Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Jan 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #257 of 2,205
Seems like my input is not showing. I was saying, The drivers on AD2K most definitely are angled. Do check again.

I don't see it. There is some extra thickness on one side of the headphones for a slight angle, but I don't see them as angled drivers like the HD800, T1, etc. could be wrong. The drivers look pretty symmetrical to me.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #259 of 2,205
I tried the A900X at best buy but the wings did not prevent the headphones from sliding too far down on my ears even though I have a rather higher hat size.  The AKG 240 that I had 35 years ago had better adjustment than the "wings" and hold the position better.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #260 of 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Strange. It's quite apparantly visible thru the mesh screen, As your pic of the AD2Kx demonstrates clearly:

As is also clearly evident of the AD2K's extremly focused and precise imaging, Some of the best i've heard thru a dynamic pair. 

They don't seem to be angled on my pair of AD2K either, slightly off center yes, but not angled to naked eye. On W5000 on the other hand they definitely are, which is probably why it can run circles around AD2K when it comes to imaging and soundstage.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #261 of 2,205
I got to listen to the AD900X the other day as a friend ordered them from Japan. I've owned the A900X for a little while, to my ears I didn't really notice a big improvement like is being claimed. Should mentioned that the AD900X were of course lacking burn in as they were still new. 

The mids and highs were a bit more "airy" then the A900X and the sound stage was wider, I think this should be a given comparing open to closed headphones though. I definitely felt like my A900X had better bass extension and punch, again something I would expect for open vs closed in most cases.

The AD900X sounded awesome in the short time I heard them, and I was thinking of picking one up. But after comparing them with the A900X I already own it just feels like a case of "do you prefer open or closed cans?"

Should also be mentioned I was listening to them both through my Fiio E17. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #262 of 2,205

Quote:
They don't seem to be angled on my pair of AD2K either, slightly off center yes, but not angled to naked eye. On W5000 on the other hand they definitely are, which is probably why it can run circles around AD2K when it comes to imaging and soundstage.x

Very angled looking to me... Perhaps the AD2Kx have a more pronounced angle, Hard to tell from pics tbh. 

AD2Ks bested the W5Ks in imaging precision to my ears, But i never owned both at the same time. Defintely not as spacious sounding. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #263 of 2,205
Don't seam angled 's the angle from where is shoot the picture , that give this impression i guess .

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #264 of 2,205
The frame of most, if not all AT cans is thicker at the back than the front. When the pads are put on, the result is that the pads are angled slightly. You can see the thick part in the photo below, getting thinner towards the top. The frames are powder coated metal as far as I know. Not sure on the cheaper cans though.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #265 of 2,205
Quote:
AD2Ks bested the W5Ks in imaging precision to my ears, But i never owned both at the same time. Defintely not as spacious sounding.

Not even close, listening to both right now, it's like stepping out of chamber into big concert hall. AD2K has much more intimate and close soundstage, works pretty well for fast metal, of course details are steps or two down from W5000 and bass less textured.

Quote:
The frame of most, if not all AT cans is thicker at the back than the front. When the pads are put on, the result is that the pads are angled slightly. You can see the thick part in the photo below, getting thinner towards the top. The frames are powder coated metal as far as I know. Not sure on the cheaper cans though.

That and W5000 has truly angled drivers, not sure about others ATH woodies.

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #266 of 2,205
Quote:
Not even close, listening to both right now, it's like stepping out of chamber into big concert hall. AD2K has much more intimate and close soundstage, works pretty well for fast metal, of course details are steps or two down from W5000 and bass less textured.

But what did i say exactly? Please read again what you quoted me for. :)

Currawong is right of course about the frame tilt, but there's a difference in the angle the driver is mounted as well. The AD2K has a more pronounced angle than i.e AD900.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #267 of 2,205
Quote:
I tried the A700x at best buy but the wings did not prevent the headphones from sliding too far down on my ears even though I have a rather higher hat size.  The AKG 240 that I had 35 years ago had better adjustment than the "wings" and hold the position better.

The wings on the ART series are rubbish compared to the Air series. The A500x and A700x I tried kept sliding down as well (I have a small head), but the AD900 I had worked perfectly. Only problem was the driver touching the ears

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #268 of 2,205
Can anyone compare HD598 vs AD900x, i'm going to order one of these two soon.
I'm owning a M50 right now and I like ATH sound signature alot. But after trying the HD598, I was also captivated by their midrange and huge soundstage, the treble is not as good as M50 though...Bass on HD598 is also enough for my liking.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #270 of 2,205
Quote:
Can anyone compare HD598 vs AD900x, i'm going to order one of these two soon.
I'm owning a M50 right now and I like ATH sound signature alot. But after trying the HD598, I was also captivated by their midrange and huge soundstage, the treble is not as good as M50 though...Bass on HD598 is also enough for my liking.

I've had both the HD595 (similar to HD598 I believe) and M50 and the AD900x has much more in common with my HD800s than those - I think you'll be happy with them.  I could see how some might consider them bright but sonically I don't hear any major flaws and they are quite engaging.  I seriously think they sound better than the w3000anv and w1000x  Downsides are a slightly cheap build quality and a cheap cable (plus the 1/4" adapter does not screw on which is annoying).  

Drew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back