Audio-Technica updates CKR series: ATH-CKR100, ATH-CKR90, ATH-CKR70
Jun 1, 2016 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 238

yellowbirdfly

Previously known as lalala6
Audio-Technica announced new IEMs in the CKR series: the ATH-CKR100, ATH-CKR90 and ATH-CKR70.

ATH-CKR100

Description (via Google Translate):
Pure iron yoke adoption of "DUAL PHASE PUSH-PULL DRIVERS" mounting truth of sound to enjoy a high-rigidity titanium housing with superior acoustic characteristics.

1. High-resolution playback draw by efficiently φ13mm driver × 2 of adoption pure iron yoke which transmits the magnetic the hi-res sound source to perfection.
  2. Reproduce the high response and fidelity sound in aluminum stabilizer to improve the straight back and forth motion.
  3. Thoroughly eliminate unnecessary resonance by a high-rigidity titanium housing of excellent acoustic properties.
  4. Achieve a low signal transmission of noise in the L / Rch independent star quad stranded wire.
  5. Detachable adopted connector (A2DC) of excellent audio-only design to tolerance and maintenance of the noise.

Specifications:
TypeDynamic
Driver13mm × 2
Sensitivity110dB / mW
Frequency Response5 ~ 45,000Hz
Maximum Input Power200mW
Impedance12Ω
Weight (excluding cable)About 14g
ConnectorA2DC connector jack
Plug3.5mm gold-plated stereo mini (L-type)

ATH-CKR90

CKR90 dedicated different caliber "DUAL PHASE PUSH-PULL DRIVERS" equipped with a pure color the sound of that taste in precision machined aluminum housing to reduce unwanted resonance.

1. Improve the acoustic characteristics by suppressing unwanted resonance by a precision machined aluminum housing.
  2. Hi-Res sound source to improve the high-frequency characteristics in a different caliber driver of φ13mm + φ10.4mm also a high-resolution reproduction of the margin.
  3. Reproduce the high response and fidelity sound in aluminum stabilizer to improve the front and rear linear motion of the diaphragm.
  4. Detachable adopted connector (A2DC) of excellent audio-only design to tolerance and maintenance of the noise.

Specifications:
TypeDynamic
Driver13mm, 10.4mm
Sensitivity109dB / mW
Frequency Response5 ~ 42,000Hz
Maximum Input Power200mW
Impedance12Ω
Weight (excluding cable)About 11g
ConnectorA2DC connector jack

ATH-CKR70

High efficiency φ11.8mm equipped with a driver sophisticated sound of where you can enjoy in the clear until the hi-res sound source with fine design.

1. Equipped with a φ11.8mm drivers in pursuit of the best balance of the mounting and sound.
  2. Achieve a high response to suppress the unwanted resonance by the lightweight and strong aluminum housing.
  3. Micron order * realized before and after the linear movement of high-precision vibration plate in the new design driver by a high-resolution playback to high-resolution sound source.
  4. Both comfortable wearability and high seal sense of new drivers in the new design body to full drive.

Specifications:
TypeDynamic
Driver11.8mm
Sensitivity108dB / mW
Frequency Response5 ~ 40,000Hz
Maximum Input Power200mW
Impedance19Ω
Weight (excluding cable)About 8g
Cable1.2m (Y type)

All three models have been released in Japan. No word on global availability yet, but imported sets should start appearing on Amazon and Ebay soon.

Useful links:

ATH-CKR100 product page (Japanese)
ATH-CKR90 product page (Japanese)
ATH-CKR70 product page (Japanese)

ATH-CKR100 review (Japanese)
ATH-CKR90 review (Japanese)
ATH-CKR100/90/70 AVWatch review (Japanese)

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 238
Can't wait to give these a go. The CKR line of iems are some of the best iems I've heard and getting a detachable cable with a more conventional design is a welcome change. Eagerly waiting to see what tweaks they made to the dual phase push pull technology. It's some of the best bass response I've heard in an iem.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 238
Sub'd!

I'm skeptical about the CKR90, wondering why did they use different sizes on each driver. Since it's a push pull design they depend on one another and different sizes could alter the balance between them. Maybe it's exactly what they want, i don't know, but i'm curious. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 238
Sub'd!

I'm skeptical about the CKR90, wondering why did they use different sizes on each driver. Since it's a push pull design they depend on one another and different sizes could alter the balance between them. Maybe it's exactly what they want, i don't know, but i'm curious. :)

Yeah, I had the same thought as well. I hope this doesn't mean they're gimping the CKR90's sound in order to make the CKR100 look better. A direct upgrade to the CKR9 sound would be great! :)

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 238
Can't wait to give these a go. The CKR line of iems are some of the best iems I've heard and getting a detachable cable with a more conventional design is a welcome change. Eagerly waiting to see what tweaks they made to the dual phase push pull technology. It's some of the best bass response I've heard in an iem.

+1

Definitely agree that the push pull technology creates some of the best bass response in an iem (as proven by the CKR9/LTD/10 and E40). I'm excited to see how AT will further improve this driver technology! :D

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 238
+1

Definitely agree that the push pull technology creates some of the best bass response in an iem (as proven by the CKR9/LTD/10 and E40). I'm excited to see how AT will further improve this driver technology!
biggrin.gif

And finally some detachable cables!

Another thing tha puzzles me is why such a low impedance?  i just don't get it. When the e40 was launched i asked myself the same. I'm a proud owner of the im50, but i must admit that a little more impedance couldn't hurt 
smily_headphones1.gif
 there must be a reason though i'm just too noob to know it. Anyway if these sound so great as the ckr9/ltd/10 do, the impedance is the least of my concerns 
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 238
And finally some detachable cables!

Another thing tha puzzles me is why such a low impedance?  i just don't get it. When the e40 was launched i asked myself the same. I'm a proud owner of the im50, but i must admit that a little more impedance couldn't hurt :)  there must be a reason though i'm just too noob to know it. Anyway if these sound so great as the ckr9/ltd/10 do, the impedance is the least of my concerns :p

Probably because the drivers are efficient and don't need that much power to sound good. Raising the impedance would needlessly decrease the sensitivity, limiting the number of sources you can use with it. Just a guess...

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 238
Probably because the drivers are efficient and don't need that much power to sound good. Raising the impedance would needlessly decrease the sensitivity, limiting the number of sources you can use with it. Just a guess...

Yes but won't lowering the impedance also limit the number of sources because of the background noise? This way we have to use a source that as a low output impedance as well.

What i heard, and correct me if I'm wrong :p, is that we should use the 1/8th rule (the output impedance of the player should be less than 1/8th of the iem impedance so they can sound good).

That would mean that for the ckr90 i would have to use a source with less than 1.5ohm. My fiio x1 for example has an output impedance of <2ohm.

This wouldn't be a problem for me because personally i think it's not so much of a difference but for some it can be a bother. Although it shouldn't be something that would stop you from buying these :D.
Just my two cents of course :)

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 238
Yes but won't lowering the impedance also limit the number of sources because of the background noise? This way we have to use a source that as a low output impedance as well.

What i heard, and correct me if I'm wrong
tongue.gif
, is that we should use the 1/8th rule (the output impedance of the player should be less than 1/8th of the iem impedance so they can sound good).

That would mean that for the ckr90 i would have to use a source with less than 1.5ohm. My fiio x1 for example has an output impedance of <2ohm.

This wouldn't be a problem for me because personally i think it's not so much of a difference but for some it can be a bother. Although it shouldn't be something that would stop you from buying these
biggrin.gif
Just my two cents of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, considering that most respectable DAPs nowadays have output impedance of <1 ohms and low noisefloor, I'd say there's nothing to worry about. And since they are dynamic drivers, the impedance swing won't be as bad as BA drivers so a little higher output impedance shouldn't have much of an effect on the sound. My CKR9LTD with an impedance of 12 ohms sounded wonderful with the Fiio X1, too. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #11 of 238
  Well, considering that most respectable DAPs nowadays have output impedance of <1 ohms and low noisefloor, I'd say there's nothing to worry about. And since they are dynamic drivers, the impedance swing won't be as bad as BA drivers so a little higher output impedance shouldn't have much of an effect on the sound. My CKR9LTD with an impedance of 12 ohms sounded wonderful with the Fiio X1, too. 
biggrin.gif

Yeah you're right 
smily_headphones1.gif
 i didn't take into consideration the highly variation of impedance on BAs vs the stable one on dynamic drivers.

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 238
Looking forward for impressions on these :)

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #13 of 238
Looking forward for impressions on these
smily_headphones1.gif

+1
Too bad JPY - IDR is ****ed up 
biggrin.gif
 I hope local distributor can bring CKR100-90-70 with really competitive price (compared to JVC or Sony). But I'm sure they can, I think because the pricing of E40, E70, CKS1100, WS1100, and MSR7 are really good. Since MSR7 available in Indonesia, they can sell it with 1 JPY = almost 100 IDR, and still stable after over 1 year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back