the photo below, getting thinner towards the top. The frames are powder coated metal as far as I know. Not sure on the cheaper cans though.

This is correct. The AD2000 and AD2000X drivers themselves are not angled. The only angle comes from the back being more thick

On the other hand, my W5000 has true angled drivers. Along with that same extra thickness on the back of the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back