Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Jul 1, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #272 of 1,524
  I think the seal is OK, because the bass is strong and good. Stock tips are really not that good, I use now the IE8s foam tips, which give a slightly better result. The silicon tips of the IE8s don't fit well.
It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem, although most people are satisfied, there are some comments here about similar opinions of its treble.
I'll wait a few more weeks, and see is further burn in helps, but don't have high hopes. It seems that I can get new replacement driver for my IE8. If its not that expensive, I'll replace the bad left side and use it for a few more years. I think I was just hoping more after the positive reviews, and reading such things, that its similar to the M50. No, it is not, they are sounding completely different.

dont bother doing anything about the im50 or im70, from what you describe they are just not for you listening preference...tips and filter mods are not going to make a great leap from where or what you are hearing now...am using the im70 and they are almost a carbon copy of m50 but better sub bass...if yours is totally off from m50 sound, one of them may be faulty. i sold the m50 as im70 does what it do but better and smaller in size.

i did the filter removal thingy and ended up putting it back. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #273 of 1,524
Hey guys! New user here, but been partially interested in IEMs for a while now. I must say that I got the IM50s somewhat on impulse after testing a pair and honestly they're worthy of being the bargain of the century. I bought it at Stereo at Plaza Singapura for SGD88, the same price as my previous pair, a Fischer Audio Consonance v.1. Great sound from the duo-dynamic drivers and really impressive isolation from the complimentary pair of Comply tips. Sound wise, I would say it's got a very meaty and strong bass kick, but the balance with the highs got it for me. Mids are slightly less emphasized on but they don't lose clarity or focus as it blends well and complements the highs and lows. I also tested the IM70s and for anyone who wonders about the difference, I would say that the IM50s are a little less bassy and more balanced compared to the cleaner, stronger bass kick from the IM70s. Overall impression of the IM50s, they're a fantastic pair to get. Over-ear memory cables are quite secure, Comply foam tips seal very well, detachable cables are great and handy, and the duo-dynamic drivers at the price is a pretty damn good deal. Do consider if you're tight on a budget and want a great sounding pair of IEMs. Kudos to Audio Technica!

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #274 of 1,524
Wow are you my doppelganger bro? I also got a FA Consonance at Stereo PS at that price and absolutely enjoy them. Now most of the time I am alternating from my FXT90s and IM50s and agree with most of your impressions.

Now for the traditional welcome:

Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet!

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #276 of 1,524
Wow are you my doppelganger bro? I also got a FA Consonance at Stereo PS at that price and absolutely enjoy them. Now most of the time I am alternating from my FXT90s and IM50s and agree with most of your impressions.

Now for the traditional welcome:

Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet!

Woah serious??? Cool!! Haha I love the pair and I think I'll be sticking to it for a while until I save up enough for a higher end, maybe hybrid driver IEMs? But awesome to hear man it's nice to meet you and thank you so much!! Aiyah 88 is a small price to pay for something this good

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #277 of 1,524
Some people say the IM50 has more bass and some people say the IM70 has more bass? :confused:

This is also a bit confusing for me, but for my ears the main difference is IM70 is more airy and treble sparkle is more refined (this is based on memory now as i auditioned them a few weeks ago) IM50 has a smaller soundstage compared to the IM70. IM50 has better bass impact but both can go low.

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #278 of 1,524
Woah serious??? Cool!! Haha I love the pair and I think I'll be sticking to it for a while until I save up enough for a higher end, maybe hybrid driver IEMs? But awesome to hear man it's nice to meet you and thank you so much!! Aiyah 88 is a small price to pay for something this good

Likewise, the IM50 is one of the best bang for buck iems around right now though a lot of good cheap iems are now coming out from china like the Havi B3 pro, Ostry, Tenore, etc.

so the bar for price to performance ratio has now been set way up there and the bigger companies need to be more competitive.

If you are interested on hybrids there is a pre-order now for some T-Peos 3 way hybrids they call it Altone200 and goes for $125 with shipping. And yeah, I jumped on that bandwagon myself.

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #279 of 1,524
Those $20 cables look interesting, will get one for my IM50s and if build quality is good then I will consider the silvers.

Thanks for sharing!

I think they will be more of a replacement cable rather than "enhacement" cable.  If anything, I would wait until they have one with in-line remote :)  That's what I got for UE900 from them, to have in-line remote with multi-function button and volume up/down for Galaxy phones.

Btw, I just ordered the silver cable.  Will post my impressions once I receive it.

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #280 of 1,524
I just bought the IM70s but I found that none of the supplied tips gave a good seal - I think I have big ear holes - so bass was very lacking and isolation was poor. I bought some Comply comfort (the more rounded ones) which are a lot better, but ideally I'd like some even larger. The best tips I've ever used are the largest Shure foams. Does anyone know of anything similar to these that will fit the IM70s?

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #281 of 1,524
I think they will be more of a replacement cable rather than "enhacement" cable.  If anything, I would wait until they have one with in-line remote :)  That's what I got for UE900 from them, to have in-line remote with multi-function button and volume up/down for Galaxy phones.

Btw, I just ordered the silver cable.  Will post my impressions once I receive it.

I get what you mean as a replacement instead of enhancement but perhaps improve comfort when wearing them. I personally prefer the one without remote or mic though.

Thats cool! Will be waiting for your impressions. Cheers!

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #282 of 1,524
TrancerSte said:
.I just bought the IM70s but I found that none of the supplied tips gave a good seal - I think I have big ear holes - so bass was very lacking and isolation was poor. I bought some Comply comfort (the more rounded ones) which are a lot better, but ideally I'd like some even larger. The best tips I've ever used are the largest Shure foams. Does anyone know of anything similar to these that will fit the IM70s?

could be due to e shape of e iem ttthan ur ear hole. Try twisting e iem around w e different tips.

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #283 of 1,524
I just bought the IM70s but I found that none of the supplied tips gave a good seal - I think I have big ear holes - so bass was very lacking and isolation was poor. I bought some Comply comfort (the more rounded ones) which are a lot better, but ideally I'd like some even larger. The best tips I've ever used are the largest Shure foams. Does anyone know of anything similar to these that will fit the IM70s?

Do this mod.:wink:

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #284 of 1,524
There hasn't been any iem yet which I enjoyed the vocal lineraty other than IM50 including hi trier Er4s.
It is that much beautiful. I don't even touch my Re0 after listening unfiltered IM50. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back