Audio-Technica updates CKR series: ATH-CKR100, ATH-CKR90, ATH-CKR70
Nov 17, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #106 of 238
No, I didn't as I was in a rush. Don't you have a FitEar already? Hahaha. I'm thinking whether to stay with IEMs or go for headphones. Generally which gives a better sound-to-price ratio?

Haha, I'm always on the lookout for new IEMs. :D

In my experience, IEMs will usually give a better sound-to-price ratio. Some really good IEMs can be found in the $300-$500 range (Dunu, FLC, Fidue, etc) while for headphones you need to go much higher in price to match the performance.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #107 of 238
Still curious about E40 SQ.. local Jaben just doesn't seem to intend on bringing it in..
I'd argue the best format for Price : Performance ratio is in Earbuds.. Who can beat VE Monk+ for <$10 other than different brand earbud?

May 7, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #110 of 238
I see the CKR90iS is coming in stock this month in the US($189 price). I saw May 15th and May 25 dates. Hopefully we can get more info. Surprising, after how popular the CKR9 was, that we still don't have a solid view about how the CKR90 really sounds. I have read that both new models are bright and need quite a bit a play till they calm down. Of course tip softening, fit practice, and getting acclimated to the brightness is part of it and burn in may also help some. Not enough long term use views of them for sure.

CKR100iS is more than twice the listed price of the 90iS. For what, I don't know really. Seems the same type of drivers and cable. Titanium housing vs. Aluminum should not account for $200 in SQ or price. Not sure what the deal is there. Again, perhaps we find out more now.

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #112 of 238
In the US, why buy from those ebay sellers? Full warranty, all the accessories and packaging, quicker to be delivered, and better resale value for an extra $55 or $60 is worth the cost. Plus you don't know the story behind them. Seems too early for fakes so they may be rejects of some kind and you can't trust they are as good as new.

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #113 of 238
I have sampled the CKR100.
I sadly did not get a chance to compare with the CKR90.

That said, as I have had the previous model, CKR 9 LTD and had extensive listening with the CKR 10, I feel I could give some thoughts of the new model.

Ergonomics:
The CKR100 is very easy to be placed in your ears unlike the previous model, CKR 9 LTD/10. It also feels like a legitimate 'premium' top class earphone when putting it in the ears.
In other words, it's comfortable.
This is so much of an upgrade from the original CKR9 LTD/10 series in which honestly, the ergonomics was horrible.

Size:
At first it looks pretty damn long. However, after seeing how well it fits in my ears, I guess this should not matter.

Sound:
This was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. Maybe this is why the new CKR series did not get as much rave in Head-Fi. Who knows.
The sound in comparison to the CKR9 Ltd... has not really changed much.
1. The bass is sharper on the CKR 100. Yay! But,... can't I just up the volume also in my previous model and get a similar effect?
2. The sound feels far more 'open' overall.
However, I felt overall it was more of a sidegrade in comparison to the old models CKR9 LTD/10 than an upgrade. The clarity was about similar and overall, I felt there weren't any noticeable improvements if any.
I felt that the pricing was mostly for the 'detachable' cables and the ergonomics and not really in improvements of the sound.
But I would add that it certainly feels like a 'premium' earphone unlike the original CKR series.

With all honestly, if you already own the previous CKR model (9 ltd/10), I just don't see the reasoning behind purchasing for the new CKR series as the sound is more or less very similar.
In fact, if you switch the CKR9 LTD earplug with something like a double or triple flange, the 'openness' sound is more or less the exact same to that of the CKR100 (surprising, right?).

So ya, I was disappointed with the new models.
That said, what did surprise me during the testing was the ATH LS200. While I felt the CKR series were better overall in sound quality, the strength of the bass in an 'armature' in the LS200 was unexpected. Though I have very limited experience with armatures, I must say that if I hadn't been told the LS200 was an armature, I would have expected it was a dynamic driver. In addition, the comfort was amazing like the new CKR series. This was a bit of a shock considering I really dislike over the ear types since most of those types ends up getting tangled up with my glasses.

However, at least in my opinion, if you already have the original CKR series, I just don't see the need for the new models. Unless you REALLY want better ergonomics, the extra cash could be saved. The new CKR100 feels more of the CKR9 Ltd sound repackaged into a better ergonomics earphone (and not much more to be quite frank).
If you are sold into detachable cables though, I would add it is still a great earphone. I don't know how it compares to the LS300 and LS400 but it still surely nice.

---Added---
Also do note that from this tier of IEMs, the sound quality is all top notch. I would compare the CKR100 favorably against IEMs like the Shure SE846 so while the CKR100 is not much of an improvement (I feel) from the CKR9 LTD/10, you also have to note that you are now getting closer to the edge of top universal IEM sounds. While the costs may leap a lot from here, the sound difference is very miniscule in the universal IEM world (or at least from the ones I tested).
<Honestly, I like the ergonomics of CKR100 far more than the SE846 anyways>
I still believe though that around 500, the CKR100 would probably be the best sounding of them all. After all, when the CKR9 LTD/10 was released, some listener in a site did post it as a favorite (the CKR10) as the 'best' IEM under 500. So ya, as of sound quality on all these high ends, it's top notch. I know my review seemed disappointed but I was also factoring in the cost. It is still a top class IEM. It's just that after a certain threshold, the sound improvements are not as noticeable at the top end of universals.

I have also checked other people's thoughts on the CKR90/100 series. Apparently, I am not alone on my opinion.
https://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=forum_etc2_1&no=153563
This person preferred the CKR9 (regular) to the 90 and 100. And in the thread, another listener agreed with him on that thought.
https://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=forum_etc2_1&no=151527
This person preferred the CKR90 to the CKR100 even though the price of the CKR100 was twice of CKR90.
http://blog.naver.com/ekdydehwlq/220965707006
This person preferred the CKR9 (regular) to the CKR90.
What these posts seem to imply is that just as I believe, the new models are more of a side grade in sound than upgrade. However, the new models are indeed detachables AND for once look/feel premium. It is honestly the most beautiful IEM i have seen without contest.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #114 of 238
^If that's true I think that's fine, an ergonomic & functional upgrade is good enough for an update.
People here sometimes value sound as paramount that they forget the other aspect of using headphone for music: how comfortable it is. Also: detachable brings variety: cable texture, mic/ no, length, even possibility for cordless in the future

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #115 of 238
Not so hot if they want $400 for the CKR100 and it really isn't an improvement. I saw a review rating the Elecom SH1000 above the CKR10 in most categories and it has the more universal MMCX and is $250 or less.

CKR90iS is decent and has some promise since it is $189 and can be bought for 10% off so $170. We see they left off the better Quad channel cable off the 90 only giving it to the 100. A bit more off and a better cable for around $220 and the lower version may again be more popular than the highest one even if it may perform a smidge better with at least equal cables.

At needs to try harder vs. both the other Japanese and some Chinese competition. Stop with the CKRM55 eartips already since they are not that good and there is no way that every model should have them both because they are not as good(Sony, Elecom, JVC all have better tips) and they are just thrown in and they should at least try some others and do some R&D testing to see if they work well. No way they make all different powered phones like armature, dual symphonic, or dual phase sound their best. Throwing in the same tips with every different model and not upgrading in forever and using downgrades off the top model for a lower model shows me AT isn't working as hard as they could to make the best stuff. E series and larger LS' don't have the best designs as far as comfortable fit outside of bigger ears as well. At least the CKR90/100 are better in that respect.

So, a bit interested in the CKR90 but will wait till $150 or even less. I am convinced they made the stage bigger which is nice and the fit is more traditional and being able to change the cable is nice(though $20 extra for the AT connectors). But I'm just not diggin' the CKR100 at $400 in today's market.

Jun 10, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #116 of 238
Maybe they do overcharge for it in that regard, but I'm one that's also prone to pay a bit more for better, more solid&premium feeling build so maybe our priorities doesn't align. Do agree that they need to up their game in eartips tho.

Jun 10, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #117 of 238
For example, My Elecom CH1010 is worth $70 and has a cable as good as the CKR's and all brass housings with beautiful build. The new CKR are no better for $200 and $400 on the premium feel. The CKR9 was no better in build. Worse tips, a better case, and a bit better packaging. The $400 CKR100 have a decent case don't have things other $400 earphones have just 4 pairs of the same tips and case. My ATH-E40 had removable cable, that same case and tips plus Comply and a 6.3mm adapter and were under $100. The CKS1100 did come with hybrid tips, leather style case, and the quad cable for $200. CKR90 is supposed to be part of the better range being the Sound Reality line yet has a lower case, lower cable, and the same crappy tips as I have had on a dozen AT earphones.

Not even Sony hybrids or JVC's cache with the wooden drivers, take Elecom's top dynamic has dual dynamic axial same phase driver system, looks and build plus the better case, cord winder, and extra mic cable for less. Front part of the housing is metal not ABS like the AT.
ec13_0.jpg

2.jpg

I don't see getting more for paying more. I just see paying more in the case of the CKR100. Build and feel isn't any more premium than some cheaper models and the accessory pack lacking. Has to be part of why these haven't taken off. People like the extras. I don't need 14 pairs of tuning filters and 3 cables and metal tip holders but more than what the100 offers as a top of the range model. People also go for the hybrid is better thing and the wooden drivers as getting something more special for their $$.

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #118 of 238
So you really on the opinion that this one is a real flop huh? I really have to stop talking and reserve my opinion when I manage to try them now, your comment discourgae me on buying it, but i'm still curious about how it actually perform on my source and my music, thanks for the convo anyway :)

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #119 of 238
Not a flop at all. Just not a good job to excite people with yet more, the 5th and 6th, dual phase driver models. I was thinking about maybe taking a flyer on a CKR90iS here at the right price. Just saying if one person says the CKR100 is a slight improvement over the CKR10. A review I read said the Elecom beat the CKR10 in most categories then what is the extra $125 for if they are on a similar level cause you get less. Then when a model like the CKS1100(which I owned) has stuff that they take away from with the CKR90, it isn't cool.

Just speculative explaining why these seem to be behind the LS' and other brands models in popularity and not trying to discourage anyone as I am interested in the 90iS possibly and have posted in here quite a bit. But I also have not been too excited to pull the trigger.

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #120 of 238
Aah.. Lack of innovation is it? True that big change are mostly happening in AT's over ear loop design IEM lately..
Maybe IM series is more succesful in sales than we thought?
Maybe AT's experiencing a problem in their development of dual push-pull transducer design? Well who knows what they have lurking in their lab, for now they seem to think update in ergonomic & overall ease of use is enough for the line, that and their brand name to make sales, are they wrong? In this forum, maybe.
Are they losing money releasing this model?
Who knows, it's not like everyone do such long research like us do before purchasing, and hey, brand name matters, they have known reputation and wider distribution solidly built.
Now lets just hope their next attempt on the design changes things up much more then how it is right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back