Audio-Technica updates CKR series: ATH-CKR100, ATH-CKR90, ATH-CKR70
Sep 15, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #151 of 238
Interesting! European volume capped, lol! 90 are indeed 12ohm and the easiest I have to drive of my current stuff. I would say they just changed the numbers on the box. 90 is a bit more sensitive at 109 so it actually needs a bit less volume than E40 did.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #153 of 238
You are right. Confused you saying they are about as easy to drive as the E70 with the E40. Notice if the CKR100 cable makes the E40 harder to drive. Possible put another cable on them that does cap them :frowning2:

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #154 of 238
Has anyone tried the elecom sh1000? I demo both the ckr90 and the sh1000 yesterday, and its beat the ckr90 (fully burned in) in almost all aspects.
The elecoms has a wider sound stage, more balanced, better details, and tamer bass. The elecom which was burned in for 30 hrs was a bit recessed though at the top trebles (jap review says it gets better after 100 hrs). They beat my aliexpress ckr9 ltd (which btw sounds the same with my friend's original). The fit of elecom's though is a bit worse than the ckr90, it can only be inserted in my ear if its hooked. I just want to confirm if my ears are hearing right...

Can someone compare them with the ckr100?

i'm about to choose from the ckr90, ckr100, ex800st, and the elecom sh1000 as my next upgrade.

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #155 of 238
Updated my CKR100 review with the following text.

---- UPDATE after a couple of months of use -----

If you buy these, please do buy the upgrade cable as well. I know it's already expensive and ATH must have put in their upgrade cable as the stock for CKR100. Anyway I got the ETHOS cable for around 70 dollars, and the sound is great! Much better than with stock cables. So, the sound impression that follows is with this cable.
I have a decent collection of IEMs and these are my absolute favourite. I can't listen to anything else now. The detail and resolution of the CKR100 are, IMO, the best that dynamic drivers can get you.

Let me tell you why these are the best!
Bass, Resolution, Vocals. They are simply amazing, and most satisfying. No other IEM gave me this perfect combination of the three most important parameters that make an IEM great. Just perfect. No sibilance at all, tight bass, with perfect decay, mesmerizing vocals, perfect colour. This is how an IEM should sound (IMO). It has all the details. ALL of them (you need to upgrade the cable to notice this)

More than the sound, there are couple of things which make these IEMs the real winner. That is,
A. The Form factor - No vents here to allow any outside wind in. The semi-closed design also gives a decent isolation, and no leakage of sound that could disturb anyone around. Also, the straight-down conventional method is super simple to wear, and remove when necessary. In just a second, they are out and you can make some conversation and pop them back in. I find this is what makes me pick them up every time I go out.
B. Housing material - The hard/shiny body of these makes sure that these are solid forever, constant use won't tamper them. Think wooden housings, like JVC woodies or Keyaki, touching them means some dirt is going to be deposited there whether you intend or not. It's going to lose the shine, and even the sound is going to change after a considerable amount of use. This forces me to use the Keyakis indoors, and not take much of a risk with them.

I've also learned a thing or two with my earphones experience. For me, dynamics are the best. BA's don't cut it for me. I'm not a super analytical listener, and all the extra on-you-face details simply bores me and distracts me from enjoying the music. Example: Ety ER4, ATH E70. Even the musical BA's like E-Q5 and FAD IV don't give me as much satisfaction as a good dynamic driver does me.

The only other IEM that gives me so much satisfaction across all genres is the Sony EX800. The downside with these are the open vents (terrible sound leakage, and wind noise). The EX800 bass feels a bit (just a little) loose sometimes. This is not the case with CKR100.
Also, a word comparing E70s. The drum-kit grabs all the attention with the E70s, and I also notice that the timber is a bit off (I guess, between 200-800 hz range). Also, the vocal sibilance puts me off. The CKR100 has the perfect timbre, every drum hit sounds authentic (not the case with E70). And everything plays out in a very balanced manner. E70 will win with micro-details at the expense of sibilance.

So, overall, I'd say this is the best 500 dollars (including the upgrade cable) I've spent on earphones. No regrets.
Adding half a star to my initial rating. Still loses half, just because of the cable.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #156 of 238
@archiyo - Don't know about the Elecoms.
Buy Ex800ST if you will only use them indoors when no one's around. It's also (much)cheaper than the CKR100.
If you want to carry the IEM outside, then you simply can't use EX800.
EX800 has wider soundstage, very spacious. And slightly more micro-details than the CKR100.
CKR100 has better vocals, and can be used anywhere. I would also say the EX800 are a bit warmer sounding than the CKR100.
I prefer the CKR100 sound, and EX800 soundstage.
Note that CKR100 is more expensive and you would absolutely need the upgrade cable. That will run you upto 500 USD.
EX800 is half the price, and EX800 cable isn't great either (but you don't need an upgrade cable).

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #157 of 238
@iems0nly - thanks for your opinion! I'll rule out the ex800st then..... but between the ls200 and the ckr100, which do you think is better?

I also follow your post at crincle's iem ranking, where would you rank the ckr100 with the new cable?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #158 of 238
Updated my CKR100 review with the following text.

If you buy these, please do buy the upgrade cable as well. I know it's already expensive and ATH must have put in their upgrade cable as the stock for CKR100. Anyway I got the ETHOS cable for around 70 dollars, and the sound is great! Much better than with stock cables.

Hey,

I have the Japanese CKR100 and I'm wondering about this ETHOS cable. Where did you get it? Is it available in Europe? Is it this one: http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/003010000475/ct1590/page1/recommend/

Thanks!

Nov 5, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #159 of 238
Jun 30, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #161 of 238
Well, I received my ATH-CKR100is recently and I have to say that it has a great sound with more conventional housings (last 3 IEMs I traded were Noble Savant Wizards, JVC FX700, and FLC8S). Due to the push/dual-dual-dynamic-drivers from each housing, I can only play them on my Cowon J3 DAP from being the most unforgiving IEM I have ever heard (even my Shure SE846 is not this unforgiving and pretty close to being HD800S-unforgiving) and you will have to feng-shui the housings to get a most stable fit-and-finish.

Thankfully, the CKR100is housings are almost identical to the FX700 housings, so I can also wear them over-ear and twist/turn the nozzles to my ear-canal’s direction. With that said, JVC spiral-dot ear tips are compatible with the CKR100is. The sound is very fluid and the soundstage is very wide and stereo-congruent. It is like having cross-feed, but more passive and natural.

Granted, the CKR100is is not quite as detailed as hybrid-DD-BA IEMs and BA IEMs I owned, but the speaker-like sound from the CKR100is is soooo much better with genres that require good bass and/or tonality. Maybe it is because I have been relying on BAs for my IEMs so much that I forgot about dynamic IEMs, but the fluidity and stereoptical signature is very welcoming to my ears.:)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #162 of 238
Oh wow, after playing a bunch of indie rock, the CKR100iS are so bad-a**!!!

Maybe it was the chi-fi IEMs I just bought that made me wonder why I had more expensive IEMs and why I considered getting other expensive IEMs, but the push/pull-dual-dynamic system of the CKR100iS proves itself to be one-of-a-kind over the hybrid-BA-dynamic and all-BA IEMs. Granted, I needed to own the old JVC HA-FX700 to realize the CKR100iS needed to be worn over-ear to temper the extraneous push/pull system sounds, but that was really it.

The CKR100iS is still unforgiving at certain times, but they do have quite a learning-curve to identify when the push/pull system is playing certain frequency and what degree it is playing. Most important of all, I don’t think companies like KZ can copy the push/pull-dual-dynamic system and keep their QC in check for long, making the CKR100iS a highly valued gem to have over any collection of IEMs.

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #164 of 238
Sound different between CKR90 vs CKR100?

Is either an upgrade from E40?

I haven’t heard the CKR90 or E40, but I have owned numerous Audio Technica headphone/earphone products. Looking at the E40 as having only push/pull drivers that are look to be smaller than the CKR100iS drivers, there will probably be a larger soundstage and better instrument separation with the CKR100iS. Couple that with already very orthogonal sound signature, and you have an instant upgrade from the E40 in the CKR100iS.

Now if you are thinking about upgrading to an E70 instead, I would advise getting a cheap BA/Dynamic hybrid and trying that out first, like a KZ or something like that. Then, if you really like the sound and wish to have that hybrid combined with an E40 sound, then get an E70. Otherwise, there will be too much technology and not enough music playing, making the CKR100iS the more apparently better choice all along.

Aug 8, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #165 of 238
Maybe asking the obvious, but couldn't find it in this topic or on google, but what is the difference between the ATH-CKR100is and 'regular' ATH-CRK100?
And did anyone find the ATH-CRK90(is) in Europe already? As far as I can see I can only get the 100's for roughly €3-400, so I'm mainly interested in the more wallet-friendly priced 90's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back