Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Jun 19, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #2,056 of 2,205
I'm liking the Audeze vegan microsuede pads with my AD1000x. Ungodly comfortable. I'm tempted to try the leather pads to see if it gives me a bump in the lower bass.

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #2,058 of 2,205
  How do those pads effect the sound compared to the stock pads?

I didn't do a bunch of back and forth but I didn't feel there was a massive change in tonal balance but the extra spacing from ear to driver made the sound more spacious in general. It also helps lots that I'm using a Little Dot 1+ with Sparko op amp and RTC 5654RT (rebranded Mullard M8100 for French Military) tubes. I feel like I'm near the maximum potential of these headphones. I think I would need a much more expensive tube amp and dac for better sound. These pads do come off easily as they are a bit loose. I might run some tape around the outside at some point to keep them on better. I want to try some Audeze leather pads first.

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #2,059 of 2,205
Hello, everyone.

I just subscribed this thread and started reading previous posts... I just got slightly used pair of ATH-AD2000x and started listening with it. What I immediately noticed are after listening 30 minutes..

[1] I really wish the cable is short and removable. Even though it is not tangling, 10' cable is too long for me since I listen music MBA>Meridian Explorer or Shozy Alien. 

[2] This can requires quite a bit of power (40ohm) than I expected. I expected to drive this with low to med level of volume but this can requires similar power as my Ety ER4S (100ohm) to achieve same volume level.

[3] My head size is slightly larger than normal and earsize is relatively small and found that this can is quite comfortable. Wings sit on my upper sides of head tightly so does not come down and my ears are fit 95% inside ear cup (just bottom tip of ear is slightly touching the pad) and did not notice any discomfort. This can is very very light..

[4] I was expected that there is very little bass after reading several reviews but I personally found that mid & upper bass are definitely there but sub-bass is lacking. After playing with EQ a bit to increase sub & mid bass and bass is now slamming  my ear. It is not muddy but tight. Not as tight as T50RP MK3 but still Tight.

[5] Female vocal & string instrument sounds great as other reviewers told... I personally found that it sounds very similar to Ety ER4S with bigger sound stage. 

So far, very satisfied except the long non removable cable...

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #2,060 of 2,205
  Hello, everyone.

I just subscribed this thread and started reading previous posts... I just got slightly used pair of ATH-AD2000x and started listening with it. What I immediately noticed are after listening 30 minutes..

[1] I really wish the cable is short and removable. Even though it is not tangling, 10' cable is too long for me since I listen music MBA>Meridian Explorer or Shozy Alien. 

[2] This can requires quite a bit of power (40ohm) than I expected. I expected to drive this with low to med level of volume but this can requires similar power as my Ety ER4S (100ohm) to achieve same volume level.

[3] My head size is slightly larger than normal and earsize is relatively small and found that this can is quite comfortable. Wings sit on my upper sides of head tightly so does not come down and my ears are fit 95% inside ear cup (just bottom tip of ear is slightly touching the pad) and did not notice any discomfort. This can is very very light..

[4] I was expected that there is very little bass after reading several reviews but I personally found that mid & upper bass are definitely there but sub-bass is lacking. After playing with EQ a bit to increase sub & mid bass and bass is now slamming  my ear. It is not muddy but tight. Not as tight as T50RP MK3 but still Tight.

[5] Female vocal & string instrument sounds great as other reviewers told... I personally found that it sounds very similar to Ety ER4S with bigger sound stage. 

Thanks for posting your impressions. How do you find the highs relative to the mid-range?

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #2,061 of 2,205
  Hello, everyone.

Nice impression but that part about the AD2000X is hard to drive is very strange indeed. 

Anyway I'd like to point out that impedance alone does not decide whether a pair of headphones is hard to drive or not. You will also have to think of sensitivity (and more accurately, efficiency). 

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #2,063 of 2,205
  Hello, everyone.

I now listened over 10 hours and I made a few mistakes on my 1st impression hence correction.

Comfort: I found that wing system works very good for me. It sits on top sides of my head nicely and not coming down. However, earpad is not comfortable as I initially thought. Top of my ear tips pressed inside earpad and after a couple of hours, I needed to take it off for a brief rest. 

+++Has anyone tried Denon pleather pad? I noticed that outer earpad size is exactly same but inner earpad is oval shape so it would fit better. However I am not sure how it change the sound signature.+++

Power: This is my mistake. I noticed that my system volume control was set low so even if I changed the volume to high on music player, it sounded low volume. I now corrected setting and I can even hear ample volume with low volume setting. 45% on Macbook air without external amplifier is max that I can listen to.

Thanks for posting your impressions. How do you find the highs relative to the mid-range?

I personally found that highs are neutral. Not colored or rolled off as some of reviewers said but neutral and smooth.

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #2,064 of 2,205
Just changed to HM5 Velour pad and comfort has improved immensely. Soundstage got slightly bigger and bass has become slightly heavier (tad bit more weight to it) but very minor and hard to notice unless A/B test back and forth. Since the ear got slightly farther from speaker, need to increase the volume just tad bit more. Besides that, it did not change the sound sig but comfort improved a lot. Happy with this earpad change.

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #2,067 of 2,205
  It seems like the left side of my AD1000x is very slightly quieter than the right side since a few days... Anybody know how that became and how I can fix it?

could be the pads on one side are not as stiff and therefore the distance to the ear could be different causing an imbalance.  that happened to my Grado GS1000.  Replacing the pads fixed the issue.  Try switching the pads around.  Does the imbalance move?  if so then just replace the pads.

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #2,068 of 2,205

could be the pads on one side are not as stiff and therefore the distance to the ear could be different causing an imbalance.  that happened to my Grado GS1000.  Replacing the pads fixed the issue.  Try switching the pads around.  Does the imbalance move?  if so then just replace the pads.

Yeah it was the pads on the left side of my ear being more distant than the right side... The headphones are not defect.

These are AMAZING headphones, they're very underlooked here on head-fi.

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #2,069 of 2,205
  Yeah it was the pads on the left side of my ear being more distant than the right side... The headphones are not defect.

These are AMAZING headphones, they're very underlooked here on head-fi.

overlooked :)

I just sold mine, wasn't reaching for them much with HD800S and TH-X00 now. Comfort was always a bit of an issue (driver touching ear, itchy pads) and I didn't like the way different pads changed the sound. I do enjoy the sound/flavour though.

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #2,070 of 2,205

overlooked :)

I just sold mine, wasn't reaching for them much with HD800S and TH-X00 now. Comfort was always a bit of an issue (driver touching ear, itchy pads) and I didn't like the way different pads changed the sound. I do enjoy the sound/flavour though.

I probably wouldn't listen to them as much either if I could afford an HD800S :p They are good but not that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back