Audio Technica M50S review - A fine closed headphone.
May 12, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #17 of 23

Quote:

No doubt the m50s are good cans, but I've heard them along with plenty of other cans amped and unamped and I have a couple of issues with your claims.
Compare MSRP vs MSRP and low internet price vs low internet, its just easier and more consistent that way.
Power and volume levels are not a selling point of an amp, I've heard cmoys and IMO its 5 bucks in parts with an OP amp that colors the sound to your liking, as well as adding volume. Check out a circuit schematic, there isn't much to them. I won't be ditching my minimax for one anytime soon.
Your entitled to your opinion about the m50s but mine is they're one of the best 100-150 closed cans but they don't compete with cans such as the d5ks, hd600s, k701s costing three times as much. There's a million reviews of the m50s out there since they hit FOTM, and yours seems to be the most glowing.

First off, I adjusted the title to one of the finest closed-backs, because it is, regardless of the price.  I did that because I could see it being over-subjective.  My bad, at the time the M50's were my first step into Hi-Fi, and the sound was overwhelmingly positive.  Never had the D5000, but I did own the "step-down" D2000.  I preferred my M50 over that.  I as well did own the K702 - identical to 701 except color and detachable cable.  I preferred my M50 over that as well (however, the K702's had excellent movie detail).  Can't compete?  That's why I sold my K702's and D2000's, because my M50's weren't in the same league.  Oh well.  It's always up to the user.

In addition, I do know the construction and the ability to roll amps in the Cmoy.  Nevertheless, my stock 2227 sounded exquisite to my ears, so I had no desire to change it.

May 12, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #18 of 23
No offense, but I find some of the review to be misleading. You refer to the bass as a subwoofer, I highly disagree. I was swindled into buying the M50's from people telling me that they are bass monsters (they aren't). They aren't that bass heavy, no comparison to a subwoofer. I just hope this guide doesn't make some of the basshead noobs pick the M50.

May 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #19 of 23
No offense, but I find some of the review to be misleading. You refer to the bass as a subwoofer, I highly disagree. I was swindled into buying the M50's from people telling me that they are bass monsters (they aren't). They aren't that bass heavy, no comparison to a subwoofer. I just hope this guide doesn't make some of the basshead noobs pick the M50.

I'd have to agree here. The M50s have detailed tight bass. However, they are not subwoofers by any means. As a biased statement (from someone who loves their TMA-1) I prefer and love the amount of bass that come out of my TMA-1'S.

May 12, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #20 of 23

Quote:

I agree with you.  I actually just copied my review from Amazon from two years ago.  I can see how it doesn't apply fully now.  I will have to revise it later.  The reason why I mentioned that it sounded like a subwoofer is because the version I had was a early M50.  The newer ones nowadays have significantly less bass, it actually disappointed me!  So I modded them by sticking an extra layer of headphone padding to the stock ones and the bass is now just as strong as I remembered it.  The new version was purchased a month ago, it was my third pair.  I fully believe there is real difference, in fact, the newer version sounds like a more refined ATH-M40.  Very interesting...

That's why I also pulled the trigger on the PRO700MK2's, low and behold - they just arrived!  Review with pics coming very soon. (here is a teaser :)

May 14, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #23 of 23
I'm looking forward to the review of those PRO700MK2's. I auditioned several headphones when I was shopping for my head-fi system. At the same time I was upgrading my power supply, mains, and center channel speaker. The Violectric HPA V200 >> LCD-2 combo would have to wait. So I settled on the Mav D1 >> M50S in the mean time and I'm very happy with the result. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back