Audio Technica M50
May 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #46 of 65
Quote:
what is the impedance rating of your DT770?  your woo3+ is an OTL design and it probably not going well with rather the low impedance of the M50.  I drive mine out of ss amp it couldn't sound better. 
they sound so good that i rate them right now above the D5000 in balanced performance.

The DT770 is 80 Ohm

May 25, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #47 of 65
also pretty low...but still 42ohms above the M50 which could be significant.
I have an earmax pro which is also an OTL design amp and it supposed to handle 32ohms and above, the recommended is minimum of 60 though.   but the earmax pro in contrast to the regular earmax has a more powerful PSU so it could drive those low impedance headphones adequately (but still the recommended impedance is 60 ohms and above).
so you can check it out on the forums and also with woo just to make sure that you get the best drive for your M50. 
I found them improving nicely with adequately amplification.   I am driving them right now with my marantzCD5001 built in headamp and although the sound is nice and all,it is not on par with my headroom ultra micro stack, which is easely one or two levels above the marantz alone.

May 25, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #48 of 65

Quote:
also pretty low...but still 42ohms above the M50 which could be significant.
I have an earmax pro which is also an OTL design amp and it supposed to handle 32ohms and above, the recommended is minimum of 60 though.   but the earmax pro in contrast to the regular earmax has a more powerful PSU so it could drive those low impedance headphones adequately (but still the recommended impedance is 60 ohms and above).
so you can check it out on the forums and also with woo just to make sure that you get the best drive for your M50. 
I found them improving nicely with adequately amplification.   I am driving them right now with my marantzCD5001 built in headamp and although the sound is nice and all,it is not on par with my headroom ultra micro stack, which is easely one or two levels above the marantz alone.

I will do some more research. I think after listening all morning and going back and forth between the two I can finally describe what I hear. The M50 has all parts equal or like a flat line. The bass, vocals, mids, highs are all level with a smaller sound stage. I feel like the speakers and everything is right in front of me. The DT770 has more bass and highs and the vocals and mids are more recessed. Not too recessed but u can tell that all levels are not the same. Instead of the straight line it is more like a shallow U. From what I have researched this can be an issue with people but I think my amp helps to bring the vocals and mids out. With the DT770 I feel like the music is more spread out in front of me, more natural.  Not sure if this makes sense as I am new to headphone use and these audio terms. Who knows maybe I am just a bass head and never knew it :)

May 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #49 of 65

Quote:
     Quote:

I will do some more research. I think after listening all morning and going back and forth between the two I can finally describe what I hear. The M50 has all parts equal or like a flat line. The bass, vocals, mids, highs are all level with a smaller sound stage. I feel like the speakers and everything is right in front of me. The DT770 has more bass and highs and the vocals and mids are more recessed. Not too recessed but u can tell that all levels are not the same. Instead of the straight line it is more like a shallow U. From what I have researched this can be an issue with people but I think my amp helps to bring the vocals and mids out. With the DT770 I feel like the music is more spread out in front of me, more natural.  Not sure if this makes sense as I am new to headphone use and these audio terms. Who knows maybe I am just a bass head and never knew it :)

it sounds that the DT770 is more like the D5000 in sound,i like to use the term "unleashed".
the M50 is very well balanced in the mids and highs with a little spike in the bass zone,but it still sounds tight to me,not bloated or something...when correctly powered ofcourse.
they have a very nice deep bass also,close to the D5000 but still not exactly on par with them. 

May 25, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #50 of 65

Quote:
it sounds that the DT770 is more like the D5000 in sound,i like to use the term "unleashed".
the M50 is very well balanced in the mids and highs with a little spike in the bass zone,but it still sounds tight to me,not bloated or something...when correctly powered ofcourse.
they have a very nice deep bass also,close to the D5000 but still not exactly on par with them. 

Correctly powered is a good point for the DT770 too. I feel as though maybe the two shouldn't be compared. I only got them to try out for gaming and music when I felt like using a closed can. The M50 straight out of an iPod/iphone is no contest. I tried the DT770 and there is no way you can run them with no amp. The M50 sounded way better than my Beats and they look even better. So I think using the M50 with portables is a great way to go. I am going to give both these cans more time to burn in and let my ears adjust before I make any final decisions. 

May 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #51 of 65
After a brief listen while at work- the M50's sound ALOT like my IE8's. Will do more ABing tonight to see what the differences/ pros + cons are between the two.

I'm listening to them through my 3rd gen iPod Touch + LOD + Headstage Arrow amp. 

May 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #52 of 65
Mine benefit absolutely nothing from my Auditor, in fact I prefer to listen with them from my PSP than from my main setup.

May 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #54 of 65
Just out of curiosity, I'll plug them into my PSP tonight and see how they sound (if I can even find the PSP.) Will probably need to dust the PSP off after finding it.

BTW: I don't understand what everyone is talking about w/ the M50's clamping too hard. I don't exactly have a small head, and they're pretty comfortable on my head. This is my first set of full sized cans, other than the Turtle Beach headphones I use for playing xbox, and the M50's are definitely tighter than those, but not to the point where I would need to stretch them out over night.

May 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #55 of 65
Something like the E5 will do miracles with the M50 if you plan on using them with your PSP. The M50s sound weak when plugged straight into the PSP. It can't power headphones well AT ALL.

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #56 of 65
So im on the verge of buying these... good reviews good stats... but how about the sound leakage. Do they leak much sound?? and could an ipod support these because im mainly buying them for mobile ones and kinda multi purpose. They recomended for me? (im not in the studio with amazing sound quality music. just lettting you know)

thx
(srry im a huge noob when it comes to this stuff)

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #57 of 65
it's a good headphone, but i wouldn't walk around with it due to its size and weight. it's not the on heavy side, it's a full size after all. the ultimate portable  cans would be sennheiser HD25-1 II. and for ultra portables, check this out.http://www.headfonia.com/ultra-portable-shootout-px100-px200-portapro-k404-v-jays-tracks-oldskool-and-hd238/

Quote:
So im on the verge of buying these... good reviews good stats... but how about the sound leakage. Do they leak much sound?? and could an ipod support these because im mainly buying them for mobile ones and kinda multi purpose. They recomended for me? (im not in the studio with amazing sound quality music. just lettting you know)

thx
(srry im a huge noob when it comes to this stuff)

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #58 of 65
Those Sennhies you posted do look nice and portable though...until i saw the price :O

I would walk around with them..

They dont look that bulky on this picture.

Hell, i used to walk around with the Mdr-V6 around til they broke down. I used to just hide the cord in the pockets of my pants.
I saw somebody walking with that damn long cord out in the open and he looked like he was going to trip anytime lol

Yes, From what i been reading is that the M50 are better than the V6..

I think i would grab one of these and see for myself.

i am not sure if i should wait,
Does Black Friday usually offer deals on Cans and IEM's?
if so, i think i may have to wait til then

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #60 of 65
so i still havent found the answer to my question... do they leak sound?? because im not going to be walking arround with them but i might take them to school or something like that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back