Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Feb 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #467 of 2,205
Quote:
Quote:
I think that when they are released in the US, they will be more expensive than a simple conversion from Japanese money to USD.

The only thing I'm concerned about (potentially) is warranty and the like... Seems like it'd be pricey to ship it back to Japan for that if required? But I assume you're right - it'll be $300 for a few weeks at least (while they clear out AD900 stock) before maybe dropping down to ~$250 or so, I figure. Dern this waiting.

Audio Technica US showcased the new x series at CES this past month in Las Vegas, so I think their customer service would be perfectly fine here. From my dealings with them, they're pretty nice, so if any problems arised, I'm sure they could take care of them. Just shoot them an email.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #468 of 2,205
Quote:

I think that when they are released in the US, they will be more expensive than a simple conversion from Japanese money to USD.

And, as a new product, the price will stay close to the manufacturer's suggested retail.

Eventually they will be found on Amazon for the usual 20-30% off or perhaps more.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #469 of 2,205
I would LMAO if the AD500X.. Secret super can no one wants to buy cus everyone thinks it is the low end.  Anyone want to take one for the team? I bet the AD700X is a really nice sounding can as well. You never know.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #470 of 2,205
Too late, but I kinda wish now that I'd gone to CES to audition the 500x and 700x. I might've even been able to bring my 900x along and do some a/b comparisons, but I guess the only option now is to bite the bullet and pull the trigger on them :p

Going off of Amazon.jp, the 500x is ~$94 and the 700x is ~$137. The reviews for the 500x (messily translated from Japanese) talk about the good soundstage, nice instrument separation, and near flat FR. Some complaints about the earpads being stiff, though, and possibly switching them out with the AD500 or AD1000 pads. The only review for the AD700x talked mostly about comfort issues with the wing system, the cans slipping around while turning one's head, and "degraded comfort". Makes me curious how the build quality might have been different if the new X series had been manufactured in Japan like the originals instead of China. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #471 of 2,205
Quote:
I would LMAO if the AD500X.. Secret super can no one wants to buy cus everyone thinks it is the low end.  Anyone want to take one for the team? I bet the AD700X is a really nice sounding can as well. You never know.

Words of wisdom. Well put. 

Edit:
Quote:
Too late, but I kinda wish now that I'd gone to CES to audition the 500x and 700x. I might've even been able to bring my 900x along and do some a/b comparisons, but I guess the only option now is to bite the bullet and pull the trigger on them :p

Going off of Amazon.jp, the 500x is ~$94 and the 700x is ~$137. The reviews for the 500x (messily translated from Japanese) talk about the good soundstage, nice instrument separation, and near flat FR. Some complaints about the earpads being stiff, though, and possibly switching them out with the AD500 or AD1000 pads. The only review for the AD700x talked mostly about comfort issues with the wing system, the cans slipping around while turning one's head, and "degraded comfort". Makes me curious how the build quality might have been different if the new X series had been manufactured in Japan like the originals instead of China. 

rolleyes.gif
 counterfeits...

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #473 of 2,205
Quote:

The only thing I'm concerned about (potentially) is warranty and the like... Seems like it'd be pricey to ship it back to Japan for that if required? But I assume you're right - it'll be $300 for a few weeks at least (while they clear out AD900 stock) before maybe dropping down to ~$250 or so, I figure.Dern this waiting.

AFAIK the AT warranty is international. You can get your cans serviced in any country with an AT service team (including at least the UK, US, and Japan), regardless of where you bought them.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #474 of 2,205
Quote:
AFAIK the AT warranty is international. You can get your cans serviced in any country with an AT service team (including at least the UK, US, and Japan), regardless of where you bought them.

There's an AT service team in the UK? Damn, I should read the warranty. Seems odd to me that they have a service team but not a proper distributor network though.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #475 of 2,205
Quote:
There's an AT service team in the UK? Damn, I should read the warranty. Seems odd to me that they have a service team but not a proper distributor network though.

Service is carried out by Audio Technica Europe (the exclusive European distributor...), replies are a bit slow, I think the UK service "team" is 1 or 2 guys.

http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/support/service/
http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/contact/

Edit,
Seems I was wrong, on international warranty (I must have been lucky with my repair!):

or product purchased outside of the countries managed by Audio-Technica Europe such as North America, Japan and Asia will not be covered by Audio-Technica Europe’s 2 year warranty.  In the first instance, customers should contact the dealer or local distributor within the country the product was purchased.

http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/support/warranty/

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #476 of 2,205
Well, if man says K702 are bright or cold, you dont drive them with matched system and dont listen to a good quality records.

Personally, I would give AD2000X a good run, say 200 hours at least, before any judgement, even some dont believe in it, thats fine with me, cos I trust my ears only and they dont believe in fairy tale either.

THX

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #478 of 2,205
Quote:

Just wanted to give an "official" update I got after contacting ATUS by email, where I asked:
1. when they would be officially available in the US, and
2. if I could service with ATUS if I purchased internationally:

Quote ATUS:
These are shipping now and have a two year warranty. If you buy from a non US dealer you will need to have them serviced through that dealer or pay for the service through ATUS. I am unsure which dealers handle this model currently.

While this hopefully won't really become relevant for anyone, technically it appears warranty is "local," not international... But they're shipping already in the US (from unknown, mystery dealers)... so I guess that part's good news?

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #479 of 2,205
Well, I just placed on order for the AD2000X on PriceJapan.  I'll post some impressions and comparisons with my K702 65th Anniversary when they arrrive.  

I was going back and forth between getting them or the HE-500 but chose the AD2000X in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back