Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Jul 3, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #1,051 of 1,524

How does the 70 compare to the 50? A lot of comments suggests that the 50 is the better buy because the difference between it and the 70 doesn't justify the price difference. And too bad it only comes in red 
frown.gif

I'm more interested in the MK5 because looking at the graphs, it reminds me of my broken pair of ATH-ES55 portable headphones (it's just sitting on my shelf waiting for me to fix) which I absolutely loved for it's crystal clear, forward sound. 

IM50 vs IM70;

- IM50 has more mid-bass and has a fuller midrange.
- IM50 has more forward mids.
- IM50 has thicker vocals, sounds more natural.
- IM50 is more suited for EDM while the rest goes to IM70.

- IM70 has more bass (especially sub-bass) and less mid-bass than IM50.
- IM70 has a bit wider soundstage.
- IM70 is less mid-forward than IM50 and has more details in mids but also sounds thinner (vocals are warmer in IM50)
- IM70 has better treble extension, treble is more forward. 
- IM70 is more balanced than IM50. 

IM70 vs MK5;

IM70 is more bassy and subb-bass extension is a tad better. Midrange is on par maybe MK5 is a bit more detailed and more accurate.

Treble extension is better on MK5 though IM70 is not far behind but sometimes it can be a little bit hot in some songs compared to MK5. 

Here is my IM70 review I've posted some time ago: http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-im70-dual-symphonic-drivers-in-ear-headphones/reviews/12408

Hope that helps.

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #1,052 of 1,524

I came from the Tenore, which like you said, is a much more detailed and balanced sounding IEM. I understand the appeal of the IM50, it's got a big bass that works great with a variety of tracks, but I just can't get over the boomy nature of the lower mid/upper bass. The main reason I bought this was to replace my fairly worn out pair of Tenore, because I wanted something with a similar sound signature but with a bit more weight and intimacy. The IM50 sort of accomplishes this with a similar midrange/upper mid performance but then I find the mid bass to be a bit intrusive and makes a lot of things sound so unnaturally thick. 

Sorry to come off all negative and sounding like I absolutely hate them, it's just that I'm kinda disappointed. I do have to say that I'm quite impressed with the build quality of this thing, combined with an excellent cable and the fact that it's replaceable gives me a peace of mind that I don't get often when buying headphones.

On that note, I'd like to ask what other IEM under or around $100 would fit my preferred sound? I'm looking for something in between the Tenore and IM50, something with a rounded bass with a very intimate and present midrange without that bloated sound. 

Well, coming from a Tenore, the IM50 certainly sounds a lot more rounded, with a heftier bass presence and a darker tonality. However, I wouldn't regard its bass as boomy - it certainly has boosted levels, but they are well controlled, punchy, and with good texture.

Nevertheless, I understand where you are coming from, and I'm hoping you'll find its sound more suited to your ears with some tip rolling. Or, like Ozkan mentioned, you could try the IM70, which sits somewhere in between the Tenore and the IM50 in regard to overall bass quantity. The IM70 is also more detailed than the IM50, with better treble extension and sparkle, and a less weighty tonality.

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #1,053 of 1,524
I just bought the IM50 as a temporary fix as I left my IM70 behind when I went home last month. My IM70s were posted back to me and now I have both for comparison :) 

I listen mostly to trance & techno and I'm finding the mid-bass in the IM50 to be quite boomy, distractingly so at times, whereas the bass from the IM70 is punchier and clearer without overwhelming the rest of the sound. I listen either direct from my phone (Nexus 5) or via an iBasso D-Zero Mk1 when I can be bothered carrying it, and I find this effect is most pronounced with the D-Zero.

I definitely prefer the sound of the IM70, despite listening to a genre that the IM50 is widely considered to be better suited for. Whether the IM70 is worth the extra cost (here in Singapore the IM50/IM70 are SGD $90/$140 respectively) I'm still undecided. I don't think it's over 50% better but I do think it is 50 bucks better, if that makes sense despite seeming contradictory. Either way, both are phenomenal value for how good they are, and have displaced my previous favourites, the Shure SE215 LTD.

Btw I personally like the red.

Edit: I've read back a couple of pages and seen a few comments about burn-in being particularly pronounced with these IEMs. I can't recall if the sound from the IM70s changed noticeably after I bought them, but maybe it is unfair to compare brand new IM50s with 6 month old IM70s. I'll leave my IM50s playing music from my work PC over the weekend and compare again on Monday.

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #1,054 of 1,524
  I just bought the IM50 as a temporary fix as I left my IM70 behind when I went home last month. My IM70s were posted back to me and now I have both for comparison :) 

I listen mostly to trance & techno and I'm finding the mid-bass in the IM50 to be quite boomy, distractingly so at times, whereas the bass from the IM70 is punchier and clearer without overwhelming the rest of the sound. I listen either direct from my phone (Nexus 5) or via an iBasso D-Zero Mk1 when I can be bothered carrying it, and I find this effect is most pronounced with the D-Zero.

Definitely agree that the IM50 plays differently with different sources (Most sensitive IEMs do). For instance, straight from my computer or certain amps, the IM50 sounds boomy and blurry. With a less warm player like an iPod or smartphone, it sounds just fine. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #1,055 of 1,524
Hi there, newbie here! Just bought a pair of IM50s, and I've been wondering if there are any eartip suggestions for people with small ear canals?

I've been using the small eartips for the IM50s, and they do fit me, but they are a bit too large, and I'm afraid they might be a bit too tiring to wear for extended wear, has anyone tried any ear tips that fit the IM50 that are even smaller than the S tips included within (perhaps maybe around the size of Vsonic's XS eartips)? 

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,056 of 1,524
I didn't actually think removing the filter on my IM50s would do anything, as most of the mods I do reccomended to me on other headphones don't do ****. But wow! This mod takes these IEMs to another level, has anyone that has done this mod encounter any issues with debris entering the holes?

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #1,057 of 1,524
  I didn't actually think removing the filter on my IM50s would do anything, as most of the mods I do reccomended to me on other headphones don't do ****. But wow! This mod takes these IEMs to another level, has anyone that has done this mod encounter any issues with debris entering the holes?

Glad you liked them w/o filters and yes it makes a big difference in overall clarity. I'm using my IM50 without filters maybe after a few days I got them and using them without any issues. Since the sterm is long and angled, if you clean them gently with a cotton stick occasionally, I don't think you'll have any poblems. Btw, I always baby my IEMs:)  

I haven't tried but a small piece of nylon stocking over the nozzle might help dust, hair or wax entering inside the nozzle.

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #1,058 of 1,524
Wow I can't believe this could be true!! Yes guys, I found another mod which takes IM50s to another level however this mod is at your own risk but simple as you will only need a tiny needle. Just poke a tiny hole under the nozzle right next to the IM50 logo and you'll be amazed how this little beast sounds more clearer, more extended on highs and becomes less mid-bassy.

Just a warning, you should only insert 2-3 mm inside the hole not more as the driver is placed right behind that hole and you may damage the driver if you insert it too much. But it's definitely worth the extra effort for me!
Please don't forget to share your impressions after doing this mod.
beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #1,059 of 1,524
Wasn't happy with the stock sound so I went ahead and removed the filters. I prefer this new sound much more than the stock sound. The thick upper bass is pushed back a bit, sounds leaner and less dry, much more to my liking. The drawback though is that the upper mids becomes a lot more aggressive.

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #1,060 of 1,524
What tips do you guys suggest I get for my IM-50's? I have managed to destroy the foam tips after wearing them 6-12 hours a day for 3 months and I don't like the included rubber tips. The slightly raised line from the mold they were made in is making my ears itch.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #1,064 of 1,524
What tips do you guys suggest I get for my IM-50's? I have managed to destroy the foam tips after wearing them 6-12 hours a day for 3 months and I don't like the included rubber tips. The slightly raised line from the mold they were made in is making my ears itch.

You can try spinfits too. They do get pretty good reviews here and theres a whole thread on them somewhere..

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #1,065 of 1,524

Honestly, I'd personally recommend you try and get used to foams.
I've recently purchased some of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055XIB1W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 For the sake of comfort, and that they grip the nozzles easier on things like the MEElectronics M6 Pros, IM50/70, and SE215 and don't wear out as easily as the T200 Foams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back