Audio-Technica updates CKR series: ATH-CKR100, ATH-CKR90, ATH-CKR70
Jun 17, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #121 of 238
Well, I switched from the CKR10 to the CKR100 a few months ago and I really enjoy the CKR100 with my Cowon Plenue D. Sound is fuller, bass is more present and clarity overall is better than the CKR10.

I would agree that the price is a bit steep (although I got mine in Japan for $240, like new, which is decent enough). I still feel like they're an upgrade from the CKR10 but not a big one. I also like the design and comfort better.

In the end, I guess YMMV as with most IEMs.

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #122 of 238
2.jpg

I don't see getting more for paying more. I just see paying more in the case of the CKR100. Build and feel isn't any more premium than some cheaper models and the accessory pack lacking. Has to be part of why these haven't taken off. People like the extras. I don't need 14 pairs of tuning filters and 3 cables and metal tip holders but more than what the100 offers as a top of the range model. People also go for the hybrid is better thing and the wooden drivers as getting something more special for their $$.

They don't look that bad in the photos, but do they protrude a lot from your ears?

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #123 of 238
I don't have them but obviously they do a decent amount. Easy to see, based on M tips usually shown, how big they are. Ears are different but a pic...
015.jpg

They aren't gonna be good for sleeping on or the best for winter hat/hoodie wear. Though not something I would really be bothered with myself. Have had some large JVC's and Radius, and the GB1000 are a good size phone as well as the CKS1100. The CKS would seem to be quite comparable in size and have nearly the same cable connection.

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #124 of 238
So, I saw that ebay had a few hour $15 off code so I grabbed some CKR90 last night. Still not sure how they really sound but some in depth searching did bring some more impressions. Seems they did improve the treble over the 9 which I hoped for and the stage is overall bigger but they are a bit meatier and seem filled in more. Varying impressions based on how they are driven or possibly the stock tips which I know can muck up the sound on certain ears.

Sound a bit warmer and more heft to the mids would be fine if so. Bigger stage is what I hoped for. The clarity is up and down based on early/store impressions but it seems to match the CKR9. More treble but more meat equals similar clarity. Possibly some crosstalk from the non-quad cable here which I still feel is possible to help up the separation and clarity on the 90.

I'll get them, burn them in, find tips that work and see what the deal really is and get down to how warm and/or thicker these really are vs. what I remember of the CKR9. I like the look of the Null Ethos cable for them if I feel they could benefit. Connectors are down from $20 extra to about $14 so it is $70 with the AT connectors. Good looks, build, and can convert to over ear and is a quad cable.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #125 of 238
do report back on your findings :)

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #126 of 238
Just go mine and was quite shocked for the first second...and very drivable units with deep bass though I do not like the bass over shadowing highs

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #127 of 238
I've had my CKR90 since Wed. afternoon. I bought the "bulk version" so, with the $15 code, they were $94.

First off, the tips that come with them are not the CKM55 but are indeed the ones that came with the CP200 and CLR100 Sport2 etc. so they are better. The sites all say replacement tip model CKM55 which are black but these are translucent gray and have better bass than the old CKM55 tips do. They do sound good with the CKR90.

They are big earphones...
upload_2017-7-8_13-13-38.png

...but they fit quite well. Better than the older CKR, the E40, or even the CKS1100 which seem to share the same front cap.

I do think they are handsome. Elegant is the word that pops into my head. The dark pewter brown-like color the machined rings, and the fine rised "AUDIO-TECHNICA" on the outer edge of the housing make them understated but very upscale in looks.

Upon using them and learning about them for the last couple of days I can see the different reports of the sound signature. Some reports of thicker sound and some reports of sharper, cleaner sound. Either thicker than the previous CKR9 or not. I have heard both based on the fit and seal. I think it comes down to the seal. They need a good tight seal or they sound on the thick side. Once you get a really good seal they get noticeably tighter, sharper, and transparent sounding. While the fit is better for me than the ones I mentioned they are still BIG and won't won't work great with all tips. I feel the JVC tips don't give a great performance here while on the CKR9 worked well being more open and not needing as much of a seal. The size combined with the short length of the JVC tips or other sort length tips makes them sound lower Res and thicker and just less resolving.

Over all I think the sound is an evolution of the CKR9. The unmatched driver size is trying to put forth a little more of a sub woofer effect on them. Works well if you have the right fit and are not underpowered. Though they are easy to drive and anything not lacking will drive them fine other than getting a bit more tightness in the lowest bass and the most size stage they can have.

You can get nearly the same CKR9 bass amount with a leaner source or the right EQ. I find the CKR90 works/agrees nicely with the Cowon BBE presets.

Other than the same "Sound Reality" as the older CKR, the 90 brings a bit more 3D to the sound over the CKR9. Things can be placed front to back on top of each other but the stage is not as tall. it is more even and round. The CKR9 was taller than wide and one may like that better or like the CKR90 even height and width with the more realistic front to back placement. Same natural sound with great resolution is there. Great detail and very sensitive pick things out easily and lets you hear them. texture is all there to. Ety have nothing on these as far as resolution yet the emotion is still there and the dual drivers can place things in front or behind each other in a way few single drivers, armature or dynamic, can.

The bass seems about equal in quality w/o the open back vent. I do not have anything other than my notes from when I had the CKR9. I'm thinking the bass does reach a bit lower but can't totally confirm that. I do hear that the emotion is conveyed a bit more across the range and they mids and treble, my issues with the CKR9, are improved nicely. Treble is more realistic, pure of tone, and free of grain. The mids/vocals are up more and more emotive and not as dry or slightly dull anymore. If you have heard the CKR9 you may have heard the bass as wonderful but the rest of the way up was just not as high a quality. I hear the CKR90 as a maturation with the more even stage and vocals and highs that are now on par with that sweet bass.

Some things are easy to hear and recognize. Some I would need a CKR9 on hand to really see. Is the bass really a little lower? and the now 42,000Hz treble go a little higher?? Those are not a noticeable to say with any certainty so I stuck with the big things.

Wasn't that thrilled in the first few hour till I learned them a bit more. Thinking I was glad I only paid $94 early on :) I am not sure these are an audition at the shop and really "get them" kind of earphone. At least it may be harder for some. Now they are more than just liking them and they are now clearly my current "flagship".

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #128 of 238
blasted.. You got a great deal on them for sure

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #129 of 238
Yeah, once I saw a new feedback from someone who has another Japan bought pair and when I went to ebay that $15 off popped up on the side took it as a sign :)

Also glad they use what they call the "fine fit earpiece" though they still call it CKM55 which is what they called the old ones forever but looking closer at the real life picture I did notice they were the newer ones so that was another plus. just didn't get the box and case. Bought a similar HZSOUND case a while back so no big loss though I had it with the E40 and it is my favorite AT case.

Still may work better with other tips and still be a bit picky with the fit as most of the CKR's previously but I can vouch for the CKR90 now, if you work with them a bit, they are an excellent earphone and worth the regular $190.

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #131 of 238
Can't really A/B them as I had the E40 several months back but CKR90 outside of microphonics wearing them down is an excellent upgrade in most ways IMO from my memory. CKR is a bit picky with tips and likes some juice a bit more than the E40 but the E40 doesn't have the extension nor the detail nor the clarity/transparency possible with the CKR90.

I'll have try something out. I did buy a Sport 3 that after comparing to the E40, I sold the E40 as I liked the memory wire and cable better and the SQ was too close to justify keeping the E40. I still have the ATH-Sport3 to compare with the 90. I'll dig it out and do so.

I know I like the 90 signature more. FWIR of the E70, CKR90 should be a bit brighter sound and have more treble/treble reach. Fairly certain it is brighter overall over the E40 but has a bit more bass than E40. More forward and lighter, cleaner mids improved over the past dual phase including the E40.

CKR90 is a bit of an odd duck though. Potential but no promises. They do like juice and may be quite picky with source. I don't like them unamped with brighter EQ's yet amped I use a bit brighter sounding interconnect and with my Cowon I choose to use an EQ I never would unamped even with tighter and cleaner bass making them sound leaner and more cool. I want to recommend but with the caveat that I can't say for certain how they will react to one's particular gear. The E40 was good as a monitor being consistent across gear and just wanted a bit of power to gets the tightest and best transients out of the bass notes.

edit: I did just do a quick unamped comparison. Remembered why I liked the Sport3 as the rear vents gave them some sweet bass and large stage and they perform nicely unamped. Yeah not changing much on what I was thinking. E40 and CKR90 forsake the open nature like the CKR9 and Sport3 and seem to need more juice for the best bass. Midrange is better like I thought and indeed brighter midrange up through the treble. Seem to remember the E40 close to Sport3 in that area so thinking you would notice them being brighter than E40.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #132 of 238
So, actually after eating a bit after work I can be more succinct and explain better the CKR90 behavior.

We know they are kind of the black sheep of the dual phase family and having one larger driver and those outer bass freqs. are not actually involved in the dual phase action so they can boom a bit down low. Thus why they can seem a bit picky and when part of the range is brighter they can "like" brighter things. They really like things that reign in the BOOM they can have down low like the leaner sounding interconnect I like to use with them but use it with nothing else. or the Tingo Flocked tip than balance out a sig by lessening the bass work well.

So, the reports of warmth and bigger bass are true but also they can sound like a ribbon tweeter kind of sound or to me like a bigger Ety with some bass. I do like them like that and would say they are an across the board improvement over the E40 but the bass needs lightening to be the most articulate. Then they are quick and sharp with great attack. Just depends on the gear and or tips and how they tune the bass to see what you end up with on the whole as when they boom a bit they are slower and less resolving and clear up through that bass range and possibly not any better than the E40 in that area.

I think that explains the behavior a bit more and maybe why they can be a bit more picky and perhaps a little more challenging to dial in just right even though i have found I can do it and am quite happy with the end result in my experience with them:)

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #133 of 238
Thanks, mate! It does worry me a bit that CKR90 has more bass than the E40. But if the instruments in the mid section have more definition (clarity), then this is A-OK for me. Brighter is better in my books! Maybe i must save up for CKR100. A bit confused about this. In any case, I need to find a reliable seller to ship this to Germany for me - this seems to be a challenge!

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #134 of 238
Well, like I said, it is how you master/get it under control. A bit more or a bit less. I feel they are a bit less than the E40. Stock tips on them a slight bit more than E40 and how much the other frequencies being more apparent balances it out. I did not want to give the impression that it would be a deal breaking amount. But it s bit more to get that right combo where the bass is perfect and they bloom into the best version of themselves.

I think that is what you get when you make the top model then try to devolve the lower model from it. I still think the 90 is the better value if you get it to it's best and counter what they did by putting in the smaller driver.

Might I ask what you plan to be running them out of and how you feel the source sig is to your ears?

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #135 of 238
Might I ask what you plan to be running them out of and how you feel the source sig is to your ears?
That's one of my problems. I haven't got much rig on me. I use my HTC smartphone for songs (it's good by itself) , with the Dragonfly Black Amp occasionally. I'd say the source signature is between neutral and warm. Some of my bright earphones dont sound very fatiguing, and my warm sounding earphones sound rather warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back