Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Jul 26, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #1,081 of 1,524
Hi, Could anyone please compare the IM50 to the Beyerdynamic MMX 102 iE? I'm looking to buy one of these or any other that are suggested. I usually listen to Two Steps From Hell. That's sort of epic instrumental type music, so I like detail. I've heard the MMX 102 iE, since they're on demo, but not the IM50. any comparison would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #1,082 of 1,524
Hi, Could anyone please compare the IM50 to the Beyerdynamic MMX 102 iE? I'm looking to buy one of these or any other that are suggested. I usually listen to Two Steps From Hell. That's sort of epic instrumental type music, so I like detail. I've heard the MMX 102 iE, since they're on demo, but not the IM50. any comparison would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I can easily say that IM50 is very good for OSTs but I think IM70 would be better choice considering that you can stretch your budget to $90. I haven't listened to MMX102 iE though. Or if you are a bit brave enough you can buy an IM50 and poke a tiny hole on the vent under the nozzle which imo makes them sound a bit more detailed almost to the level of IM70. 
biggrin.gif

You'll hear more details and a bit more sub-bass with IM70.

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #1,083 of 1,524
Thanks but where I am the price difference between the IM50 and the IM70 is pretty huge, IM50 is around $70 and the IM70 is nearer $120. :frowning2:

I really do need a comparison between the MMX 102 IE and the IM50. The MMX is around $85 here.

Thanks anyway.

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #1,084 of 1,524
Thanks but where I am the price difference between the IM50 and the IM70 is pretty huge, IM50 is around $70 and the IM70 is nearer $120. :frowning2:

I really do need a comparison between the MMX 102 IE and the IM50. The MMX is around $85 here.

Thanks anyway.

Where do you live btw? You can also buy from Ebay. This seller has them for $85 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-technica-ATH-IM70-Dual-Symphonic-In-Ear-Monitor-Headphone-Earphone-Red-JP/171527590302?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32687%26meid%3D06febde77c0e45f18bab69807381f0f5%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D281755340875&rt=nc

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #1,085 of 1,524
Thanks, I prefer an actual walk-in buy but I'll def check it out.
I live in Malaysia atm. (I'm a British citizen). The shop is Harvey Norman.

Also, can the IM's be worn cable down? Or is it exclusively over ear?
You should try the MMX 102 IE they're pretty cool, though the bass can sound a bit bloated but I'm wondering whether that would decrease with a burn in?

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #1,086 of 1,524
Thanks, I prefer an actual walk-in buy but I'll def check it out.
I live in Malaysia atm. (I'm a British citizen). The shop is Harvey Norman.

Also, can the IM's be worn cable down? Or is it exclusively over ear?
You should try the MMX 102 IE they're pretty cool, though the bass can sound a bit bloated but I'm wondering whether that would decrease with a burn in?

No, you cannot wear IM50/70 cable down unfortunately. No way!

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #1,087 of 1,524
Just to ask, the IM50, how does the bass interact with the upper frequencies? On some IEM's the lower end creates somewhat of a veil over the higher end, muffling things like string instruments and female vocalists.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,088 of 1,524
Just to ask, the IM50, how does the bass interact with the upper frequencies? On some IEM's the lower end creates somewhat of a veil over the higher end, muffling things like string instruments and female vocalists.

Bass doesn't veil the mids or highs on IM50. Especially female vocalists sounds amazingly clear. String instruments are also fine as far as I can tell. 

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #1,091 of 1,524
How does the IM50 compare to the Sony EX650AP?
I need to know asap. Gonna go to the shop tomorrow.
Just any kind of comparison would be great.

Haven't heard the Sony earphones. However, is there any way you can audition the IEMs on your shortlist? Our recommendations and impressions can only get you so far; it's important to try them (if you can), and see if they fit your music preferences.

With that said, between the IM50 and the IM70, I'd recommend the latter. It's a clearer IEM with slightly less mid-bass.

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #1,092 of 1,524
How does the IM50 compare to the Sony EX650AP?
I need to know asap. Gonna go to the shop tomorrow.
Just any kind of comparison would be great.

I own both the EX650AP and the IM70, I have to say there is no competition in terms of sound quality, the IM70 is on a higher tier. Whilst the EX650AP's bass has more punch and quantity compared to the IM70 it is somewhat muddy in comparison. However, the harsh and uneven treble response on a lot of songs is what sets it behind the IM70. That being said, the EX650AP does do some things exceptionally well, like the build quality where the housing is made of brass and high density plastic, as well as a nice cable with inline mic and one button remote for your phone. The ergonomics are simpler than the IM70, it is comfortable and should stay in your ears well.

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #1,093 of 1,524
Has anyone here experienced driver flex? I just got a new IM70 and it has driver flex on the right side when I insert the eartip, but it's less noticeable if I do it gently. However, I do notice a considerable pressure or physical congestion (sound is fine) building up on that side. It's worse with Phillips SHE3590 tips and not as bad with the stock tips. It seems it's not vented properly and the seal is too "good", but I don't want to poke the vents or filters just yet... then I might go back to the good old channel imbalance i had before... lol

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #1,094 of 1,524
  Has anyone here experienced driver flex? I just got a new IM70 and it has driver flex on the right side when I insert the eartip, but it's less noticeable if I do it gently. However, I do notice a considerable pressure or physical congestion (sound is fine) building up on that side. It's worse with Phillips SHE3590 tips and not as bad with the stock tips. It seems it's not vented properly and the seal is too "good", but I don't want to poke the vents or filters just yet... then I might go back to the good old channel imbalance i had before... lol

I think what you're  experiencing is something I commonly experienced with the IM50 when I first got it.
What I found it to be was sinking, due to your canals, since they aren't going to be  exactly the same in both ears(mine are), the stem of the IEM itself will fit in awkwardly, come out as congested, and very flushed sounding.
A little bit of insight though, it's harder to tell if you've never had your canals tested, or you don't own any Custom IEMs, but I think I've narrowed your issue down.

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #1,095 of 1,524

Haven't heard the Sony earphones. However, is there any way you can audition the IEMs on your shortlist? Our recommendations and impressions can only get you so far; it's important to try them (if you can), and see if they fit your music preferences.

With that said, between the IM50 and the IM70, I'd recommend the latter. It's a clearer IEM with slightly less mid-bass.

I own both the EX650AP and the IM70, I have to say there is no competition in terms of sound quality, the IM70 is on a higher tier. Whilst the EX650AP's bass has more punch and quantity compared to the IM70 it is somewhat muddy in comparison. However, the harsh and uneven treble response on a lot of songs is what sets it behind the IM70. That being said, the EX650AP does do some things exceptionally well, like the build quality where the housing is made of brass and high density plastic, as well as a nice cable with inline mic and one button remote for your phone. The ergonomics are simpler than the IM70, it is comfortable and should stay in your ears well.

As a response, these are the most accurate to your answer!

But if you want a safer answer, the most bold, truthful, & honest answer is this.
Whether it be the EX650AP, or the IM70 it's gonna be completely subjective since nobody's ear work the same.
We can each only give you our experience as hearing, & tasting things are all very subjective, nobody is ever gonna hear things the same.

I'd recommend you find a place you can test them if there's one around you, and determine the answer yourself. A bit of a harsh answer, but the safest.
EX650AP I can tell you in itself is a bit more worm, while I'd make a bold statement and say that the IM70 reminds me a lot of the ATH-M50 with a brighter treble.
I also think that if you're looking for resolution, you might go with the IM70, or I would at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back