Audio Technica Releases: A500X, A700X, A900X
Nov 22, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 40
Hey guys... Ordered a set of A900x's from Japan the other day as an early christmas gift.... will let you know how they go when they're here :)

While on the topic here.... any reccomendations as for a portable headphone amp for this set?

42ohms 2watts per channel

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 40
Ok.. Recieved these headphones today....

Source: FLAC , ALC889

1. 3D Wing design - Floating headphones more comfortable than any other set I've had so far... racking up about 3 hours now and they are pretty much invisible bar some slight pressure around my ears... Pads are comfortable and alot comfier than previous headphones.

2. Sound quality.... Impeccable... Been listening for 3 hours now and have not one gripe with them...
Bass is responsive and has lots of "punch" more so using an FiiO E7 amplifier... the onboard sound is plenty for driving them.

Vocals: I would say are the most defined out of the lot being crisp and clear...
Soundstage: Wide but not too wide leaves you feeling like your listening to "Bruce Springsteen - Im on fire" within your own large living room guitarist and drums positioning being perfect.

Overall: I feel like i'm in another world listening to this headset over something like say the G35 by Logitech or anything in that range... after listening to a set of sennheiser's the other day and making the decision to buy these headphone's. I feel I may be lacking in my source and I could be milking these for all they're worth. One thing I might add is I now know how much i've been missing in the treble region and is something that will take some time getting used to.

The A900X's are the ones that will be pried from my cold dead hands...

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 40
The ALC889 chipset sounds awful, no matter how much power it has...  *CRINGE*

Quote:

1. 3D Wing design - Floating headphones more comfortable than any other set I've had so far... racking up about 3 hours now and they are pretty much invisible bar some slight pressure around my ears... Pads are comfortable and alot comfier than previous headphones.

2. Sound quality.... Impeccable... Been listening for 3 hours now and have not one gripe with them...
Bass is responsive and has lots of "punch" more so using an FiiO E7 amplifier... the onboard sound is plenty for driving them.

Vocals: I would say are the most defined out of the lot being crisp and clear...
Soundstage: Wide but not too wide leaves you feeling like your listening to "Bruce Springsteen - Im on fire" within your own large living room guitarist and drums positioning being perfect.

Overall: I feel like i'm in another world listening to this headset over something like say the G35 by Logitech or anything in that range... after listening to a set of sennheiser's the other day and making the decision to buy these headphone's. I feel I may be lacking in my source and I could be milking these for all they're worth. One thing I might add is I now know how much i've been missing in the treble region and is something that will take some time getting used to.

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 40

Quote:

What headphones have you used/had before the A900X that you can compare to?

I'd like to know how it sounds compared to the A900, or something similar to it, maybe an AKG?

Also, if you're up for some leg work, get Audacity. Load her up. After loading, select Generate -> Tone. Do waveform Sine, Frequency 100hz, Amplitude 0.8, duration 2 seconds. And then just do it over and over and step it down 10hz at a time until you get 10 hz (so 100, 90, 80, 70, etc). At 10hz, you should probably not hear anything anyways, so maybe do a 5hz for completeness and then stop. Let us know how each frequency sounded in the closed back A900x? I know that's a lot of trouble. But it will reveal a lot about this headphone to me and I'm quite interested. Thanks!

Very best,

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 40

Quote:
The ALC889 chipset sounds awful, no matter how much power it has...  *CRINGE*

your right about that... the FiiO is alright... still makes me wish I had something better in the way of amps... tried my Sony STR-DG540 and its well.... ****...

might have to pull the creative xfi out of the other comp or look for an upgrade.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #10 of 40
What you need is the FiiO E9.  The E7 docks into it to provide a legitimate amp.  The E7 really isn't an amp, it is just a DAC.  They were made to complement each other.

Quote:
your right about that... the FiiO is alright... still makes me wish I had something better in the way of amps... tried my Sony STR-DG540 and its well.... ****...

might have to pull the creative xfi out of the other comp or look for an upgrade.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 40

Quote:

What headphones have you used/had before the A900X that you can compare to?

I'd like to know how it sounds compared to the A900, or something similar to it, maybe an AKG?

Also, if you're up for some leg work, get Audacity. Load her up. After loading, select Generate -> Tone. Do waveform Sine, Frequency 100hz, Amplitude 0.8, duration 2 seconds. And then just do it over and over and step it down 10hz at a time until you get 10 hz (so 100, 90, 80, 70, etc). At 10hz, you should probably not hear anything anyways, so maybe do a 5hz for completeness and then stop. Let us know how each frequency sounded in the closed back A900x? I know that's a lot of trouble. But it will reveal a lot about this headphone to me and I'm quite interested. Thanks!

Very best,

ALC889 - Z68X-UD3R On Board Audio

100Hz - Very Good
90Hz - Very Good
80Hz - Very Good
70Hz - Very Good
60Hz - Very Good
50Hz - Very Good
40Hz - Excellent
30Hz - Very Good
20Hz - Good
10Hz - Inaudible

Please note that the test was done on an ALC889
Chip goes down to 10Hz

Test repeat:

Onkyo TX-NR579B

100Hz - Excellent
90Hz - Excellent
80Hz - Excellent
70Hz - Excellent
60Hz - Excellent
50Hz - Excellent
40Hz - Excellent
30Hz - Excellent
20Hz - Very good
10Hz - Inaudible

Onkyo - 20Hz - 50,000Hz
(Optical Audio)

Fiio E7

100Hz - Excellent
90Hz - Excellent
80Hz - Excellent
70Hz - Excellent
60Hz - Excellent
50Hz - Excellent
40Hz - Very good
30Hz - Very good
20Hz - Very good
10Hz - Extremely Faint - By hearing and from touch... actually I may have been hearing air moving... lol?

Anyone know if the E7 tops the ALC889?
(USB Mode)

Sony STR-DG520 - Default

100Hz - Best
90Hz - Best
80Hz - Best
70Hz - Best
60Hz - Excellent
50Hz - Excellent
40Hz - Excellent
30Hz - Excellent
20Hz - Very good
10Hz - Good - Surprised I audibly heard this... and aswell as at 20Hz... could the Sony be stuffed?
5Hz - Heard this aswell...  came with the general 5Hz tone acompanied by faint high frequency whistle at the top of each peak?

Overall listening... I Only plugged this Sony in to do the test now....

FLAC
I've just tested a couple more songs out just now after being shocked by the Sony...
Owl City - Hello Seattle [Remix]                          Bass has increased...
Eagles - Hotel California [Live]                             Incredible your almost there in the audience
Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites         
Prokofiev - Montagues and Capulets                    These cans are perfect if your a fan of classical...
Men At Work - Down Under
Two Door Cinema Club - Something Good Can Work
Brittney Spears - I Wanna Go

All seem to sound more defined on the Sony...
Occasionally the extra bass seems to take away from the treble which to me isn't such a bad thing in these cans based on the amount they already have... sometimes it's audibly too high.
Distortion also increased with added volume and bass however it seems to be only at levels that would possibly cause damaged if used for too long.

I had a facial cyst removed today and now the new lease of Bass provided seems to aggravate it...

I can't help but feel if the comfy pads that support my ears where a little tighter.. / more uncomfortable because they seem to float at the moment... I'd get that good old head vibration I get when using the Sennheiser's I tried awhile back... Think they where HD600's or something like that...

If you do pull a set from Ebay might I reccomend tk-beatbox http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/audio-technica-Art-Monitor-Headphones-ATH-A900X-Brand-New-/150701858114?pt=AU_headphone&hash=item231687dd42

He's friendly, efficient and had these cans to me in Sydney, AU in 3 days.....

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 40

Quote:
What you need is the FiiO E9.  The E7 docks into it to provide a legitimate amp.  The E7 really isn't an amp, it is just a DAC.  They were made to complement each other.

Thank's I'll look into grabbing one down the track... I looked at the specs to tell you the truth on a reccomendation and thought it would be perfect to run the 42 Ohms....

I've just reassessed the Sony, seems I had EQ settings on before.... after a reset it by far trumps the rest which is odd because I've spent loads on the Onkyo and the Sony was alot less and basic.

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 40
  Lookie what I got this morning!
My initial impressions. Very clean high end clarity,  I have nothing that sounds as clean as these. I am surprised at the very full balance these phones have. The bass has opened up a bit since I started playing music on them since this morning. At first I was concerned because the bass sounded reserved to me on open box .

It is all smiles so far. I can tell these have some refinements that are working well for the sound. The bass is extended and layered well.  It is more of a neutral sound with great extension on both ends. But then again playing heavier bass end tracks. These just threw a huge smile on my face!! Money well spent.!  These have not a thing in the sound signature that is lacking or recessed. Everything sound crystal clear to me. Highs, mids, bass all smooth and full with a clean glass like clarity. Much like my WS55 when a track calls for heavier bass, the bass comes out to play. When a track calls for precision and clarity. That is what you get. Oh man these are awesome guys!

Pros, 1) New pleather cushy pads
         2) Comfy
         3) Looks awesome in all black
         4) Clean clear sound, supremely balanced and smooth.
         5) Wide stage for closed but you guys would have guessed that already
         6) A high end AT sound with Bass! Oh man what can I say... Awesome!
         7) As smooth as they sound now I can see these getting better with burn in.
         8) Great value for this sound for sure! I wonder just how much more you get sound wise with these compared to their signature high ends..

Cons 1) These will probably sell for cheaper when they release them in the states
         2) Needs some serious burn in.

Will check back in about a weeks worth of burn.. I am very impressed.  Malveaux. Katun, Santa says these are the ones to get this Christmas. I will give these a hearty Dsnuts thumbs up!! Oh man the bass is opening up! Oh Yay! These are sounding better and better as I listen to them.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #15 of 40
Heya,

Hrm. Thanks. I'm all about the closed headphones, so this is pretty much an exciting headphone if it can have a nice wide sound stage, but still have bass, unlike it's younger siblings. Doesn't even have to be a basshead bass, just enough to be considered neutral, instead of out right shy on bass. So I'm glad to hear multiple reports of it being able to produce good bass as well as it's wonderful mids & treble. I'd really like to compare the A900 and 900X side by side. Might have to do something with that. I still wish they'd get rid of those "floating wings" and go to a headband style (like their lower model of the new X art series, it has a full band and looks great). But I may give AT one last go. Though I'm also tickling the idea of getting of their wood back closed headphones too, but I don't like the reports of their sound as they all seem to lack the bass I know I'll want. Do you think the 900X is capable of being wood-backed?

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back